Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 51

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

dylan likes this.
  2. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I've cut drinking since 3/1 (going dry until after a half marathon on 4/7) and my stomach has gotten noticeably flatter. WHODATHUNKIT?

GrantCloud, Nate_Johnson and dylan like this.
  3. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Never really dieted myself at all, but i try to take in as much protein and greens I can in a day (generally aim for 2,500 to 3,000 calories)

I also go to the gym 5 or 6 times a week with my rest day on sundays. Being 5’11 and 200 pounds and trying to add 10 more pounds is p hard.

dylan likes this.
  4. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I have no car now and my gym isn't in walking distance so I'm trying to guilt a friend with a membership to give me rides and go with me every week because if she doesnt I'll waste away. But either way I'll prob be going less than I I did when I had a car which sux

5. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

So I have gained roughly 85-90 pounds since graduating college six years ago. It’s bad. Last week, after my family kinda finally being like “yeah, you’re getting unhealthy”, I decided to start a diet.

All I did was cut out soda, add tons of vegetables to my diet, and cut out unhealthy carbs. In one week, I’m already down about 10 pounds without integrating exercise into my week. I work in an environment where I’m on my feet and moving all day so I roughly burn 1200 calories in a workday.

I know it gets harder from here and I’m ready for that but I think what has held me back so long was the idea of completely changing my life around and it seems kind of scary.

Sure, I’m not eating pizza or wings or sandwiches whenever I want and that kind of sucks because I think we all love to eat really good food. But I think in the long run getting healthy now means I’ll be able to enjoy bad foods in the future when I want to because I’m consistently keeping my body healthy.

My goal is to lose 100 pounds and I know I can do it. Best thing I did was buy a smart scale that works via an app on my phone. Tracking my progress everyday has motivated me even more.

6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I have been trying to eat less sugar (and sometimes succeed) and now whenever I eat it my teeth feel gross and like they're rotting out which is unpleasant but helpful in consuming less sugar!

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  7. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I was in such a good groove but the last month has really thrown me off and I’ve still got ten more days of not being able to do my routine. It’s really—combined with some surgery recovery prescriptions—thrown my mental state off, too.

And yet somehow I physically look more fit at the moment. Probably something coincidental to do with oral surgery, though.

8. ChaseTx

Between going to the gym every day, hiking regularly, and of course since going vegetarian and quitting fast food, I'm in my best shape ever.

My only concern is being able to keep it up after I start working again

9. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

meal prep and only buy what you will need for the week will help make sure you stick to your diet and don't have a reason to go eat fast food. pack your gym bag in the morning and take it with you to work so you can head to the gym straight after and you won't have a reason to go home and possibly make excuses to not go once you get there.

RJ Knorr and Kiana like this.
  10. ChaseTx

I have parenting though! I have to pick her up after work at least half the time. I guess she's getting old enough now that she can stay home while I work out though

11. dylan

does your gym have a childrens area or child watch type service?

12. ChaseTx

No. I go to Planet Fitness. I tried to bring her in with me one and just have her read in the lobby area, but they said no one under 13 is allowed in.

There's my apartment complex fitness room but the equipment is limited

dylan likes this.
  13. dylan

that's a bummer, just go as often as you're able and adjust your routine to fit that. on the days you have aeryn maybe there are activities y'all can do together like the hiking or something.

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Going to a gym with a children’s area is so clutch.

dylan and ChaseTx like this.
  15. ChaseTx

My old gym had one. I also miss having access to barbells. Still, can't beat $10/month

dylan likes this.
  16. dylan

wait what

17. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Isn't that in the top 3 equipment a gym should have?

dylan likes this.
  18. ChaseTx

dylan and Nate_Johnson like this.
  19. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I get that, and think it's a good idea for their brand or whatever, but to just not have any is crazy to me. Even if it maxed out at a lower weight limit or something.

20. dylan

i understand and appreciate the goal of creating a judgement free zone in gyms because it's a very intimidating and anxiety inducing place, especially for people like us who are socially anxious and self-conscious, but not having squat racks and barbells seems too much. Can't beat the price though and you can still sub barbells for dumbbells for most muscle groups. i didn't know that about PF

ChaseTx likes this.
  21. ChaseTx

Yeah it's not ideal. But again, for $10 I can make do

dylan likes this.
  22. dylan

the lunk alarm thing is pretty funny tho

ChaseTx likes this.
  23. ChaseTx

I've never heard it actually go off. But then again they don't have heavy weights

dylan likes this.
  24. ChaseTx

The sign next to the alarm is pretty dumb and condescending though

dylan likes this.
  25. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

What's the biggest dumb bell?

dylan likes this.