Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 42

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I work out six days a week and live in the Deep South. I'm fine.

Brenden likes this.
  2. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

I graduated college at around 265.
    I'm now sitting steadily at about 190. Healthily under the 20% body fat percentage. Getting reasonably muscled. My ideal is to fluctuate around the 185-190 lb area (I'm about 6"1). Last pants I bought, spring of college, were a 42 or 44 waist. I just bought jeans at 34. I exercise seven times a week, I eat healthily. I like the lifestyle, and I can't imagine not living it. My romantic life has been going well (other than the last two tinder dates who bailed after finding out I'm blind -- shrug). I did the thing! I love it. And I'm thankful to this thread. The community has been great, even though I mostly observe. Thanks, y'all.

3. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  4. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

What does everyone use as a food journal/calorie burned app? I've always used MyFitnessPal but have become tired of it and curious if there is anything else out there that works as well?

Integrating with my Garmin runs would be a plus.

5. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

6. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

So is the whole clean eating movement.

7. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Health and fitness in general is opinionated.
    I see what the article is saying about about the term "clean eating" and how it has turned into a status term because yes, eating healthy is far more expensive than going to McDonalds. But at the same time, eating clean doesn't mean everything has to be organic. I live in area that is the epitome of upper class with Wegmans and Whole Foods surrounding me on either side. At the same time, their are traditional supermarkets that are much more affordable. If you make an effort to eat healthy and incorporate as many fruits and vegetables in your day, whether they are organic or not than you are doing pretty good.

The whole lucky charms things scattered throughout that article is a bit much but the rest of the article makes some good points.

8. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I think his greater point after the whole socio-economic issue of the trend is that there also is no evidence that the whole organic non gmo movement that is commenly associated with clean eating has any merit to it. Reason people are losing weight is because they're just eating less unhealthy foods not because the seed that this cucumber grew from wasn't modified to be pest and drought resistance and yield a greater crop.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  9. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Exactly. But like anything, people blow things completely out of proportion and this only adds fuel to the fire. Like I said, it's a great food(lol) for thought article.

10. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I'm guessing your issue was the author interjected their own life experiences into the article.

11. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I'm feeling great and losing weight and still eating dirty as fuck

12. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I am fine with adding life experiences and I think this type of article doesn't warrant it but at the same time the almost pouty comments about eating lucky charms are a bit over the top.

13. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

It's vice what do you expect

14. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Not much! Lol

15. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

What are y'alls favorite cheat meals (if you do them)?

16. Garrett

Pizza and tacos.

GrantCloud, RJ Knorr and Nate_Johnson like this.
  17. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I was going to say, if you cheat, YOU CHEAT! Pizza all the way!

18. ncarrab Jul 18, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 18, 2017)
    ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I honestly don't really watch what I eat or drink. So long as I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week, I feel I can eat/drink whatever I want as long as I don't go crazy overboard. That said, I try and stay away from fast food as much as possible and if I know I can't make it to gym a certain week I'll definitely try to eat healthier just to make up for lost exercise.

Only fast food I ever really eat is Taco Bell about once a month and maybe Arbys and/or Chick Fil-A every once in a while. Pizza maybe once or twice a month. I drink quite a bit of beer, nowhere near as much as I used to, but will drink a few nights a week, a few beers at a time. I did completely cut pop and most other drinks from my diet years ago. That's been a big difference maker for me because I used to drink a TON of pop every day.

Try to eat grilled chicken for dinner on most nights, don't eat big lunches and try to contain it to salad or a small sandwich.

19. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

It's pretty incredible how not drinking alcohol can drastically cut calories and make you lose a ton of weight. It is extremely difficult to do and I don't expect anyone to make this sort of commitment/sacrifice but I have given up drinking alcohol, soda, etc altogether. I have done this for a multitude of reasons but I don't regret it.

RJ Knorr likes this.
  20. Dog with a Blog

I've had like 3 people in the last week say to me, "damn dude have you been working out? You look swole" which is crazy to me cause I don't see it at all, but that's cool. Mah tummy still flabby tho

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  21. Dog with a Blog

Man, I did this last year and it was so incredibly beneficial but the thought of giving up alcohol right now sounds awful lol. Although I have limited it to weekends

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  22. Dog with a Blog

In-N-Out pretty much always

23. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

a friend sent me a referral for blue apron and I get the first week free. Definitely have been interested in meal prep delivery so we will see how it goes. I'm 6 foot and 200 pounds, so hopefully the extra food will help me get to 210 by the end of summer or close to it.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  24. Nate_Johnson Jul 21, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 21, 2017)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I liked Blue Apron but if you are picky eater it has a lot of fancy meals that aren't things people eat regularly. If you are open to different things and have a good pallet then you will be fine.

Hello fresh is another service that is really good as well and the meals are a little more "down to earth". The way they send you things makes it a little easier and cheaper as well. I think they do a free week if you want to trial it.

GrantCloud likes this.
  25. Garrett

I'm taking this weekend to go a little crazy and then going super strict on my diet again.

Bloodsucker II and Joe4th like this.