Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dessa - Chime (DTR, Feb 23, 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Henry, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Henry Dec 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 14, 2017)
    Henry

Moderator Moderator

New single out today.

Tracklisting:
    1. Ride
    2. 5 out of 6
    3. Fire Drills
    4. Velodrome
    5. Good Grief
    6. Boy Crazy
    7. Jumprope
    8. Shrimp
    9. Half of You
    10. Say When
    11. I Hope I'm Wrong

NEW DESSA ALBUM & PRE-ORDER ANNOUNCEMENT! | Doomtree

My roommate already ordered this. lol

[​IMG]

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

mad likes this.
  3. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Pumped.

4. tucah

not champ Prestigious

fuuuuck yes

ready for this

5. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

HYYYYYYYYPE

6. tucah

not champ Prestigious

fire drills is excellent of course

7. amorningofsleep

Tracklisting:
    1. Ride
    2. 5 out of 6
    3. Fire Drills
    4. Velodrome
    5. Good Grief
    6. Boy Crazy
    7. Jumprope
    8. Shrimp
    9. Half of You
    10. Say When
    11. I Hope I'm Wrong

8. amorningofsleep

"Good Grief" was also released a couple months ago.

9. chewbacca110

I love "Good Grief" so, so, so much. Already a top 5 Des track for me.

10. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Henry likes this.
  11. mad

I was right. Prestigious

love Good Grief, Fire Drills sounds excellent as well.
    I'm already heavily considering preordering

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Jumprope was really really good live too.

13. chewbacca110

I can't wait to listen to CHIME and try to pick out the songs she played on her last tour. It all sounded really good.

14. chewbacca110

I like this blurb she wrote up for the album:

“I’m exceedingly proud to announce that Chime, my new full-length record, will be released on February 23rd. It’s 11 tracks, a couple of years in the making, and the collective effort of some old friends (Lazerbeak, Paper Tiger, Cecil Otter), and some new collaborators (Andy “Triple Threat” Thompson). It’s got some rap songs and some pop songs and one song about determinism that name drops Saint Thomas Aquinas.

My life has changed considerably since my last album, Parts of Speech. I live half time in New York now and I look confident enough walking down the street to be stopped by the occasional tourist for directions. (I do not, however, have even a basic understanding of the F train’s weekend schedule—and am not sure how many years of reading the signage it will take to learn it.) I published my first travel piece for The New York Times Magazine and got to fill out my very own expense report, just like in the movies. My grandma Jeannette—an important voice in my adult life—died. I was invited to record a song for The Hamilton Mixtape. I got steamrolled by a pretty rough break-up. I bought myself a Maschine Mikro drum machine, read the first half of the manual three times, and banged out my very first beat—which ended up as a song called “Jumprope” on the new record. (As a former copyeditor, I understand “jump rope” to be two words. As a songwriter, my friends, I do not care.)

I’m lucky to have connected with a listenership that’s been willing to support my work across disciplines—to read my essays that have nothing to do with music, or attend a science lecture, or check out a poetry reading. I’ve been able to venture into some new territory these past few years, learn some new skills, and now I’m enormously excited to return to releasing music. This album, like those past, will come out on Doomtree Records–the group of artists with whom I’ve worked for all of my adult life. You can check out the first song, “Fire Drills,” today.

Industry norms dictate that a pop musician should release a full-length record every year and a half, lest she risk losing the interest of her listeners. Thanks for the patience while I finished this shit. I don’t want to jinx it, but I think 2018 is gonna be a hell of a year. More big news on the horizon.”

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Deluxe edition sold out already. Damn.

16. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I'm confused - her rapping is too deep and over-articulate for my tastes

But her singing voice is beautiful, and the way she transitions from rapping to singing is flawless

I should love "Good Grief", I'll give it time

17. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Very excited for this. Single is wonderful

18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

19. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

My pre-order came today but I probably won't be able to listen until tomorrow

20. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

This is sooooooomethin'. She continues to be one of the greatest artists alive.

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Boy Crazy, Shrimp and Half of You are the standouts for me. Gonna have to give this a lot more time.

22. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

"Good Grief" and the title track might take it for me so far.

Shakriel likes this.
  23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I love this so much

cshadows2887 likes this.
  24. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I had no idea this was out already. Excited to dig in. Kind of weird how little I’ve heard about it

25. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I'm starting to love this