Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Director Spotlight: Wes Craven

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

upload_2021-4-27_11-13-46.png

Feel free to list ideas for other threads here

2. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

it's Scream for me

trevorshmevor likes this.
  3. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Just re-watched The People Under The Stairs and it's a lot of fun

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Scream baby

Aaron Mook likes this.
  5. Scream
    A Nightmare on Elm Street
    Scream 2
    The People Under the Stairs
    Dream Warriors
    The Hills Have Eyes
    --------------------------
    New Nightmare
    The Hills Have Eyes 2 (2007)

All good stuff with the exception of those last two. Is Shocker worth watching? It's been on my list for a minute

Contender likes this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

There's some good gore in the HHE remake, from what I remember

7. Watched both remakes within the past year or so for a podcast and I'd say the first one is okay, creepy and effective at least, but the second one was a turd and a half

8. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

It’s a Scream baby!…hold on a sec, I’ll be right back..

9. chris

Trusted Supporter

gotta be Scream

10. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

It'd have to be The People Under the Stairs for me, I know A Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream are the more influential efforts of his but I just adore the social commentary that TPUS has while it manages to be highly entertaining at the same time.

DarkHotline likes this.
  11. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Scream.

12. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Scream and A Nightmare on Elm Street are excellent.

The Hills Have Eyes is pretty good but pretty B-movie.

Music of the Heart is solid middle-of-the-road Oscar stuff with a dependably really good Meryl Streep performance.

Vampire in Brooklyn mostly sucks. Wes wanted to make a comedy and Eddie wanted to make a horror movie and it doesn't end up being much of either.

I still have a LOT to see from him.

13. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

Scream and NOES are 2 of my favorite horror films of all time. I watched Scream so many times the year after it came out that I could practically recite the entire movie.

14. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Had no idea he directed Red Eye

15. I really enjoyed Red Eye growing up, don't remember too much about it though

16. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

My siblings let me watch The People Under The Stairs when I was way too young for it and I loved that movie as a kid lol

riotspray likes this.
  17. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The People Under The Stairs is probably one of the best fuck yous to the Reagan years ever put to film. Also, I feel like New Nightmare deserves more love than it gets, it’s a fantastic meta horror movie and the theme of not being able to escape your past using Heather, Robert, and Wes being haunted by Freddy both figuratively and literally is brilliant.

18. secretsociety92

Wholly agree with you on both of those films.

DarkHotline likes this.
  19. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

The stylistic differences between New Nightmare and Scream are so drastic given the fact they're only separated by 2 years. Like, New Nightmare holds such an 80s vibe whereas Scream is so obviously 90s.

20. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Red Eye is super underrated. An excellent thriller.

secretsociety92 and mike1885 like this.
  21. secretsociety92

That is the case with a lot of early nineties media though, don't think some realize how much of the 80s seeped into the 90s.

22. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Scream set the standard for the rest of the 90’s and well into the early 2000’s, so many movies chased that formula.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  23. Had a lot of fun revisiting the Scream franchise this week

24. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

The fact that Craven as a director was able to basically re-invent horror at least three times in different decades during his career is mindblowing. A true loss that will never be replaced. Enough things have been said about NOES/Scream1+2/Hills, and it's hard for me to pick a favorite at this point (probably leaning towards Scream 1/2).

Maybe due to my relationship and what we have bonded over together, but I have a deep love for his later work especially My Soul to Take and Scream 4.