Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Diet Cig - Swear I'm Good At This (April 7, 2017) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Jan 9, 2017.

1. right exactly. but it's hardly even a review and more of just problematic political vomit. like, give the band a break and just do your job and review the album for your snobby shitty website, haha.

2. zmtr

Trusted

I enjoyed their first little EP on bandcamp. I wanted to like this but truth be told, it's pretty awful.

That review though? Can't believe somebody got payed to write that.

FTank and Joel like this.
  3. jorbjorb

7 rings

I wanted to like this but couldn`t :(

4. I really like this, especially "Sixteen," "Maid of the Mist," and "Tummy Ache."

local_corn and bradsonemanband like this.
  5. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

I like the review

that's all I'm gonna say

edit: i lied, i also think the only explicitly problematic part is the unnecessary extrapolation of the lighter anecdote

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

would you rather me fb message you or should we have this discussion here? hahaha

7. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I'm digging this for sure. Not as much as I thought I would but it's solid for sure.

That review was cringe worthy though. Feel terrible for the band

8. nfdv2 Apr 7, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 7, 2017)
    nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

we can try (on fb probably haha) but i don't know if either of us will walk away understanding the other's position

cwhit likes this.
  9. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

told ya

cwhit likes this.
  10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

still love ya/you're the worst/still love ya

nfdv2 likes this.
  11. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

good album, not great. fuck that review.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  12. This is a fun album. Reminds me of Cerulean Salt kinda but brighter subject matter.

local_corn likes this.
  13. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I don't read reviews much... actually... ever, for music or video games or movies. Much like I avoid the subreddits of video games I play because it makes me dislike things I otherwise wouldn't have even noticed. That being said, the excerpts posted from that review seem as though the reviewer went in with an negative, pre-determined view/judgement of the band members themselves so that's never going to make for a good review. I'm currently listening to this for the first time and I'm digging it so far.

14. That is one of the worst reviews from pitchfork in its entire history

Michael Schmidt and Contender like this.
  15. local_corn

an existential crisis mixtape

16. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

review is better than record

FTank likes this.
  17. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

This album is awesome. It's going to be great for drives in warm weather.

local_corn likes this.
  18. zmtr

Trusted

Damn. Wish I was hearing what you guys were hearing.

19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Not into this whatsoever

20. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Surprised how divisive this is

KidLightning likes this.
  21. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Father/Daughter put out a better record literally the same day as this. It's cool and I respect these two a lot but it sounds a little more silly/inconsequential than it did in a fifteen minute burst like the EP which I really liked. Glad so many people like it because the fact that they're wonderful people is obvious - just a little too cute for me

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  22. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I don't know, I think this band is so charming and fun. They remind me of The Front Bottoms, not so much sonically, but in the feeling they give me; that sort of "let's dance and have a good time" feeling. It's not that they lack substance, because I think there is substance to be found on this record, but their music is a reprieve for me from a lot of the tension I feel in my life, and even in other music.

Now, I can understand why they're not for everybody, and why some people might be turned off by them, but I think it works. We'll see where they go in the future, because I don't think this sound could sustain them for much longer, but what they're doing is clicking for me right now.

Zilla, local_corn and AndrewSoup like this.
  23. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

that's a good comparison actually

local_corn and ImAMetaphor like this.
  24. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

One of the things I like about this band (not just this record) is their overall message. I think they empower women and young girls to be confident and independent without selling a false narrative around looks or being a celebrity. They are doing it within the confines of a college DIY indie/punk/powepop scene. I see in their interviews a lot where both moms and young girls with their moms are going to these shows and I think that is really neat. As much as their sound seems like it would be twenty somethings that is not entirely the case. Alex is a very relatable front woman that's writing honest lyrics. Whether the music works or not is a separate debate. However, I like that people in this thread either really like it or really dislike it. That's a good thing that's it being noticed and talked about. So in a weird way Pitchfork kind of did the band a favor by going all the way on trashing it.

AndrewSoup and Snewt like this.
  25. nfdv2 Apr 7, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 7, 2017)
    nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

Women artists who empower women and girls to master their craft and help them internalize that they can make powerful, meaningful, and intricate art are ignored in favor of bands like this tho. She even admits she didn't pick up an electric guitar till making that EP, as if that's something to be validated?

I think this phenomenon is overlooked and should be talked about. I'm not even saying simple music isn't valid or meaningful (although this album is bad as well as simple imo), I'm saying that ascribing importance to surface level empowerment without actually thinking about the starkly different culture that marginalized people interested in DIY music end up interacting with is very careless

It sells women and girls short to imply that they too can do "this" primarily because "this" can be made easy

swboyd likes this.