Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Director Poll: Favorite Wes Anderson Film • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

That’s the main issue I have with Darjeeling. I should revisit though, I’ve only seen it/Moonrise/Grand Budapest/Life Aquatic once and they were all years and years ago, over a decade in some cases

2. Morrissey

Trusted

I generally look at Darjeeling Limited the same way I look at Lost in Translation, which is that the citizens are being used as background to emphasize the isolation and general alien nature of the protagonists. The brothers in the film definitely come off as the selfish ones, breaking the simple rules of the train and interfering with relationships and customs.

However, where it gets a little bit more muddled is when they try to save the boys in the river and go to the village. When the white movie stars come out in slow motion to another SIxties rock song, I am never sure if Anderson is critiquing the idea of finding meaning through the death of a non-white character or if he is being genuine.

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i don't know Jack, thanks

coleslawed likes this.
  4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

also isle of dogs is last. i forgot it existed when I made the ranking.

5. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The latter scene has always bothered me. It didn’t hit me right even at the time. But of the films of his I don’t love, it’s the one I’m most interested in revisiting.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Buda

7. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I picked Darjeeling because I loved it in college but probably haven’t seen it in 8 or so years so I should rewatch to see how I feel now.

8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Read through the thread coward

Brother Beck and SpyKi like this.
  9. Morrissey

Trusted

How do you feel about the shootout on the boat?

Brother Beck likes this.
  10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

It’s bad

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Rushmore is my favorite. TRT is probably his best and a close second. I haven’t seen Bottle Rocket in forever. TGB and Moonrise were fun. I haven’t seen the others

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

My best memory of Life Aquatic was Thrice playing here the Halloween Vheissu came out and they played as Team Vheissu. That show was incredible for a lot of reasons, another being Underoath playing as Slipknot. Really wish there were videos of either.

[​IMG]

13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I went with The Royal Tenenbaums because I think it is my absolute favorite. Life Aquatic is close for me though. I really do love it a whole hell of a lot more than most of his fans seem to. I can literally watch the whole thing at any given time. His movies are so great, it's really tough to pick a favorite.

I almost wanted to pick Bottle Rocket simply based on "how does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?!?" and nothing else.

I do enjoy parts of Darjeeling but the aforementioned "I didn't save mine" scene is rough. I can't say I have ever really understood what Wes Anderson was going for with that scene, and it's always made me uncomfortable.

I haven't seen Fantastic Mr. Fox or Isle of Dogs though.

Cameron and imthesheriff like this.
  14. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I went with Budapest but honestly top three here are all close.

CarpetElf and Brother Beck like this.
  15. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Pretty tough but I’m going with Budapest.

I really need to rewatch the first half of his stuff, it’s essentially gone from my memory at this point.

Brother Beck likes this.
  16. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I wrote a college admissions essay about how much I love Fantastic Mr Fox lol

Henry likes this.
  17. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Life Aquatic is the only one I like enough to revisit, that movie rules

18. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Voted for Fantastic Mr. Fox. I adore that film and it’s probably one of my most watched films ever. So good.

19. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Going through the Grand Budapest Criterion

coleslawed likes this.
  20. JeanRalphio

Regular Supporter

Fantastic mr. Fox is a perfect movie

coleslawed likes this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Bottle Rocket came out 25 years ago today!

Anthony_ likes this.
  22. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

GBH FOREVER

23. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

The Life Aquatic for me.

Cameron likes this.