Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Destroyer - ken (October 20, 2017) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by brandon_260, Aug 8, 2017.

1. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Hell ya

[​IMG]

01 Sky’s Grey
    02 In the Morning
    03 Tinseltown Swimming in Blood
    04 Cover From the Sun
    05 Saw You at the Hospital
    06 A Light Travels Down the Catwalk
    07 Rome
    08 Sometimes In the World
    09 Ivory Coast
    10 Stay Lost
    11 La Regle du Jeu

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i'll listen, i like this project

3. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I have only ever dug Kaputt by Destroyer. I wish I liked more of his stuff but he's so strange. An album named Ken doesn't entirely pique my interest.

cwhit likes this.
  4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

For reference, this what he has to say abt the album title:

Sometime last year, I discovered that the original name for “The Wild Ones” (one of the great English-language ballads of the last 100 years or so) was “Ken.” I had an epiphany, I was physically struck by this information. In an attempt to hold on to this feeling, I decided to lift the original title of that song and use it for my own purposes. It’s unclear to me what that purpose is, or what the connection is. I was not thinking about Suede when making this record. I was thinking about the last few years of the Thatcher era. Those were the years when music first really came at me like a sickness, I had it bad. Maybe “The Wild Ones” speaks to that feeling, probably why Suede made no sense in America. I think “ken” also means “to know.”

Kaputt and Poison Season are both so great. Not dug into much beyond that. I'm so excited about this.

Aregala likes this.
  5. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, the last two are incredible and I hope this will be too!

Aregala and brandon_260 like this.
  6. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

fucking hypeeeeeeeee

7. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

definitely check out Destroyer's Rubies and Your Blues. Streethawk is also very strong but more in the vein of early 00s indie rock so might not be as immediate as the other two

8. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Sorry 2 spam the thread I just rlly love Destroyer lol. Bejar is one of my favorite songwriters and one of the better lyricists out there right now imo. Kaputt is obviously the zenith of his work thus far, but all of his projects have layers and textures worth unpacking

New song is great, I think a more spared down effort (as mentioned in the Stereogum piece) this time could work as a great contrast to the dense, lush arrangements from the last two LPs

very exciteddddddddddddddd

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I've heard Rubies once or twice and City of Daughters too. I'll check the others though!!

10. vidiviciveni

Trusted

This thread reminded me of how good Kaputt is.

"Sounds, Smash Hits, Melody Maker, NME, all sound like a dream to me"

11. radiodead

Trusted

Ummm Rubies y'all.

Aregala likes this.
  12. Horrorca

Trusted

Rubies is his absolute best, I think - Streethawk and Kaputt are really fucking cool too

last one I slept on, I might relisten today

13. Horrorca

Trusted

also the first Swan Lake is weird and super good - fucking dream team and it works

14. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

New track is super good.

Aregala likes this.
  15. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Also added Streethawk and Your Blues to my library to check soon!

Aregala likes this.
  16. Horrorca

Trusted

Streethawk is like Bowie + Dylan

pretty f cool

17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I'm listening to it now and was about to say it sounds like a Bowie record. I love this.

Aregala likes this.
  18. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

relistening to Kaputt and forgot that this was a complete and total masterpiece

19. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Aregala likes this.
  20. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

this song rules

21. radiodead

Trusted

Must listen

22. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Listening to Kaputt now and needed a place to express my love. I'll check out the new record even though I've never really dug into this dude's stuff. Gonna check Rubies next probs.

23. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

It's so good! I haven't dove deep into his discography like others in the thread but Kaputt is GOAT and Poison Season is damn good also

24. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

Just finished my first listen of ken and its great.

25. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

oh shit it leaked?