Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Director Spotlight: David Lynch

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Let's talk about this weirdo.

Pick your fave! Tell us why!

Feel free to list ideas for other threads here

upload_2021-3-8_18-46-34.png

Importer/Exporter and Pseudo! like this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Mulholland Drive has still not clicked for me. I do love Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart.

I need to keep going in S2 Twin Peaks. There are episodes I really enjoy and stretches that I don’t. I know the new series is supposedly his masterpiece, so I gotta keep pushing

OotyPa likes this.
  3. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Mulholland Drive is my favorite film of all time.

4. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

he's the best

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  5. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Genuinely nobody else like him. One of the best we've got.

6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Mulholland and Eraserhead are my favorites. I actually just had a dream that was like, Eraserhead mixed with my high school life and that was extremely unnerving to wake up from.

Inland Empire at times feels like his masterpiece even though it’s maybe the one I least enjoyed in the moment, if that makes sense

7. Nathan

Haven’t seen Lost Highway, feel like I should fix that

SpyKi and nohandstoholdonto like this.
  8. angrycandy

I appreciate Inland Empire far more than I genuinely like it but it has its moments

9. flask

Trusted Supporter

love this guy
    E588EA80-9E41-4CFA-9EBB-07D1ABA36FDE.jpeg

10. angrycandy

Mulholland Drive is probably his best but Blue Velvet has always been my favorite movie

11. the rural juror

He's always struck me as a uniquely American voice as well. The dichotomy he creates between the trappings of surface-level American bliss and the darkness underneath is so sharp.

SpyKi and Importer/Exporter like this.
  12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The Return

13. Morrissey

Trusted

His impact is most widely felt when you look at how many people have tried to replicate that duality of the suburban fiction and reality. He excels because he both appreciates and has an affinity for small town life while being willing to really plunge the depths of human depravity.

14. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

The best of the best.

15. the rural juror

He’s also a great onscreen presence. I know Louie is kinda ruined now, but he was electric as the tv executive during the Late Show storyline.

16. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Twin Peaks is great, and The Return is perfect. Really liked Mulholland Drive. Wondering where I should go next. My constitution is such that I think I may struggle with the sexual violence in Blue Velvet based off what I’ve read, but a buddy also told me if i could handle FWWM i should be alright with it.

17. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Inland Empire is my favorite film. It’s a long cerebral puzzle with multiple interpretations and scenes that will keep you up at night. I watched it once, was confused, then read lots of blogs with theories and rewatched it. This is my favorite and makes the most sense.
    HALFBORN (an inland empire analysis)

Pseudo! likes this.
  18. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Episode 8 of Twin Peaks: The Return is one of the most experimental episodes in all of television.

19. Nathan

Pseudo!, aliens exist and xapplexpiex like this.
  20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

If you were okay with FWWM, then Blue Velvet should be fine. They're pretty similar in terms of darkness, but FWWM is way more disturbing, in my opinion.

It's hard for me to pinpoint a favorite by Lynch. Probably The Return, but I love everything I've seen by him. Dude's an inspiration and a visionary.

SpyKi likes this.
  21. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I made the mistake of watching Blue Velvet with my family. Bad decision.

22. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Dune

Henry likes this.
  23. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Has anyone watched On The Air? Heard it's just pretty surface-level and corny

24. Pseudo!

Regular

To repeat/reassign my thoughts from the Twin Peaks thread, Lynch is the only artist whose work consistently makes me feel like I am the one being watched, his films are like those portraits that seem to have wandering eyes.

At the same time, he's hilarious and effortlessly cool. As disturbing as his films and paintings can be, they also allow themselves to reflect the absurd humor of the everyday and the pure joys that can be found in routine kindnesses

25. Pseudo!

Regular

It's bonkers. It was like they were trying to get cancelled

Marx&Recreation likes this.