Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Disney’s Splash Mountain Being Reimagined

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Disney:

Splash Mountain – at both Disneyland park in California and Magic Kingdom park in Florida – will soon be completely reimagined. The theme is inspired by an all-time favorite animated Disney film, “The Princess and the Frog.” We pick up this story after the final kiss, and join Princess Tiana and Louis on a musical adventure – featuring some of the powerful music from the film – as they prepare for their first-ever Mardi Gras performance.

The replies to the first tweet I saw about this news this morning was one helluva “people being big mad online” rollercoaster to wake up to.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I am dreading the moment my parents find out about this. It’s gonna be a hell of an argument.

Orla and theasteriskera like this.
  3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Honestly? I'm still heartbroken about Tower Of Terror becoming Guardians of the Galaxy.

4. WasteSomeTime

Regular

Didn't know this happened

anonimito likes this.
  5. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

This feels disingenuous to me but maybe I’m being too cynical.

6. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

It started with a fan initiated petition, if that helps sway your opinion in either direction

7. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

I’m way more upset about Tower of Terror then Splash Mountain. I was shocked to learn Splash Mountain opened in 1989 since Song of the South was already “banned” by then.

anonimito, Brent and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  8. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Apparently they've been working on the concept for this for a year

9. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

thanks for that, I didn’t know!

theasteriskera likes this.
  10. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Yeah they’ve been working on changing the majority of their non-IP rides into IP rides. That’s why Tower is now Guardians, Space Mountain has been a Star Wars ride off and on... not surprised this has been in the works for a while but them announcing it now is definitely because of the petition

11. Indigo

Trusted

Definitely less upset by this than Tower of Terror.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  12. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Disney owns the rights to Song of the South. So I think it's more accurate to say they are updating rides to relevant IP.

That being said, I wish Disney would more heavily pursue unique or new IP specifically for their parks. I love all of the jules verne themed attractions.

grimis16 likes this.
  13. There's no way kids knew who the characters of Splash Mountain were during that ride, other than just being "the characters from Splash Mountain." But us older fans who know better, I can see why people would think it's inappropriate. Might be an awkward conversation for parents when the kids ask which that those characters are from.

Turning it into a Princess and the Frog movie makes a lot more sense, in the long run.

Also: Maybe a dumb question, but what does "IP" stand for?

Professor Plumbob likes this.
  14. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Intellectual Property

bradsonemanband likes this.
  15. jjnunn118

I mean Song of The South barely counts as an IP anymore because it’s been scrubbed so hard. Once Splash is gone all that’s left is Zippidy-Doo-Da.

Intellectual Property. Basically a big name thing that will bring in fans of the property, like taking Space Mountain and adding Star Wars like they’ve been doing periodically.

16. bradsonemanband likes this.
  17. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

posted this in the theme park thread earlier, but I absolutely love what they did with Tower of Terror in DCA converting it into Guardians. That ride is SO much fun. My gut reaction to this is sadness but I understand the why, and at the end of the day I trust the imagineers.

Raku, CMilliken and Professor Plumbob like this.
  18. I wish they'd just make a Marvel theme park somewhere.

sawhney[rusted]2 and zachmacD like this.
  19. zachmacD

Trusted

Personally, I could careless about Splash Mountain. It’ll be cool to Ride/see it with a new theme. Pretty bummed about Tower of Terror though. The twilight zone theme was one of my favorites throughout WDW.

Speaking of Marvel though, USO needs to do something with the marvel section of Islands of Adventure. Everything else about that park is incredible but when you get to the marvel land, it feels like you’re at Six Flags. Rides are cool but the land itself needs some updating

20. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

they are in California adventure

21. jjnunn118

Tower is still there in World, they just reskinned it in Land.

Brent likes this.
  22. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

A Small land with a ride shoehorned into an old theater building. Hardly anything close to a full theme park.

Anyways, I'm bummed on this as I absolutely loved the ride growing up minuets from the park. I can still remember the time I was finally tall enough to go on it with my family (we were Annual Passholders for years). The songs were so fun to sing along to while on it, and the entire layout/build up was/is just so perfect. Surprisingly enough I've never seen the movie it's based off of, and really have no desire to going forward. My oldest loved it when she was finally tall enough to go on it at WDW (the far inferior one of the two) two years ago, haven't told her about the change yet but I'm sure she'll be thrilled as she loves tPatF. I'm sure this won't open for at least 3 years, knowing how slow the American parks are at construction timelines.

23. jeff.dart

Regular

I have many fond memories of this ride, for the last 27 years, and was fortunate enough to do it one last time last fall. Needless to say, it has lost some of its magic with age and I felt it was long over due for a makeover. I’m happy to hear it is going to be re themed, I would like to see them make an additional restaurant in the theme of the movie as well. Would be pretty cool.

24. hongfong00

The sky had blackened with carrion birds. Supporter

So true. The Twilight Zone theme was so great.