Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 49

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. ncarrab Nov 28, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 28, 2017)
    ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

This is going to sound absolutely insane, but my monthly fee is $74.50. However, it's a 'racquet and fitness club' so it's not just a gym per-se. I've been a member since I was like 7-years-old (I'm 32 now). It has indoor/outdoor pool, hot tubs, saunas, full court basketball courts, 10+ tennis courts, racquet ball courts, and like 7 different fitness and weight rooms. It used to have a restaurant in it but that's no longer there. They have lounge areas with TVs and people can bring in their own food and drinks (including alcohol - believe it or not, but a lot of people bring alcohol to gym - tennis/racquet ball players).

They do offer cheaper 'lunch-time' monthly memberships for $45 per month, where you can only go Mon-Fri 11-2. Oddly enough, that's really the only time I ever go because I play full-court 5 on 5 basketball 3x a week on my lunch break with about 12-15 other guys. I continue to pay the full-time amount though because I'll often take my son up there to play around or go swimming on nights or weekends. I'm thinking about getting a family membership for my wife and kids, which is a whopping $160 per month.

dylan likes this.
  2. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

It was mid-60s today so I decided to go for a walk. Just happened to stop by the Y on said walk to pick up a membership application

dylan and chewbacca110 like this.
  3. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

Holy shit is this a country club not something? That sounds insane and awesome

4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Not a country club, but definitely a club-type feel, I guess. The only one of its kind around. That’s why the price is so high, there’s no competition.

5. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I am not someone that eats particularly awful (I have IBS so I have to avoid creamy/fried/cheesey/the best tasting foods) but I can tell you the secret to weight loss is portion control. I've been consciously watching it for 10 days and have dropped 3 pounds while maintaining my usual workout schedule of running 4 days a week. My weight has been stagnant no matter how much I've been running, but portion control has helped tons.

Michael Schmidt and Nate_Johnson like this.
  6. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

What do you guys think of the keto diet? I tried it but it got insanely difficult to keep up with, especially financially. I lost a good amount of weight though.

Larry David likes this.
  7. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Insanely effective, I just don't have the willpower for it

Onlyadirector likes this.
  8. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

I've been doing keto on and off for a while now and I've lost a good chunk of weight between that and working out 3-4 days a week. I went from an all time high weight of 210 out of college and I'm now just over 180, a bit over 1.5 years later. Its definitely not an easy diet to stick to, but if you can do it I think the results will show and are worth it. I only do it periodically even though I'd like to be on it full time. I need my cheat days every now and then though. But even when I'm not on keto 100%, I make sure to stay conscious of what I'm putting in my body (low sugar, not drinking too much beer or eating starches/grains). On top of it, I've found that drinking a lot of tea and water has helped me with controlling cravings for things I shouldn't eat.

9. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Follow up on this... I didn't get selected to run the 2018 Chicago Marathon as an individual, so I found an awesome charity to run for!

Run Domestic Violence Out Of Town is a coallition of Chicago organizations that aid survivors of domestic violence with healthcare, shelter, counseling, crisis lines, and education.
    Team Run DV – Run Domestic Violence Out of Town

If anyone would like to contribute to RUNDV through my sponsorship the link is: Robert Peterson on CrowdRise

Michael Schmidt and Garrett L. like this.
  10. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Chicago is fun but crowded marathon. That will be a fun run!

chewbacca110 likes this.
  11. anthony

ugg this thread reminds me i need to start working out again. im cool with being kind of fat, i just hate feeling like shit.

12. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I seem to have lost 15 pounds somewhere

Mostly because of my change in diet over the past six months

bachna84 and Nate_Johnson like this.
  13. Pseudo!

Regular

I did keto for about 7-8 months and lost 110 lbs. After the first few months it was great, was hardly ever hungry and had no cravings. I stopped a few months back and gained back 50 lbs due to binging.

Weight loss is ultimately calories in - calories out. The important thing is to find something that helps you eat less calories than your body burns. For me, Keto takes away my constant hunger and cravings, and intermittent fasting helps me control binge eating. So it definitely works. Just have to think of it as a life style choice, not a diet.

Dog with a Blog and bachna84 like this.
  14. Spenny

Regular

My friend's trying to convince me to do Keto with him. What would be your go-to meals for breakfast/lunch/dinner? Is it true I should supplement potassium/magnesium and be conscious to get enough sodium? I saw a video today about the "keto flu" and how it's really just a combo of not getting enough of those three things. Any impact it would have on working out as well? I'm really out of shape, but about a month into going to Orangetheory Fitness and I really enjoy it.

@Pseudo! @mattav152 @Onlyadirector

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  15. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

Just a quick status check in.
    I'm holding steady at 180 (6"1). Muscle has been slowly but sure building, and there's definitely a noticeable difference. I talked before about the differences with being blind in that I can't really tell physical differences -- I'm able to tell, by feel, that I'm firming up. It feels really really damn good.
    I went out and bought all new clothes; tossed/gave away/donated all my bigger clothes. I've gone from wearing 42-44 sized pants to 32-34, depending on the cut. From xl/xxl to medium t-shirts.
    My mental, sexual, and social lives have never been better. Thank you all for the support!

16. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Wonderful job! Congratulations on sticking to the hard work.

17. Pseudo!

Regular

I usually just eat one meal a day, but breakfast, lunch, and dinner could be something like bacon and eggs, salad, steak w/ a relatively low carb veggie like spinach or broccoli, toss in butter and/or cheese or something else high in fat to keep you satiated. But anythings fine, you just want to stay at or under 20g of net carbs per day. And yes, you need to take in more sodium and supplement potassium and magnesium otherwise you'll feel tired all the time. It shouldn't affect your workout performance as long as you're getting in your electrolytes.

Also very important to make sure you get plenty of protein. I would also recommend you start counting calories, and use any calorie calculator online to figure out how many calories you need to cut in order to lose weight.

18. Spenny

Regular

Thanks for this, appreciate the input!

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  19. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

I agree with @Pseudo! !

The key to keto is lots of meat, that worked for me. I did it pretty strict though, with less than 25g carbs a day, but 50g works too, just not nearly as fast.

Spenny and Nate_Johnson like this.
  20. delvec19

Trusted

Hey guys, Had a question about how many supplements/vitamins I should take? I just started a fairly strict diet of about 1800 calories a day. I'm eating great and exercising a lot more recently. I want to lose about 20-30 lbs overall. I've always taken Multivitamin and Omega-3 (Fish oil). I know a girl who gave me a lot of advice on taking other things and she showed me all of the things she used to lose weight. I just wanted a second opinion on taking this many pills per day. I've posted a photo showing all of them.[​IMG]
    Garcinia Cambogia (with Green Coffee), Omega 3, Mens 1 a day mulitvitamin, Green tea capsules, Mango Thins (Raspberry ketones with green tea), Probiotics, and b12.

21. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

You really don’t need a lot of those. A lot of doctors will tell you that all those things can be gained naturally from eating the appropriate foods. (That’s not true for everyone of course but generally speaking)

I personally take:
    Omega 3
    Fish Oil
    MVI

22. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I take a multivitamin when I remember

23. Garrett

I take quite a few but it’s medically based not dieting

24. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I take a mens multi vitamin and fish oil.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  25. Garrett

In regards to the above post, I warned him for it and then couldn’t delete it until Jason saw it and decided a more permanent banning was in order. Because it was reported multiple times, just when wanted to clarify why it looks like we didn’t do something. I’m about to edit it.