Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 37

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

H
    Thanks -- all great advice!
    I usually go down to the gym when there are few people there so I don't have to dodge weights and such. I leave the guide dog at home since he's inquisitive and the last thing I want to do while working out is make sure he's not distracted or in harm's way.

Garrett L. likes this.
  2. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Gained some weight the last few months. Nobody warned me how emotional switching to a bigger t shirt size would be.

Hoping to control my tendency to overeat and get back down to my old clothes.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  3. Dog with a Blog

I've started practicing intermittent fasting. So usually I'll wake up, go to the gym, get home around noon and then eat around 1, maybe eat nuts and fruit throughout the day, and then have my final meal around 6 or 7. My problem is that I eat way too much and I can't help myself so I figure this will be a good lesson in self control.

I was in such good shape a few months ago. I need to get back to that cause I feel like sheeeiiiit. I feel so bloated as of late

suicidesaints likes this.
  4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Has anyone read the End of Dieting by Joel Fuhrman?

5. Carmen SD

Trusted

Not exactly "dieting" but more related to food intolerance/allergy. I saw an article about signs for gluten intolerance. The thumbnail pic looked like someone's arm with a bumpy looming rash, which looks like what appears on my arms in patches. This body wash I use helps it out, but only if I use it regularly. I also get itchy skin. I don't know the actual cause. I work a high stress job, so it could be job related (like other issues I have are), is my itchiness related to my laundry detergent (I recently bought a free & clear natural detergent to see if it helps) or should I try to eliminate gluten as much as I can to see if my skin clears? Anyone delt with similar problem?

6. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I started my diet/exercise on January 5th, and so far I've lost 25.5 pounds. I'm really excited at the progress I've made, even though the loss numbers have been smaller the last two weeks. I'm extremely proud I've stuck with it, and I'm really happy I started making the change, no matter how frustrating it gets

7. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Been using MyFitnessPal to track my calories, combined with more working more hours so I can buy better food, I've lost 20 pounds since Christmas!

Jim, suicidesaints, RJ Knorr and 2 others like this.
  8. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I've been using that too, it's been so helpful

JRGComedy likes this.
  9. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

are the bumps red and pretty small on the upper arm? keratosis pilaris common in people who have gluten allergy or celiac disease. Studies show theres significant link between the two. i have it on my arms and face too. i try to cut gluten out of my diet too because i share a lot of symptoms of someone who may have a gluten allergy but i don't know if i do for sure.

10. Carmen SD

Trusted

Yeah they're small and I guess they look red. I haven't found any on my upper arm, more on my forearms and the area is dry. I should try to cut out gluten to see if my skin clears up.

11. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I'm going to start using MyFitnessPal again when I get back to Fresno along with a new gym membership.

JRGComedy likes this.
  12. Firefly

emotional motion sickness

I really need to start wearing my FitBit again. I'm such a sedentary bum.

Blahhhh. Why can't I just give up five years of my life and be thin already? I've already spent 14 years being miserable. *eye roll*

13. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I want to start weight training a bit more, as currently all I do is cardio. Where do I start? I know gym buffs have a leg day, and a chest day, etc.

14. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I recently met with one of my gym's fitness instructors or whatever on the best bang for your buck weight lifting without breaking down into all of that. The advice he gave to me was to choose three exercises that really target what you're wanting that day.

The routine we set up was three upper body pull (aka back)/three lower body push (aka calves and quads) interchanged on day 1, three upper body push (aka chest/shoulders)/three lower body pull (aka hamstrings) on day 3, full body EMOM circuit on day 5. If you switch between upper and lower body workouts (bench press to deadlift to shoulder press to hamstring extensions) you're forcing more blood circulation which increases caloric loss and whatnot.

I've also done:
    Monday - Chest/Triceps
    Tuesday - Legs/Abs
    Wednesday - Back/Biceps
    Thursday - Legs/Abs
    Friday - Shoulders/Arm Pump

So I guess look into what looks more ideal for your routine/time in the gym and figure out where? I've found it's a lot of trial and error to balance what I like to do and what generates the results I want.

