Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

DEVS (FX on Hulu) TV Show • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Sep 12, 2019.

1. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I was very ambivalent about the character of Lily at first. I thought that some of the acting was pretty bad at least, or just overacting imo but I think I've started to warm up to her

I do agree that the characters can all feel cold tho

2. OotyPa

fall away

Watching now. That “Im in love with you” scene was laughably bad. Glad were getting some backstory though.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

All the shots expressing the multiple timelines were amazing, and Kenton continues to be terrifying. Alison Pill is really great, too.

Sonoya was excellent in Maniac, but man, I don’t think she’s been that great at all throughout this.

4. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Finally, caught up. I can’t wait to see how this will end.

phaynes12 likes this.
  5. OotyPa

fall away

Echoing both the negative and positive feelings in the thread. I hesitate to say i like everything about this show but brilliant moments like forest’s flashback scene are enough to make me forgive the weird lead performance. I still don’t feel connected to Lily (she doesnt seem like a real person to me idk) and her relationships with both love interests dont feel organic at all, but the visuals, score, and premise are excellent.

6. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

To be fair, people who work in IT are often pretty socially awkward, but I do get what you mean. I feel way more connected to Jamie as a character

7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

that was a really cool episode

8. estebanwaseaten Mar 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Mar 27, 2020)
    estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Really enjoyed last night's episode. I can echo the back and forth on Lily as last night was the first time that I did not really think she seemed believable for some reason. Maybe it was the acting, idk, but it wasn't enough to pull me out. I LOVED the background on Forrest. I love the idea of tech being used in the determinism vs free will debate and acting out as a means of establishing guilt or innocence for him. I just hope that showing all the possibilities/alternate paths in these scenes doesn't get played out or end up seeming cheap by the end of this thing.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. angrycandy

still unsure of if it's bad acting, overacting or both

OotyPa and RyanPm40 like this.
  10. flask

Trusted Supporter

the acting is fine

11. angrycandy

I'm far from the only one to say such but sure

in general the acting is fine but something about the Lily character is just off imo

maybe it'll all make sense in the end tho

RyanPm40 likes this.
  12. irthesteve

maybe Lily is just a robot

13. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

This show actually part of the Ex Machina expanded universe

coleslawed and Night Channels like this.
  14. irthesteve

exactly!

morgantayler likes this.
  15. I have no real problems with the acting. Can't get over how cool the lab is every time there's a sequence in there.

coleslawed and irthesteve like this.
  16. flask

Trusted Supporter

The lab looks like the stellar bomb from Sunshine.

coleslawed and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  17. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Can someone explain what in the actual fuck they are developing or trying to develop lol

18. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

I still think that Amaya's campus is going to end up being the shimmer area from Annihilation years in the future.

19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i think there’s a 0% chance of this happening but that would be wild

20. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

let me dream

21. They’re trying to develop prediction algorithm based on determinism. The idea is that if you had enough information about every particle in the universe (position, velocity, etc) at a specific moment in time, you would know for certain how each particle would move and interact with other particles at the next moment in time, and so on. You could also extrapolate backwards because there is only one path all the particles in the universe could have taken to get to the state that they are currently in. There’s no such thing as a choice because the particles in our brains could only have interacted in the specific way that they did. It’s impossible to fully model a deterministic universe because, as Lyndon mentioned a couple episodes ago, you would need a computer with enough memory to contain the entire universe, itself included.

So they’re doing something with quantum physics to get as much information as they can and “predict” the state of the universe both in the past and in the future, so that Forrest can see his daughter and, presumably, so that they can make money. Lyndon’s many-worlds idea got such clear audio because it was basically taking an average of tons of possible outcomes, most of which are extremely similar to the actual outcome, instead of staying on the strictly deterministic path of the world as it is now. This isn’t good enough for Forrest because those alternate outcomes aren’t “real” enough for him.

The most interesting story to me in the last few episodes is how Forrest’s staunch determinism is going to break down now that he’s seen the power of the many-worlds predictions and, I assume, Lily isn’t going to die in the way that he saw her dying in the prediction a few episodes ago.

22. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

considering Amaya is in the Bay Area and Area X was in Florida, I don’t think the dream can live

coleslawed and estebanwaseaten like this.
  23. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Haha that was something I didn't even want to look into because I knew the locations wouldn't align. Oh well.

joe.boy.fresh. and Anthony_ like this.
  24. zsoty27

"I am the patron saint of lost causes"

So after the latest episode can we all agree that Kenton will do something bathshit crazy in the upcoming eps?

RyanPm40 and estebanwaseaten like this.
  25. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Absolutely. I think it's going to lead directly into the event that Katie was alluding to.

trevorshmevor and RyanPm40 like this.