Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Discog Runs

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Horrorca, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Horrorca

Trusted

so... something I loved doing as a kid was going through an artist's full discography

I loved tracking the evolution of the artist, it's development, overarching themes, etc - finding the wild card albums, the "missteps" and so on and so forth

with the way music consumption changed and also because I spread out so much taste-wise, it started happening a lot less frequently

but I'm going through a Brian Eno phase and it reminded me of how much I enjoyed exploring a single artist - specially one with a long, complex discog like him

last one I did before him was Spoon

here are my thoughts:

Telephono: Actual (ignored) debut which is cool
    Series of Sneaks: underrated "debut"
    Girls Can Tell: the hidden masterpiece - favorite album of the "real" fan
    Kill the Moonlight: the critical masterpiece
    Gimmie Fiction: their (actual) magnum opus
    GA GA GA GA GA: the oh shit for some reasons I thought Spoon couldn't produce another amazing album album
    Transference: the obtuse, dark album that is secretly, actually their best album, the contrarian album [IN AN ALTERNATE (CRITICAL) NARRATIVE, THEIR FALL FROM GRACE] [ALSO MY FAVORITE]
    They Want My Soul: the this is not even funny, how can a band continue to kick ass in this way after eight LP's album - also, the chart topping single after decades album [IN AN ALTERNATE NARRATIVE, RETURN TO GRACE]

share some discog runs, it's super fun!

phaynes12 likes this.
  2. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Discog runs I’ve done this past quarantine. Will be using this thread for my next ones

PJ Harvey
    Destroyer
    Curtis Mayfield
    Steely Dan
    Donna Summer
    Julia Holter
    Julianna Barwick
    Cate Le Bon

3. cherrywaves

Trusted

Did this a bit when I lived at home and had to commute multiple hours. Would love to do a Steely Dan run through, I’ve been listening to Aja a ton

Cody likes this.
  4. cherrywaves

Trusted

Danzig: first four are 10/10 classics. The less said about the following albums, the better. Although the 2010 record is actually pretty good.

Slayer: honestly a surprisingly consistent discog. The covers record is useless, and Diabolous is not very good, but everything else is “fine” at absolute worst.

Nine Inch Nails: incredible evolution over time. Newest record is extremely cool. Broken through The Fragile is an elite run.

phaynes12 likes this.
  5. Cody

Yo not sure if it’d be your first time to any of their other material, but I highly recommend. every single pre-00s album is stellar. Maybe the most consistent discography I’ve ever listened through

6. Cody

I feel like I’d been hating on these guys for years for no real reason?? And then recently listened to the singles on YouTube and realized I may have been way off or just not ready for them. High on my list

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

full discography runs is basically the only way i listen to music anymore haha

8. phaynes12

truly one of the GOATs

9. cherrywaves

Trusted

I would say at bare minimum check out The Downward Spiral

phaynes12 likes this.
  10. phaynes12

The Verve - starting off with one of the best shoegaze albums ever, moving to weird Pink Floyd-influenced pop rock, to one of the most ubiquitous rock albums of the 90s and then reuniting to drop an album that mixes all three doesn’t get discussed enough

oasis - every album is 12 out of 10 perfect, except heathen chemistry which is 11/10, get shit on @Marx&Recreation and @irthesteve

11. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

What is Oasis?

phaynes12 likes this.
  12. phaynes12

13. Cody

NIN Pretty Hate Machine

I feel like the singles I rediscovered from these guys are all from releases after this one. That being said, I think the second half of this easily whomps the first half save for Head like a Hole, and overall I get the impression that the things I’m really going to love about this band have not been perfected on PHM. I assume that abrasion and rigidity are some of NIN’s biggest selling points but their patented cyborgian blend of man and machine seems a bit unbalanced still. The vocal performance seems as good as I’ve been told it always is and the melodies are pretty powerful more often than not but besides Sin and Only Time settling in a bit this comes off more as a record by a band still fully figuring out what it is they’re incredible at.

cherrywaves likes this.
  14. phaynes12

fwiw pretty hate machine is one of my least favorite of trent’s albums. the jump up between that and broken EP is pretty wild

cherrywaves likes this.
  15. cherrywaves

Trusted

Watching the Broken movie at age 12 was quite the experience

phaynes12 likes this.
  16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

last band i really went through every album with was the dillinger escape plan not even a few weeks ago. first of all, what a fucking band and discog, every album is a ripper and i have nothing bad to say about any of them. however i am not an old school fan so calculating infinity is not the end all be all for me like it is for some of their older fans. also, this was the first time i really spent any time with irony is a dead scene, which is just a fucking mind boggling piece of work that ive become obsessed with in the last few weeks. love miss machine and ire works a lot but you can tell greg was still coming into his own and the patton influence was a little too obvious at times. option paralysis remains my favorite album by them, tied with one of us is the killer, which is just a masterful one-two punch run of albums. that's when they really became the dillinger escape plan that i love so much. and i dont think there could've been a better way to tie it all together than dissociation, showing how far they've come and everything they've accomplished as possibly the biggest mathcore band ever.