Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dikembe - Hail Something (July 8, 2016) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I haven't listened to mediumship in about a month so i may be wrong to that. but I listened to this and then ledge this morning and the vocals are quite different. the second song on this, for example is a big departure from ledge vocally.

2. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

The vocals were the first thing that stuck out to me as different with this album.

I really like this album lyrically. It sticks true to what they've crafted over the last few years but also feels like their first "adult" record. There seems to be an ongoing theme of struggling to deal with your own mental illness as more and more responsibilities become prevalent in your life (significant relationships, impending fatherhood).

Nick likes this.
  3. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yep. I can agree with this. The lyrics stood out massively on first listen and I can definitely see where you're coming from with "adult" record.

4. I'm getting a huge Brand New vibe from this.

5. SayHello

Regular

I really dislike the production choices on this album. Very similar to Mediumship, and that album is much cleaner, so I'll just go back to that one from time to time.

6. Iago

forbidden chalice.

I'm digging this.

7. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Just had this, Mediumship and Chicago Bowls delivered this morning. I love this band so much

8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I hardly even listen to Broad Shoulders and Chicago Bowls anymore because Mediumship and Ledge were so good. And now also this. But I have a soft spot for those records too, also v good

9. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

the green record looks so nice. really glad I got that. goes well with the art

10. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Man, really digging this so far.

I feel like some of the songs come off a little "muddy" and had the same issue with mediumship but I still really enjoy this.

11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm really digging the lyrics on that, you really see what they meant by clear pre and post baby songs

12. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

I've found it a bit difficult to get into this album, particularly after how melodic Mediumship and the Ledge EP were. Was slowly starting to click over the weekend, though. The lyrics on this are top-notch.

Whalejaw likes this.
  13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I like the lyrics and their subject matter, but I feel like they're a little half baked. Like they're vaguely fragmented in nature, not that they're weaker necessarily but that the whole story isn't quite there. I think it's that the sentences just got shorter to match the shorter songs, and I'm not sure that's to this albums benefit.

14. really getting into this

15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I sometimes forget that Broad Shoulders exists so I am gonna listen to all their albums soon and make a real comparison. It's been like a year since I listened to Broad Shoulders last

16. SayHello

Regular

Do you like this more than Mediumship? I really like that album but the singing and production style have made it very hard for me to listen to even three songs fully through in a row on Hail Something.

17. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Yeah, I love Mediumship and Ledge, but I'm definitely struggling to get into this album. I'm gonna keep trying though, hopefully it grows on me.

18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I have a strong feeling they recorded all the parts for this album in like five takes or less. If I remember when they updated their socials, they finished recording this suuuper fast, like a week or something. I think the quickness was all the production they had -- gut feelings etc

SayHello likes this.
  19. I liked Mediumship but I didn't find myself going back to it much. this record feels closer, rawer, more direct--I think that's why it's working for me.

SayHello likes this.
  20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Have you listened to Mediumship (or Ledge) in the wake of this? Have your feelings changed about it, or nah?

21. I haven't, they very well might. I was excited for this record because I liked Mediumship but I felt like it only neared something that would really hook me in. I feel like they did it this time

22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

That's interesting because I feel like the songs on both records are like peers. I was just wondering if maybe you'd notice stuff you hadn't before because of this one, etc etc. Mediumship feels a little more tentative which I felt like contributed to the overall moodiness of it. This one maybe does it a little better but I feel that's less to do with songwriting.

23. RandyDikembe

yeah, i would be surprised if any of the songs are 5 takes, definitely all less. recorded live. very few parts overdubbed. we basically did it in a weekend in my living room. there were no real "production choices" other than to record a record we liked. you pretty much hit the nail on the head

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

it worked out. do you know if the songs were rehearsed heavily before recording or?

25. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

that dude's in the band, he would know, haha

Joel likes this.