Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 38

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm sure there are people far more knowledgeable than me to answer this, but I'd start with cutting out fast food AND pop immediately and then committing to cardio 3-4 times a week and maybe some ab workouts. I know when I was in weight cutting mode, I ran 2-miles a day, 3 to 4 days a week AND did about 15 minutes on the elliptical along with sit-ups and various other ab workouts (ins and outs, ups and downs, etc).

dylan likes this.
  2. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

I just want to point out that there's no way to target losing fat in a certain area of your body, I see that propagated places sometimes.

Eat at a caloric deficit @ ~500 calories deficit per day is enough. That's factoring in calories burned, too, so keep that in mind. Cut out bad fats (fast food, high fat cheeses and meats like beef and pork, butter, etc) and sub them for good fats like olive oil, peanut butter, low fat cheeses, and get more sleep! Sleep has a bigger impact on your health and weight than people think.

Outside of cardio, focus on core workouts, but make sure you balance your routine and add chest, arms, back, and legs, too.
    I'd recommend crunches, cable rope crunches, alternate heel touches, planks, lying leg raises, oblique crunches, russian twists. There's lots of core exercises that you can do on a mat, on a cable machine, or using a bench and bar, so a lot of variety and you can mix it up. That way as you're losing weight, the ab muscles you're gaining will start to show through and you'll see progress a little quicker since you're attacking it by both losing fat and gaining muscle rather than one or the other. Hope this helps!

3. Kiana Mar 20, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 20, 2017)
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

If any of you are failures like me and hate sparkling water with the passion of 1000 suns, I've been drinking these to curb my soda addiction. I mean it's still soda so who am I kidding? But they're small so there's more moderation. And it's not syrupy so I feel like it's weening me off that syrupy soda taste. Plus they're a classic! So really it's not any better but I'm kinda telling myself it is! Better than a 32oz fountain soda, I say! And more expensive than regular soda so I buy less

New-York-Seltzer-variety-.jpg

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  4. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

Update time!
    I'm down around 50lb since graduating last may (from 265 in May 2016 to about 212 this morning). I'm 6"1, and my ideal is at around 190. I haven't seen 190 since I was in high school. Still blind.
    However, I seem to have hit a plateau. I've been galancing between 211-215 for the last week, depending on what I ate (or drank) the night before. Got worse this weekend, as a combination of St. Ptty's and Barrister's Ball, but that's not a common occurance. I work out seven days a week -- f-5 30 minute elyptical sessions (going about 9010 minute miles) and 2-3 weight lifts. Abs every day. I use My Fitness Pal to track, and generally get about 1200-1600 calories a day, plus about 350-550 calories burned from exercise. I put in the lose two pounds a week feature, so it gives me an "ideal" number of 1830. However, when talking to a doctor I was told to aim for about 1400 total.
    I guess I'm asking af I'm doing something wrong, or if this plateau is just kind of normal and I heed to white knuckle it out? I'm feeling really good about myself (down 3 pants sizes-two shirt sizes) and want to keep it going. Being in law school, the exercise is great. Plus it really helps with my mental health.

5. dylan

plateauing is normal once you reach a certain point in weight loss. Your body begins to adjust to your new caloric intake and exercise routine. I will say though, that having too low of a caloric intake and your overall calorie deficit for the day/week can cause your body to go into a sort of "preservation mode" where it will start to conserve as much calories as it can because it thinks it's being starved, so just make sure you're in that sweet spot. You're doing everything right it sounds like, especially consulting your Dr on caloric intake, tracking what you eat, etc. Congrats on your progress so far!!

6. derekjd

I think that might be the issue, tbh. Again, I'm getting about 1200-1600 a day, but exercising back out 3-500. So I guess that drops me down to about 700-900 intake a day, which is pretty damn low. My breakfasts are usually a hard-boiled egg and either a yogurt or a granola bar, depending on time; sometimes I'll do yogurt and granola. That comes out to about 300. Lunch is typically a lean quizine or similar (again, 300 -- that brings us to an avg of 700 for breakfast+lunch, including coffee). Then supper bdds in another 400-600. I'll try adding in a snack of peanut butter or almonds or fruit or similar.
    Thanks for the support!

dylan likes this.
  7. dylan

I'm not sure where you're going to law school at, but if your campus provides a nutritionist or dietitian, I'd see if you could meet with them. Your meals look like you're doing all the right things, too. Maybe try scaling back to losing ~500kcals per day (~3500kcals per week) and see if switching to a less aggressive deficit helps anything. It sounds like you're doing everything right so just keep your head up and keep at it!

8. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

At some point in a plateau, you gotta up your calories and weight lifting and severely cut your cardio. I just got to that place.

9. I'm hoping that by following this thread, I can keep myself motivated.

I have a bad knee, so I can't go jogging like I want to, and I'm pretty sure my over-use of the elliptical is partly what caused my bad knee in the first place. I got a punching bag and started getting my cardio in that way. I've also been experimenting with weightlifting for the first time. It's been a few months and I don't see any results yet. Maybe I've been stress-eating too much these past couple shitty months. I'm hoping to get in a good place mentally so I can focus on my weight loss, but it's been a struggle.

10. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I ordered some athletic shoes. Lack of sensible shoes has been a barrier but I'm getting there now!

11. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I've had my athletic shoes for like two years and they still feel so great.

I picked some good ones.

12. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Just popped in here, had no idea it existed. I'm a long time visitor of AP and Chorus, and know a thing or two about weight loss. Most of my life I was up and down the scale, just slightly overweight at my biggest. When I was 20, a number a factors contributed to my obesity topping myself over 300 lbs. It's been 6 years and 130 lbs kept off. Eating healthy and exercising is definitely mental, so so much more than physical.

RJ Knorr, dylan and Firefly like this.
  13. derekjd

Wanted to drop a quick update.
    So I found and went to a nutrition expert and found out that I was eating way less than I needed to be. I'm currently 6"1 and about 210, and my goal weight is around 190. So they said to eat around 2000 cal and use my exercise to drop me into that -3500 a week for weight loss. Since then it's been going really well -- I feel better, I'm thinking more clearly, and the weight loss has been steady and controllable. Mileage may differ, but I've found the goal and the methodology to get me where I need to go, and it feels great.

Ryan likes this.
  14. derekjd

I'm currently wearing a new t-shirt. This is interesting/exciting for four reasons:
    1 - It says "Nelson and Merdock, Attorneys at law." I love Dare Devil.
    2 - I'm wearing this t-shirt to law school.
    3 - I'm blind, and Matt Merdock is a blind lawyer.
    4 - It's a size large, and this is the first time I've been able to comfortably wear anything other than an xl (or a 2xl) in over five years.

chewbacca110, dylan, RJ Knorr and 2 others like this.
  15. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I started at 263 pounds in January, and today I'm down to 216. I'm crazy proud of myself for even getting this far.

I ran my first 5K today, and finished in 35:30. Obviously not great, but the fact that I was able to finish is huge for me. I feel great today, and can't wait to continue improving and losing weight.

16. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

hell yeah joe

happy for you bud

Joe4th likes this.
  17. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

IM FINALLY LESS THAN 200 POUNDS!!!

Firefly, RJ Knorr, dylan and 3 others like this.
  18. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

This is me not quite at my heaviest and then this morning. I've lost 90 lbs and my goal now is to tighten things up

IMG_1080.JPG

19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Damn, congrats!

dylan and RJ Knorr like this.
  20. lish

Perpetually Cold Prestigious

Woohoo I gained 10 pounds

I need to get my shit together.

Firefly likes this.
  21. Firefly

emotional motion sickness

You look fabulous!

RJ Knorr likes this.
  22. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Just uploaded my own progress pics (including 3-year transformation) here if anyone's curious (22/M):
    http://imgur.com/a/IITA5

Also, just weighed myself for the first time in months and I'm bang on 80.0kg (176lbs?) which is pretty much always my weight though. Aiming to ultimately pack on a little more weight/muscle. Height is 5 ft 10/11 (just for reference). I've been slacking lately cos I've just finished my studies, which means celebrating by drinking every beverage in sight... haha. Legs are definitely my weakness, as that always drains my energy (might get back on creatine to help). That said, it's been 5 years and I'm pretty content. Just want to push myself to the next level and especially lift heavier.

For everyone else, keep up the good work and stay motivated :clap:

RJ Knorr likes this.
  23. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Started whole30 again yesterday and really upping my intensity in the gym. It's all so time consuming.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  24. Dog with a Blog

On day 4 of a 7ish day juice cleanse. Not sure how I feel tbh but my wallet loves me.

25. Been doing weight watchers for about a month and have lost 5 lbs. I'm only doing the app with the point system. I like it because I can eat whatever I just have to stay within my daily points. If only I could get motivated to exercise I'm sure I could make double the progress.