Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 48

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. regardstomyself

Take it slow at first, you know your body best.

thesoftskeleton likes this.
  2. Dog with a Blog

Me too! Except for today. Today I have been a fat piece of fuck.

The other day I looked at myself in the mirror and I was just amazed at how much wieght I gained. So, I’ve been eating 2 big protein heavy meals during between like 1 and 9. Not sure what I’ll do next week when school starts tho

3. Dog with a Blog

Side note: I had to cancel my gym membership cause money, which sucks. Not sure what I’ll do to compensate

4. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

I’m thinking about joining Planet Fitness. I asked one of my coworkers if he could come up with a workout for me. He’s a bodybuilder and he’s been in a few competitions. So, after I told him where I was planning on joining he tried talking me out of doing that and joining the YMCA instead. He was talking down about Planet and I’ve never been to one before. Anyone here have thoughts they want to share about that place?

5. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

PF has rules about lifting "heavy", grunting, and "intimidation" in the gym. they are a good beginner gym because they're cheap and open 24/hours and generally have most equipment that beginners need. however most don't have heavy free weights or free weight bench press equipment. their "trainers" aren't the best either, giving bad or dangerous advice or showing you bad form. my mom goes, it's good for treadmills and cardio and light weights but that's about it.

6. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

I kind of thought that was the case. I’m fine with that because I’m not exactly trying to become a body builder. It would be nice not being limited on what I could do in the gym though. I’m torn between the two right now

dylan likes this.
  7. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

PF also has a dress code

dylan likes this.
  8. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

That’s not really an issue for me. I’m just wearing dri fit tshirts and my shorts. There’s nothing worth showing off at this point haha

dylan likes this.
  9. lish

Perpetually Cold Prestigious

I've done some damage over the last week or two.

Back to the grind starting tomorrow.

RJ Knorr likes this.
  10. dylan

You could try PF at first and when you reach the point where you grow out of it you can switch to the Y or another local gym. I’d have your buddy design you a plan that you can do at PF and go from there.

11. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Not to pry but I'm curious about the average pay of a monthly gym membership. If y'all have one, how much do u pay monthly

12. Garrett

$29.00 a month, and $29 a year renewal

13. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I was also considering going to Planet Fitness, despite knowing about their stupid rules. I got a thing in the mail advertising $10/month with $1 signup, which I can't beat anywhere else

14. Kiana

My coworker wants me to sign up for one that's $45/month. It does have an indoor pool/sauna and tons of classes and other lil rooms to play individual sports but it's soooo much. They are local and have cool programs like helping with cancer survivors but man I'm like no wonder everyone is always broke

15. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

PF has a $10 and $22 option I think. Apparently the Y has this rolling rate that depends on your age and income? The more you make the more you pay, if you’re 27 or older you pay more? So I think I would pay $26/month

16. Garrett

My gym has all of that and it would be worth $45 tbh. Creating a varied workout helps so much.

17. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

i go to the YMCA and it is about 45 a month, but i love the accessibility of being able to use mostly everything.

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

mine's $40 a month I think, that includes classes, I was just gonna do classes somewhere but yoga classes are like $20 a session so this was way cheaper
    there are gyms that are in the hundreds per month here it's crazy

19. I do planet fitness because you can't beat 10 bucks a month and I only ever use cardio equipment or their 30 min circuit.

I did have a membership to a top of the line gym in my area and my only words of caution are if you aren't going to take advantage of the classes, trainers, pool/sauna, etc, go with a cheaper option.

20. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I can't see ever paying $45 a month. That's insane. I paid $25 or 30 at the last gym I went to. Now I have a hard time justifying that

21. Kiana

Tbh I have no issue working out at home when I actually do work out, which is free. I'm fine with fitness blender videos. But I know so many ppl that go to that gym that I think it'd be a social thing/motivator. But yeah that money is just my hang up. It would be fun to take my nephew sometimes to the kid stuff and the pool. I do like that I have a friend who'd go with me cause my biggest hang up with gyms is going alone/looking silly the first few sessions and the idea of companionship to get me thru that initial anxiety stage is nice lol. But I'm also a major cheapo.

But then the fact that like the whole town goes is also kind of a con haha.

ChiliTacos and ChaseTx like this.
  22. Kiana

Also it's like randomly the only gym in town that isn't built with windows for walls?? Idk why gym designers think I want ppl watching me work out as they drive by but welp.

23. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

I forgot to mention earlier that my employer will reimburse me up to 20/month. I have to go so many times to actually be reimbursed but hey, that’s just another motivator for me

24. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

$53

25. dylan

I'm fortunate that I have two gyms that I don't pay for. We opened the Fieldhouse at the end of 2015 that's open to the public but all city employees get a membership for free and then we renovated our public safety building at the beginning of last year and they put a new gym in the basement that is just for city employees and no one is ever in there so I typically have it all to myself.