Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dirty Projectors - Lamp Lit Prose (July 13, 2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Drewski, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Lotttttt of new tunes last night. Had to be about 7 or 8 of the 17 songs they played. Considering S/T was my AOTY last year, only getting 3 songs from it ( Little Bubble, Keep Your Name, Cool Your Heart) was kind of a bummer, but I digress.

The new songs sounded good, with the one referencing "lamp lit prose" (though it's apparently not called that) sticking out the most for me. Harmonies from the new women in the band sounded pretty great, and the vibe is overall definitely a pivot back to Bitte Orca era stuff.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Just got back from tonight's show and echo a lot of what's above. Lots of new stuff, but I really dug most of it. the opener was hectic and really cool, the new all-female vocal track was great, overall a really great show. I think there was a good mix of older stuff as well, and honestly I do understand why he probably doesn't want to play a ton from the last album since he didn't even tour for it, probably hurts to perform them

3. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

4. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

Very solid

5. irthesteve

album's "out there" in the wild

6. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Excited to listen! Might just wait for my preorder to arrive at this point...

7. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

On track 3 and this is SUPER COOL!!! I'm a big fan so far.

zmtr likes this.
  8. zmtr

Trusted

ummm this is very good

Drewski and wisdomfordebris like this.
  9. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

So, I sort of braced myself for a drop off with this one since self-titled was my AOTY last year and I was pretty lukewarm on the material when I saw the play 7-8 songs from it last month. Happy to report I was very wrong.

I really, really dig this on first listen. The songs didn't have horns or the guest spots live, both which add a ton of layers and bounce to the sound. There are parts of this that remind me a bit of early 70's Van Morrison, which is a serious piece of praise. Very excited to dive into this more, definitely a great record to release smack in the middle of the summer.

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  10. zmtr

Trusted

The horns are amazing all over this thing.

11. azzy01

Regular

This album is amazing. Probably their best in a long time. Love how he incorporated sounds from self titled with their older sound.

12. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Listened to this 3 or 4 times yesterday. It’s really good.

13. zmtr Jul 14, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 14, 2018)
    zmtr

Trusted

I only listened to this twice today but it’s been stuck in the back of my mind all night. This is gonna fly completely under the radar.

It’s perfect mix of everything Dave does best. Dude is a musical mad scitneist.

Drewski and Kuri44 like this.
  14. azzy01

Regular

Yea... Not sure why this isn't getting more praise/ recognition

Kuri44 likes this.
  15. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

To me it felt like the roll out was incredibly quiet. I forgot about it till Thursday night tbh.

16. radiodead

Trusted

This was pretty good. I love “Right Now” and “Zombie Conqueror”. Glad that “Break Thru” is the worst song here.

Sometimes the R&B vibes don’t do it for me with DP.

17. Horrorca

Trusted

as the singles hinted, this is closer to Bitte Orca than s/t

really good

although that style peaked with BO and SLM (although SLM has a very unique atmosphere)

without a doubt one of the most interesting rock/pop music arches I’ve lived through

Drewski, zmtr and Kuri44 like this.
  18. irthesteve

This is great

19. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Loveeeee the part on Right Now when Dave sings "you pulled me up when you took my hand / there was silence in my heart / and now I'm striking up the band" and the horns come in. Great moment.

20. radiodead

Trusted

Album is growing on me a ton. It’s so breezy. A great summer record.

21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Been listening to this. It's really fun and puts a smile on my face.

22. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I like this album a whole lot but I haven't been coming back to it much—espeically compared to self-titled which was my AOTY last year. Either way, I think both of these records have been really overlooked, especially for a band long held up as indie darlings. Odd.

23. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I don’t like this anywhere as much as the S/T but there are definitely highlights

Drewski likes this.
  24. irthesteve

Overall I do dig the s/t more, but I LOVE that album a ton. This one is really good though, no qualms about it

25. irthesteve