Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

DEVS (FX on Hulu) TV Show • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Sep 12, 2019.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Idk, to me, the ending is actually pretty bleak. Forest, the antagonist, made his choice. But Lily, the protagonist.. that decision wasn't made by her and now there are an infinite number of realities where she has to suffer and live in a nightmare world, and not only that, but likely unable to find Forest to even explain to her wtf is going on since there's no job to go to when the world is on fire. Dark. Also was a little let down that they don't explain *why* Lily is special. The only explanation we get is "because other characters say she is" lol. Idk, lots of unexplained plot holes throughout that I'm a little disappointed and underwhelmed by. But I enjoyed it enough, just not one of the best shows I've seen in the last year.

coleslawed and trevorshmevor like this.
  2. flask

Trusted Supporter

The ending raised so many interesting questions for me. Like she knows everything Is basically pre-determined in reality, so It might as well be a simulation. But now she knows she's in a simulation but she's free to choose her own path/doesn't know the outcome.

trevorshmevor and RyanPm40 like this.
  3. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Watched it all last night, very much enjoyed it

4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

fucking loved this, man. so much.

5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

This last episode is absolutely bonkers. Watching now. It’s “the moment”

6. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I wasn't as blown away as others here. I just never particularly liked Lily throughout the season

the shot of the bridge collapsing and smashing on the ground was incredible

Mrplum5089 and RyanPm40 like this.
  7. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

some of her acting in that last episode in particular was rough

I Am Mick and RyanPm40 like this.
  8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I agree with most sentiments in the thread that Lily’s character/actress’ portrayal is the most iffy part of the show, though I thought everything else was pretty spectacular. The last episode was really something special- and any show that gets me contemplating deep universal questions like this one does is rare. I’m also glad it wasnt a movie because the extra time and freedom filled in details about characters, showcased the lab’s surreal beauty, and added a much-needed humor to an otherwise bleak abstract/complex story.

estebanwaseaten and imthesheriff like this.
  9. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

This show is incredible overall. Binged the first 7 eps in one sitting a couple weekends ago in anticipation for the finale which was also amazing. At first I was a bit bummed with the ending but the longer I sat with it the more appreciated the lack of a perfect "ending" that answers all the questions we may have had. I'm glad its a limited series too. A second season wouldn't really do this story any justice imo. If there were any instances of some subpar acting I think they made up for it in other areas, especially in the visuals/cinematography.

estebanwaseaten and Mrplum5089 like this.
  10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Just finished. Give me all the AG miniseries

The score was also excellent

Night Channels likes this.
  11. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Finally finished this and I loved it so much. I really hope Alex Garland returns to tv soon.

Because this was an often brought up topic, I’m listening to an interview Garland did with The Big Picture he was asked if the flatness of the acting was intentional. He said yes and mentioned that he wanted there to be a feel of a hypnotic state in the show.

12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

You mind sharing the link? Would be interested in hearing that. I think about this show very often.

morgantayler likes this.
  13. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

It’s a the end of this episode. There is a time stamp in the description of you just want the interview!

Top 10 Original Netflix Movies

Night Channels likes this.
  14. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Started this last night, just finished episode 7.

RyanPm40, Cameron, OotyPa and 2 others like this.
  15. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Wow. Really enjoyed this. Kind of a slow burn, and like others have said, some of the acting was a little "off" but the visuals and the story had me hooked the entire time. Garland is the man.

Night Channels and imthesheriff like this.
  16. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Binged all of this over the last day an liked it quite a bit. His best thing since Sunshine, imo.

I liked Lily the whole time but I think it’s because I loved her in Maniac. Either way, thought she was great. The ending didn’t stick the landing completely with me but that’s okay, everything else was great enough that it doesn’t matter to me.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I had no idea Lyndon is played by a woman! Wow, she was amazing.

18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

This show explores similar themes and ideas that Westworld does but man, this is miles better than Westworld. That show is such a mess.

dastly75 and angel paste like this.
  19. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Three episodes in and loving this. Between Annihilation (legit one of my all-time favorite movies) and Ex Machina (also an A+ imo), Alex Garland is one of my new favorites. Dredd always looked kinda silly, but maybe I’ll check it too.

20. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Really, really enjoyed this. What a great role for Offerman and Pill just knows how to be quietly menacing (as opposed to her character in "Snowpiercer" who was loudly menacing, but also great).

Really glad Garland got his "Deus" "Ex Machina"

21. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

:/

22. Importer/Exporter Feb 9, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 9, 2021)
    Importer/Exporter

Loved it. No notes. I’m not sure if it’s my favorite possible ending, but in some universe my favorite possible ending does exist.

Anthony_ and trevorshmevor like this.
  23. Importer/Exporter Feb 10, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 22, 2022)
    Importer/Exporter

Okay, thought about it more. Still an A+ show, but if i had to pick an area of critique, I wish they’d fleshed out Kenton’s character a bit more. I *loved* the exchange with Jamie in the bathroom about his time in the CIA. “You are a dissident, I am a tank” feels totally like the type of thing an ex-spook would say about themselves. But I wish they’d have explained why he felt so dedicated to Devs that he’d kill for it multiple times. Just wanting to avoid jail time feels...... hollow. He’s got unstoppable killer energy like a Fargo character (until he is, uh, stopped), but he just kind of feels strangely outside the events of the show to me despite actively being at the head of them lol

coleslawed likes this.
  24. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Importer/Exporter likes this.
  25. Importer/Exporter

I think about Kenton murking Jamie while ‘Sweet Little Mystery’ by John Martyn plays a lot

coleslawed, dastly75 and phaynes12 like this.