Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Director Spotlight: Spike Lee

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Ditching the idea of polls completely.

Let's talk about everyone's favorite Knicks fan.

Pick your fave! Tell us why!

Feel free to list ideas for other threads here

upload_2021-2-22_15-9-14.png

aoftbsten likes this.
  2. Morrissey

Trusted

Do the Right Thing is an important film in so many ways, but 25th Hour is such a remarkable and emotional film. Many of the great films are at least partially accidental, and the 9/11 connections to a small story about the last day of a drug dealer were a welcome antidote when the world was so confusing.

DrAlanGrant and OhTheWater like this.
  3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Do the Right Thing is a masterpiece, and his essential film. It’s honest and the rare truly radical film that can be read as positing violence as a valid response to racism. But it’s not just the ideas, the vibrant colors of the cinematography, largely reds and yellows, make the heat of the summer day feel real in the cinema itself. A masterwork.

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

He’s also unique in that he tries a lot of different things, like a David Byrne performance or an Oldboy remake, even a Do the Right Thing sequel (which I haven’t seen). He doesn’t always stick the landing and they can be messy, but something like Chi-Raq is an absurdist mess that still works very well. It’s hard to find a similar voice.

Bamboozled is currently on Criterion Channel and one of his that I wish I saw more talk about.

5. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X and 25th Hour are my favourites of his.

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I haven’t seen a lot, but I do love 25th Hour

7. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Perfect timing, I've been going through all his films recently. Do The Right Thing is probably his best, but I'd nominate Jungle Fever for one of his best too. Despite its head-scratching last shot, it provides a nuanced view of how prejudice and racial insecurities develop, particularly how they are inherited from parents. It's a top-tier Sam Jackson performance.

8. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Do the right thing for sure

9. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This is the thing I love about his films. Even when they aren't good, they're still interesting.

10. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Probably 25th hour. Inside man is a lot of fun.

11. Morrissey

Trusted

The scene in 2th Hour where Monty and his dad are imagining a potential future, with the bus pulling away to reveal Naturelle as the music swells, is always breathtaking.

imthesheriff, SpyKi and aoftbsten like this.
  12. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Inside Man belongs in the heist movie canon.

CarpetElf likes this.
  13. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Waiting for the Oldboy stan to show up

14. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I watched School Daze for the first time a few weeks ago and had no idea it was a semi-musical. The Good and Bad Hair number came out of nowhere.

15. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I didn't like the original so I had no desire to watch it remade.

16. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

SpyKi likes this.
  17. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Do The Right Thing is his best.

BlacKkKlansman is my personal favorite.

18. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

It was hyped up to me so much prior to watching and I was let down. I might give it another shot one day, but it just didn't do anything for me.

19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

kills me that i've seen da sweet blood of jesus and st. anna but haven't seen 25th hour or bamboozled

SpyKi likes this.
  20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

i did however get to see do the right thing remastered on the big screen, that was excellent

imthesheriff and aoftbsten like this.
  21. username

hey you lil piss baby

The answer is Bamboozled

22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

do the right thing is an all timer. i have a lot of nostalgia for crooklyn bc it was one of three or four vhs tapes we had in the car for long drives

23. I'm surprised people are so high on inside man. I'm a big denzel fan so I've always loved it.

25th hour or blackkklansman would be my favorite

24. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I havent seen them all, but if Do the Right Thing is on TV, Im stopping to watch it, every day and twice on Sunday.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  25. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I love Do The Right Thing and a bunch of others. My girlfriend introduced me to Crooklyn, one of her favorites. I showed her BlacKKKlansman to her and she really liked it. I saw Spike speak at a college around 2005 and he talked about his career and encouraged young people to follow their passions since that’s what he did. But my one takeaway was that he held a grudge against The Oscars since Do The Right Thing was not nominated for Best Picture but remains socially relevant today meanwhile most people have forgotten about Driving Miss Daisy.

imthesheriff likes this.