Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

DEVS (FX on Hulu) TV Show • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Finally all caught up! I’d say that aside from a couple of narrative issues with all the future simulation stuff and a few unnecessary filler sequences (an extremely sharp woman working in an advanced tech field needs cause and effect explained to her?), I’m pretty on board with this. Love Garland’s films but I’d be super down if he spent some more time on miniseries like this in the future, it’s always a treat to see television made with such a unique and ambitious vision like his

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

what time do episodes come out? Midnight East Coast?

3. flask

Trusted Supporter

Midnight eastern.

irthesteve likes this.
  4. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Oh wow I assumed midnight pacific like most new episodes of network TV that airs on Hulu. I'm used to new episodes of B99 not showing up until like 5am

I might have to watch this finale before bed..

5. irthesteve

Yeah, I'm thinking about watching tonight if possible!

RyanPm40 likes this.
  6. flask

Trusted Supporter

See y’all on the other side.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  7. Anthony_ Apr 15, 2020
    (Last edited: Apr 15, 2020)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

inb4 all the dumb “Devs is actually the origin story of San Junipero” fan theories start popping up all over the internet

8. flask

Trusted Supporter

That was good.

9. That was pretty solid. I definitely have questions that I’ll put in here in a little bit once I’ve had a little more time to think about them, but overall I really, really like where that went

10. Alright, took the dog out with my girlfriend and we talked it out, I think the few questions both of us had were cleared up by each other. The only thing I’m left curious about is why did the simulation place Lily and Forest at the start of the show and not any other point in time? My initial thought is that it was a request by Forest or something, but I’m curious to hear what other people think. I know in the scheme of the show it doesn’t matter, but was just really hoping for the emotional gut punch of getting to watch Forest witness firsthand his wife’s car making it back to the driveway safely!

Anyway, very happy to see this stick the landing so well. Performances in the finale were wonderful, was very surprised to feel the most emotional about Katie, who was otherwise the coldest feeing character on the show — that’s not shade, she played her part fantastically.

Score in this whole series was so great too, and after starting and ending nearly each episode with the same song, it was cool to see them bring back the song from the first episode once Lily and Forest entered the simulation.

coleslawed, OotyPa and imthesheriff like this.
  11. Great finale. Loved that it mostly took place in the lab since it's such a cool and eerie setting.

12. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Enjoyed this show quite a bit.

13. eagles1139

Regular

Devs had me completely under its spell the whole way through. Garland's aesthetic is just so captivating; that Amaya statue is one of the most unique and haunting images I've seen on TV. My one problem with the show, which sadly became kind of a big problem, is that I don't think Lily is a successful main character.

I know this has been discussed and I don't wanna pile on the actress -- it's not that she's "bad" necessarily, but her performance and the writing of her character don't really convey what it seems Garland wants to convey with her. I couldn't help but think "um....really?" during all of Forest and Katie's conversations about how surprising and special Lily is. Of course, she's brave for fighting back, but I never saw any evidence she was an important, special person who has a unique power to do something big --- except for the show "telling" me she was.

This problem reared its head in the finale because it undermined the otherwise fantastic structure of the episode's first half. The way they laid it out was so brilliant -- with us watching what happens before it happens and thinking we're helplessly working towards the moment she kills Forest and then dies. Her throwing the gun and Forest freaking out was a genuine "oh SHIT" moment. So satisfying.

But the moment could've landed a lot harder if I felt like I was on board with Lily as a character. She confused me, not in the good, ambiguous way that the show itself confused me, but more in the "I don't understand what they're going for with this character and it's taking me out of it" way.

All in all, really fascinating show that I'm probably going to rewatch and see my feelings change for better or worse. It was always gonna be hard to end a story like this -- the "questions" parts (where the machine was a haunting and dangerously mysterious thing) are always more emotionally gripping than the "answers" parts where they try to make sense of everything. But every episode had me glued to the screen and I'm still thinking about the show the next day, which I can't say for many shows going today.

imthesheriff likes this.
  14. flask

Trusted Supporter

Katie mvp. The part where she says she’s scared because they’re actually at the moment they’ve watched so many times was so good.

15. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Can someone explain “the secret” to me?

16. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I liked how that wrapped up.

17. RyanPm40

I feel like I've seen a lot of varying opinions about this finale, definitely intrigued to finally check this out in a bit

I will say that up until this point .. the show feels like it would have been better as a movie. I've enjoyed it, but there have been aspects to the show that seemed to drag, or things that seem to have been thrown in just to fill the time since this was originally pitched as a movie. I could see this being a really great movie with a tighter script, and they could have ditched the whole Russian spy/Sergei sideplot and we really wouldn't be missing anything super important

18. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

Loved it.

19. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Thoroughly enjoyed the finale! Will formulate more thoughts/questions tomorrow. Excited to rewatch the whole thing now within a new frame of mind!

trevorshmevor likes this.
  20. RyanPm40

Looks like Hulu is slowly going down device to device and I'm freaking out lol

Went to play it on the Roku and got a network error. But it worked on my girlfriend's phone watching a separate show, so I tried my smart TV's app and that seems to be working. But now it went down on her phone so I'm just waiting to be rudely interrupted when I'm in the middle of this lol

trevorshmevor and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  21. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

I can’t get in either.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  22. RyanPm40

Dang yeah it seems like a lot of people were affected depending on the server being hit. I lucked out and my smart tv held up through the finale thank God.. interesting ending. I need time to process it lol

Btw, seems back up on my Roku now so maybe it'll work for you now too?

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  23. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Not yet lol.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. irthesteve

That was wild, loved it

mescalineeyes likes this.
  25. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

the ending was beautiful