JRGComedy likes this.
  15. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Awesome - thanks for that!

16. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

my stomach and digestive health has been so bad the last year and ive been trying to get answers about it. and because my body just feels so off, ive gained a lot of weight. after going to a few doctors they think i might have celiac disease . i gotta eat a bunch of bread for 2 weeks and then go for a test. i was at my smallest weight before all this happened. its frustrating. i work out, do my best, eat whole simple foods but my body is working against me in some way. for now they are just giving me some IBS medicine to take which i hope helps. funny cause i literally just mentioned i could possible have a gluten allergy a few post before but i never knew medically if i did. guess i'll find out soon.

suicidesaints likes this.
  17. Garrett

Any recommendations on a good yoga/stretching routine? I don't like most of the ones I've seen on YouTube and I'm not going to do the 90 minute P90x one I do like very often at all. I'm ridiculously tight and need to start loosening up to see any sort of progress in other areas. It's hampering a lot of my lifting.

18. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

i don't follow too strict of a diet, im trying to gain currently so i basically just load up on carbs, non to minimal fat protein, and shakes really. I am 5'11 and 205, trying to get up to 210 by memorial day.

19. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Doing pretty well still, but I got sick this week and my hunger was insatiable. I gained like 3 pounds.

20. lish

Perpetually Cold Prestigious

I'm eating candy and chips and stuff again and drinking too much wine.

Decided to do Whole30 through the month of March.

Someone pray for my soul because this is going to suck.

Garrett L. likes this.
  21. Garrett

I adore Whole30 in all it's making me crave everything glory.

lish likes this.
  22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Do y'all have an app you keep track of recipes you've made with?

23. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I have too many weird food issues. My mom projected her issues hardcore and it was never about being healthy. It was always focused on weight and made me feel awful. So to "rebel" I'd eat all this junk so I could show her how idgaf and rub it in her face. Like so much so that it became part of my identity, even though I eat healthy too. I just always made a big show about the unhealthy stuff so it became like "lolz kiana only eats junk." Now I turn to food instantly when I'm upset. It's my instinct even if it doesn't sound good. Just hard to break. Then at work ppl ask you out to lunch a lot so I got in that habit. I didn't even used to, and now like every day I fight that urge too.

24. Iain

Regular

BACKSTORY
    I am 26 years old. My lifestyle was really "I can eat whatever the f*ck I want, and still not put on weight". All of which was true, until the past 6 months. For the past 3 years, i really only played tennis which seemed to do the trick at keeping me slim (with little tone) whilst still eating junk. I was fine with that. But the past 6 months, I have fallen into the "stressed out at work, eat fast food and work late" routine which subsequently meant less tennis too. End result is that most of my body seems fairly ok, but a bit of a belly starting to grow. I wouldnt say it was terribly noticeable and not at the stage of changing clothing sizes (getting there though), but annoying to me.

CURRENT WEIGHT ETC
    Well Chorus.fm, i am using this post as hopefully the post to set some targets and be accountable. My gym has a "boditrax" machine which recently has been the "eye opener". My results from the other day:

Current weight: 71.4kg (June 2016: 70.3kg)
    Current Fat Mass: 15.5Kg (June 2016: 12.5kg)
    Muscle Mass: 52.9KG (June 2016: 55kg)

Any suggestions on possible targets to set?

THE PLAN

I have been promoted in my job and relocated to somewhere 5 mins from my gym/tennis place. So I have no real excuses for not getting there 3/4 times a week. There is also flexi-time in my work so i can avoid peak gym times too. I am going to stop drinking cans of fizzy drinks and restrict eating out during the week, and save that for the weekend.

Any suggestions on how to burn the belly fat at the gym?

Kingjohn_654 and JRGComedy like this.
  25. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Ok. I bought healthy snacks and lunches today for work to last the whole week. No excuse to eat out for lunch now. Next week is spring break and I'm going out of town for the week so I'll probably fail at it cause best part of vacation is the food, but imma at least try to bring healthy snacks for the drive and downtime.