Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Director Spotlight: Favorite Tim Burton Film

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

upload_2021-3-29_10-5-22.png

Pick your fave! Tell us why!

Feel free to list ideas for other threads here

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I love Big Fish so damn much.

jkauf and SpyKi like this.
  3. blast0rama Mar 29, 2021
    (Last edited: Mar 29, 2021)
    blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

While Batman was a movie which absolutely shaped me as a human (I was 4 going on 5 when it came out, and I loved comic books, so you can imagine how it warped me), Big Fish is an absolute masterwork, truly an all-timer.

EDIT: Mars Attacks! is my dark horse fav. Such a surreal joy of a movie.

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah that one has to be my favourite, just love the aesthetic and storytelling. I also love Edward Scissorhands and like Sweeny Todd more than most seem to.

Alice in Wonderland and Dark Shadows are two of the most unlikable films I've ever seen though, the guy has a huge gap between his best and worst.

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I love Beetlejuice Michael Keaton is iconic as Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is his masterpiece

Anthony_ likes this.
  6. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Ed Wood is a truly under appreciated movie

7. Morrissey

Trusted

This is the easiest one. Ed Wood is such a great work about the contradiction between the American idea that anyone can be whatever they want and the crushing reality that people are always going to have natural limitations. There are lots of fun earlier Burton films, but Ed Wood is one where he showed an ability for comedy that recontextualizes the way people think about Ed Wood and Bela Lugosi.

Victor Eremita and DarkHotline like this.
  8. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

9. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Martin Landau’s performance of Lugosi was truly exceptional, he captured just how heartbreaking Lugosi’s final years were in his acting and it absolutely elevated that movie.

10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

There are extremely few directors who have had such a strong run to start their career. And then such an extremely hard fall ever since lol

It's a tough call but I think my favorite Burton film is probably Batman Returns.

riotspray likes this.
  11. Morrissey

Trusted

It works so well because Burton clearly has a fondness for Wood, Lugosi, and that entire era. It is very different from The Disaster Artist, where it felt much more like mocking.

DarkHotline likes this.
  12. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Only two getting praise in the thread are the only two I haven't seen lol

Victor Eremita likes this.
  13. Batman/Batman Returns

Matt Chylak and Henry like this.
  14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

top 3: ed wood, big fish, batman returns

big fan of two-word title tim

15. soggytime

Trusted

Ed Wood and it's not even close. One of my all time favorites

16. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Seriously. The run up until like Mars Attacks is super solid, and then... (to be fair, maybe even through Big Fish, but I haven't seen Sleepy Hollow or POTA since they were released)

Pee Wee's Big Adventure has to get my vote though. I was a HUGE Pee Wee fan as a toddler.

17. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I watched Pee Wee for the first time last year and couldn't stand it, haha. I get that it's the point but he is so annoying.

18. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

yeah Ed Wood is the easy pick though I loved Pee Wee and Batman as a kid/teen.

19. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Peewee's Big Adventure still rules, great movie

riotspray likes this.
  20. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

this is so good. I believe it's my favorite superhero movie

21. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Big Fish

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I need to see Ed Wood, so Batman Returns. Beetlejuice and Mars Attacks also rule. Pee Wee was fun but I haven't seen it enough.

23. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

IIRC, when I ran a movie theater - mars attacks lasted 1 week, before they shipped it out due to bad numbers.

Ed Wood started in the smallest auditorium and maybe lasted 2 weeks. Was it up for an Academy? That didnt help.

My faves? Tough to say....

If Beetlejuice is on, and Im skimming, I will stop.
    If Edward Scissor.... Ill stop and watch.
    If Im watching TV by myself, and Mars Attacks comes on..... yup,. love that one. Jacks a crackpot in it.
    Batman with Michael Keaton? Yeah. That was dark. Ill watch that one too.

24. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Came in here to say Big Fish all prepared to be the odd one out...and am pleasantly surprised by the love for it

25. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Beetlejuice and Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure, for sure. Also, though not a feature film, the OG Frankenweenie may be my favorite work but him.