Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 36

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Almost went to the gym today, but I had to stay late at work and didn't want to go after that.
    Calorie counting is going great though.

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I listen to audiobooks mostly. But Ellie Goulding's Delirium is a good one. So is Beyonce's self-titled.

GrantCloud likes this.
  3. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Scales are dumb and I shouldn't look at them. Cause I weighed myself a week or two ago and weigh 5 pounds less now which lol not happening obv. But I'll take it lol. But it actually makes me feel less stressed cause if the number isn't accurate anyway who gaf?

4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

When I used to run the treadmill every day, Manchester Orchestra's 'Shake it Out' made me want to run through a wall. That was my go to.

5. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I've officially put all the weight back on. This is rock bottom for me.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  6. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

I've lost 50 pounds and gone down two pant sizes since summer. My shirts are just now starting to feel big on me. It's hard to feel good about it because I didnt lose any of it in a healthy way.

Joe4th and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

At least you know you're capable of losing that weight again, I don't know if this helps or is scientifically accurate

8. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

I didn't realize this was a thread, but I saw it and figured I'd share a weight-loss tactic I've been using for 2 to 3 weeks now, and one that I've had friends doing for years. It's called intermittent fasting. Basically theres a few different patterns you can follow, but the one I use is where I don't eat for 16 hours in my day and then I can eat whatever the other 8 hours. Obviously you can't go overboard on calories, but you don't have to focus so much on cutting them out. I eat from 5:00 to midnight every day, and I usually get a full 2000 calories in that time span. I go to the gym just about every day, too, but in just 2 weeks I'm already seeing results. Its a great tactic for people who have a lot of trouble controlling their food intake at different times of day like me.

Here's a link with more info: The Beginner's Guide to Intermittent Fasting

9. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

I lost 40 pounds a few years ago to get in the best shape I'd been in since high school, and then gained it back plus another 30. Just now starting to make progress again. It can always get much worse, not too late to turn it back around man.

10. cshadows2887

It's just really hard not to be defeated when you realize you put 35 pounds back on in 5 months.

11. Kiana

My friend is on a diet that I'm worried isn't sustainable and i feel there's a real possibility she'll cave and binge cause it's just not something you can do long term. I told her how I felt about it but that I still support her of course and I'm not gonna bring it up again, but I hope it goes well for her. She says I don't get the struggle and I'm sure that's true, but idk it just bums me out to see ppl on fad diets or things that just aren't sustainable at all and then end up feeling defeated.

12. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

13. cshadows2887

God they just never work. The way I explained it to my friend who is obsessed with them that sort of got through to her was "Can you see yourself eating this way for the rest of your life? Because if not, then it's just a matter of when, not if, you stop. At which point it'll all go back on"

14. Kiana

Yeah that's what I told her too. I'm like sis r u really gonna replace most of your meals with shakes forever?? And do these cleanses every week? I asked how many calories she was eating a day cause it didn't sound like enough at all, but she didn't know. I guess just for me, I like shakes and smoothies but I love warm actual comforting food too and if I can't eat it I'll break. I just try to find healthier alternatives idk. I think she's really desperate to lose it tho and is willing to do anything

15. cshadows2887

Theoretically I guess there are people who can live off shakes their whole lives. But I have yet to meet one. Haha

16. Garrett

Mom says I'm getting noticeably slimmer. Just gotta keep being good.

Naturally I had ice cream and Coke for the first time in weeks today

17. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I put on about 15 lbs over November-December. Not having a regular schedule and being treated to about 15-20 restaurant meals over that one period really made it hard to be healthy.

Burned 5 already since residency interview season has ended haha

18. Garrett

Broke my diet yesterday and I feel ill to the core today. Guess that confirms that I really do need to be eating the way I have been thus far this year.

19. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

Just something i think is super important, if you are trying to eat healthy...please read labels! too many products, especially here in america, trick so many consumers into thinking their product are healthy. one of the main things to look at it is in organic foods, look for high grams of sugar. yes, its organic but that does not mean it is good for you. a lot of labels use buzzwords “Gluten free.” “Organic.” “Natural.” “Wholegrain.” “Antioxidant.” Food marketers are taking advantage of people by misleading consumers with deceptive labeling. Also a lot of labels with designs (with flowers, leaves and shit) or names of products that give the illusion of health. the fact that we live in a society that wants us to be healthy but thrives off the misleading of products is so sad.

Another big one, agave. a lot of people pushing this is a sugar alternative...when actuality it break down in the body like corn syrup.

20. Kiana

True tbh! Once I got an organic brand cause it was on sale, but I had to spit it out cause it was so salty. I then looked up the sodium content and nearly died.

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

tbf it's hella rude that gluten free cookies still have calories

thesoftskeleton and Garrett L. like this.
  22. Garrett

I try to stick by the "five ingredient rule" or "only ingredients you know the name of" or "it grows/lives"... makes eating difficult more than it should.

suicidesaints likes this.
  23. kassie09

Regular

Shiritaki noodles are my holy grail weight loss food and you all need to try them. Holy fiber and 0 calories.

24. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

My weight loss journey has been going pretty well. I've lost about 40 lb since I raduated last May, and I'm feeling great most of the time. I work out probably 5-7 times a week alternating between three miles (half an hour) high-intensity on the elyptical and weight lifting.
    The biggest issue I come into is kind of different. I'm blind, so I don't know what sort of body type "looks normal." I obviously can't look in the mirror, so it's hard to determine how much of an effect things are having. The only option I really have is tactile, and there's just this sticking point in my head that if I can feel fat anywhere I'm morbidly over weight and unattractive. It's a mental blockage, and I recognize it, but it's super hard to get past. Like combining the automatic assumption that [1] I'm fat and [2] everyone else is thinner and [3] being "healthy" means having no fat on your frame. Not sure what to do with that, or why I'm sharing.

RJ Knorr and Garrett L. like this.
  25. Garrett

First, congratulations on losing so much weight already, @derekjd

Second, I get disoriented in the gym with my glasses off so I can't imagine not having vision at all while working out. Major props.

Third, I struggle too with wondering if it's enough and if I'm where I'm supposed to be. Surround yourself with people you trust to be honest, but also people who will encourage you.

I guess a good way to gage it may be to have someone be willing to help you keep track of measurements and BMI (admittedly a dangerous system, but it provides a number) as those would ground your improvements into something you can tangibly understand as opposed to seeing?

Good luck!