Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dikembe - Hail Something (July 8, 2016) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Apr 21, 2016.

1. RandyDikembe

Yo... If you downloaded it, please don't leak it? I messed up when setting it up on bandcamp and it was available for a minute. Sorry

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

this is why you shouldn't ever mess with things!!!!

3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Aw sorry man. Promise to keep it private.

4. RandyDikembe

i'm a moron
    thanks, i'm a moron, hope you like it!

cwhit likes this.
  5. cwhit

still love you even if you're a moron! never stop being the moron we know and love!

6. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Ayyye

7. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Might like that best of the three released so far. Still lukewarm on them overall

8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Just Explode is my favorite.

9. cwhit

fluxyjoe likes this.
  10. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Oh dang I forgot I ordered this and pretty much the rest of their back catalogue. Should be getting to me soon.

Haven't listened to any of the pre release tracks.

11. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

i was just thinking of how much i was looking forward to this at lunch.

13. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

14. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Dug this more than I thought based on the first few songs. Can't wait to get back into it.

15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I really like it. I think it's just as good as Mediumship on first listen and i like it more than Broad Shoulders. I like the way it sounds, it fits the vibe of the music and lyrics. Kinda claustrophobic but not in a way that kills the songs.

16. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Not as good as Mediumship. Sounds like it should have come between Broad Shoulders and Mediumship

17. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Four times through, better every time. God I love this fucking band

Nick likes this.
  18. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Man, the lyrics to this are pretty dark. I mean even so compared to their past records.

I wonder what caused them to go back to this kinda sound over what was in Mediumship

19. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

my order of this has shipped :-)

20. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

this is totally a continuation of where they were headed on Mediumship imo

21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

you think? it seems like they've taken parts of mediumship and married it with their sound pre-mediumship. a lot more (i don't want to say it, but i can't think of a better term) punk influences in the music. I suppose it's more gets harder than even bother.

22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

That last sentence I agree with; they took elements they explored on Mediumship and sort of cultivated more of those influences than others which is why I think of it more as a side step. I also think the way they recorded has something to do with that sound, as well as how quickly the recorded.

23. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

yeah i don't think it's a step back really, just an exploration of their existing sounds as opposed to new ones. the production sounds like they wanted to create an album of songs they would play live and get as close to that as possible. the vocals especially are recorded differently from their last couple of releases.

24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Ooh, that's something I didn't really hear re:vocals. I do think they wanted to sound close to a live version, more stripped down. It sounds vaguely reminiscent of the Live album they released, but better quality. I need to listen to it again, because the vocals mostly sounded (to my ears) like the more downcast moments on Mediumship and Ledge. This is interesting to me because it's so common for bands to try and make a sonic leap that they aren't ready for yet and sort of fumble. This route just makes more sense to me as slow burn because I see them getting really tight and making that change at a slower pace. Not like it doesn't happen, but it's a bigger risk to take since there's that fine line between complacency and consistency.

Nick likes this.