Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Director Spotlight: David Fincher • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Ben Button has some good stuff going for it

2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

How involved was he in Mindhunter? I watched the first three episodes and could not get into it at all.

3. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Don’t remind me about Mindhunter. Such a good fucking show

mike1885 and SpyKi like this.
  4. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Mindhunter is fine.

5. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

He's had one incredible movie per decade so far (Seven, Zodiac, Social Network). I enjoy all of his other movies to varying degrees except for Alien 3.

6. It's funny you say this because before this thread I thought benjamin button was a zemeckis film

7. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

it was written by the same guy who wrote Gump and is structured almost identically, but it's the far better film

8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

mindhunter is incredible and one of my top 3 favorite works of his. seems like he was involved more on s2, and it was better for it.

SpyKi likes this.
  9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah Mindhunter was an ace show.

10. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Zodiac and The Social Network are the clear masterpieces. Genuinely excellent films.

Seven and Gone Girl are very good.

Fight Club hasn't aged well, and the fanbase is miserable, but I still mostly enjoy it.

Benjamin Button I found incredibly boring, and The Game was meh.

Haven't seen Mank, Dragon Tattoo, Panic Room, or Alien 3.

11. atlas

Trusted

Zodiac
    Se7en
    Dragon Tattoo
    Fight Club
    Gone Girl
    Social Network

those are all the ones I've seen and that's probably how I would rank them, I enjoy them all though (even Social Network, which is poisoned to me by my hatred of Aaron Sorkin). Gone Girl is kinda trashy but it's a fun watch. Fight Club has aged questionably (especially the CGI, good lord) but I don't know why people hold the fact that its fanboys don't understand satire against Fincher. It's insanely watchable and Norton and Brad are both great.

fwiw my favorite Fincher thing that I've seen is probably season 1 of Mindhunter. Almost don't wanna watch 2 now that I know there's not gonna be any more.

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

s2 is exponentially better

13. Jbent

Trusted

Watched zodiac a few months ago, it's gotten better with time

angrycandy likes this.
  14. 333 GANG

ACAB

I’m kind of surprised at how many people here haven’t seen Panic Room

David87 likes this.
  15. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Se7en is still my favorite Fincher movie, just a perfect thriller. Also taught young me the importance of shadows and lighting in a movie.

jkauf and SpyKi like this.
  16. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

watched the assembly cut of alien 3 last night (not cause of the thread, it’s leaving hbo max in about a week.) it’s so-so

17. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Love Zodiac, I overlooked it for a while but glad I gave it another try. I love a lot about The Social Network but there are so many times when the dialogue is just too stupid, thanks Aaron Sorkin. Big fan of Seven and Mindhunter as well. The rest is ok to having some major problems.

18. DarkHotline

I will never blame David for that movie, the Fox execs meddled with Alien 3 heavily and he tried to do his best.

19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

me neither, the stuff i liked in it makes me think it'd be a great one if fincher got to see his vision through to the end

20. DarkHotline

The OG version with the original director and vision is an all timer in the what if category, an idea ahead of its time.

21. Morrissey

Trusted

Alien 3 looks like a masterpiece compared to Alien: Resurrection.

phaynes12 likes this.
  22. DarkHotline

That sick basketball game tho

23. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Pretty close tie between Fight Club or Seven for me. Would probably go Seven. Dragon Tattoo would be next probably, loved the movie. Wish he continued with another.

24. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Fight Club is awesome and I won’t let some of its shitty fan base ruin in.

I guess I can see why Panic Room doesn’t get any love but I enjoyed it. Usually leave it on when it’s on TV somewhere.

Seven is fantastic of course.

25. I haven't seen everything he's done but I truly adore some of his films and absolutely detest others.

Social Network, Gone Girl, and Zodiac are his masterworks, and all of a consistent style that he does better than anyone else.

Seven is trash. Fight Club...depends on the day for me. I don't think it's particularly awful, but I think its reputation exists in part because it's not always precise in its aims. Preferable to Seven but I don't really ever want to see it again.

Benjamin Button is laughable, one of those movies that had immense hype I never understood. Gets worse by the year and will continue to depreciate as the SFX dive deeper into uncanny valley, but ultimately inoffensive. At one point Charlie Kaufman was attached to it, I would kill to see that version of the screenplay.

I have next to no interest in Mank (seems way too For The Oscars for my taste and Gary Oldman :puke:) but I'll probably watch at least some of it before the Oscars.