Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Director Spotlight: Ridley Scott

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, May 11, 2021.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

upload_2021-5-11_10-16-14.png

Feel free to list ideas for other threads here

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I’m not as big on him as others are but I understand why he has the reputation he does. Alien is incredible and I loved Gladiator but those are the only two I’d put over any of my favorite Tony Scott.

3. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Wild that he completely changed the aesthetic of sci fi in just two films back to back.

Brother Beck likes this.
  4. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

First I think of is Alien and Blade Runner.

I didnt realize Thelma/Louise... Thats a classic also.

5. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Alien and Blade runner. I want to rewatch match stick men I remember enjoying that. Lots of good stuff though.

6. Gotta be honest, I don't love Blade Runner, but I do love Alien, Prometheus, and Covenant.

7. Morrissey

Trusted

What Tony Scott films are better than Blade Runner?

mike1885, SpyKi and Your Milkshake like this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I haven't seen much Tony Scott, but Spy Game was quite possibly my least favorite theater experience of all time.

9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I forgot Blade Runner because I didn’t love it when I initially saw it but have come to think more highly of it. I think True Romance, Crimson Tide, and Unstoppable sit alongside or above Ridley Scott’s non-Alien/Blade Runner work for me

10. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

hard to go against alien and blade runner but i also find him to be fairly consistent

11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Ridley's made plenty of good films but Alien and Blade Runner are the greatest

SpyKi and Your Milkshake like this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

Overall I am usually surprised when people get excited for a new Ridley Scott film since he has been pretty mediocre in the last almost-40 years.

However, for a brief moment, he was a rare sight: a mainstream filmmaker with a vision and a purpose. It is such a beautiful film, much more appealing and much more grounded than decades of progress and hundreds of millions of dollars in computer effects can create. I have never particularly liked the replicant vs. human argument for Deckard, though, as it always felt like the experiences of the known replicants in the film and their similarities to humans was the whole point.

13. phaynes12

blade runner was within the last 40 years. almost the entirety of his career has been within that time frame.

Anthony_ likes this.
  14. Morrissey

Trusted

Blade Runner was 1982, which is why I said almost 40 years. I am specifically referring to post-Blade Runner.

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I still don’t think I “get” Blade Runner. Alien is dope obviously. Tony>>

16. Morrissey

Trusted

The one that has always bothered me is Black Hawk Down. Truffaut once said that "there is no such thing as an anti-war film", but other films at least tried to have some humanity to them. Is there even a named Somali character in the entire film? It is such an exhausting experience.

Victor Eremita and stars143 like this.
  17. Morrissey

Trusted

Because you failed the Voight-Kampff test.

18. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

yeah Blade Runner is a masterpiece production-wise but I never found it to all that incredible thematically

19. I really think 2049 is superior tbh

Contender and secretsociety92 like this.
  20. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

2049 is a much better story but both are great for their own reasons.

21. phaynes12

american gangster and the martian are particularly good “recent” fare from him

aspeedomodel and cshadows2887 like this.
  22. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

You are the last person on this site who should be saying this

23. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I like 2049 alot but OG Blade Runner clearly has the better narrative imo.

The escaped fugitive replicants trying to prolong their stunted life spans is just a really cool idea. And making the film’s protagonist be the guy who is tasked with bringing them down is an inspired choice for the narrative.

Brother Beck likes this.
  24. Morrissey

Trusted

Are you suggesting that they would make robots that refuse to wear jeans? That would make them poor workers.

25. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

BR and Alien are 100% worth the hype

The Duellists, Gladiator, and Kingdom of Heaven rule too last I remember

SpyKi and DarkHotline like this.