Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Director Spotlight: Steven Spielberg

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Good luck with the impossible task of picking one or ranking these.

upload_2021-3-1_8-45-40.png

Pick your fave! Tell us why!

Feel free to list ideas for other threads here

2. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Jaws.

3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Munich became my favorite when I first saw it some 5-6 years ago, I'd like to revisit. His post 9/11 genre work is fascinatingly political, War of the Worlds takes Tom Cruise, a symbol of American exceptionalism, and turns him into a reactionary and selfish coward. He's settled into more overtly political work like Lincoln, Bridge of Spies and The Post, all of which I like, but they don't feel as biting as the political bent to stuff like Minority Report and War of the Worlds.

He has a fair share of misses as well, Ready Player One didn't subvert it's garbage source material the way I hoped he would, and while Saving Private Ryan is a masterclass in direction, I'd like to take a more thorough look at its politics, as I haven't seen it since I was like 17. At the time I wasn't thinking as much about depictions of the American military in film, and I've read analysis that finds it misguided, something I think he recognized and re-directed in his 2000s output.

Obviously Jaws is incredible. Just one of the best constructed films of all-time and it alone would cement his legacy as one of the masters. Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park are artifacts of when big budget blockbusters valued craft as much as "content".

I haven't seen A.I. Artificial Intelligence or Empire of the Sun, they feel like the most interesting of his work that I haven't seen. I've also been curious about Duel.

4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Be sure to read all of the controversies about Munich when going back and watching. Some of the historical stuff is whacky.

5. Morrissey

Trusted

The Terminal.

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it’s jaws, but munich has a special place in my heart

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Minority Report jk maybe not

It's pretty incredible how close encounters and jurassic park are more about people than aliens and dinosaurs

Brother Beck likes this.
  8. Morrissey

Trusted

Has there ever been another director to influence our own ideas of the world? From sharks to dinosaurs to aliens to concentration camps to war to Biblical legend, our images in our head are so often his images.

9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Schindler's List is the one for me.

Brother Beck likes this.
  10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Watching Jaws this week in class babyyy

phaynes12 likes this.
  11. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Jurassic Park bar none.

Brother Beck likes this.
  12. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

JP
    Jaws
    Minority Report

meaning to re watch Bridge of Spies

13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Jurassic Park, Schindler’s List, Saving Private Ryan, Close Encounters of the Third Kind... absolute legendary films.

The Lost World will always have a huge place in my heart, too. Favorite movie as a kid.

14. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

No way I can pick 1, 3, 5, or 10.... Way too many. How the hell do you rank them.

If I say Steven Spielberg, I immediately think Schindlers List. I think Jaws. I think Jurassic Park. Then I get tired remembering those 3.... all incredible.

jkauf likes this.
  15. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Faves (in no particular order):
    Minority Report
    Jaws
    Catch Me If You Can
    Jurassic Park

Glaring Omission:
    I still need to see Schindler’s List.

Hot Takes:
    Close Encounters is okay.
    The Last Crusade > Raiders

Brother Beck likes this.
  16. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Fuck it. I liked Ready Player One.

Never read the book tho

17. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Temple of Doom, but only the first half

18. aliens exist

pure on main

close encounters is his only film that i like/love

19. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Wild

Cameron likes this.
  20. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

A.I. needs more love. I'm not saying it's his best, but it is his most underrated and a hidden masterpiece.

SpyKi likes this.
  21. Morrissey

Trusted

The Terminal and Ready Player One are his worst films, but I haven't seen all of his work. The Lost World is probably the most underrated, while Minority Report would be the most overrated.

Best is so hard. Jaws is the default answer, but if we take legacy into account it is partially responsible for the rise of the blockbuster. I haven't seen E.T. in over twenty years. Jurassic Park might be the pick, mostly because it is the one most tied to my generation's early childhood.

22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

ai deserves more love

23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

lmao didn’t see this

24. Ready player one gets a lot of shit which is fine but it is way better than the book and is a fun movie. Its still bottom tier spielberg but I find it very watchable.

Also Hook is the best live action peter pan.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  25. Serh Mar 1, 2021
    (Last edited: Mar 2, 2021)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

how high is the live action peter pan movie bar, really