Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Deftones Band • Page 169

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Callum Macleod, Mar 16, 2016.

1. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

their singles are great but I’d argue they are usually not the best songs on the album (White Pony has some that challenge that assertion tho)

happy deep dive

you are about to really see how great they truly are

2. Yourbiggestflan

Regular

Thanks! Yes, planning to go in order and really give them all a shot. Appreciate the advice!

3. Dinkleberg

Go birds Supporter

It’s a shame how buried in the mix Frank’s work is on the self titled

4. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

How do you feel about the structural changes to Hole in the Earth and the added vocals at the end of Passenger? Those are the only changes that still feel off to me. Everything else I dig.

5. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I don’t particularly care for those either, especially on HITE.

6. inwaves

Yeah I don't understand why they felt the need to make such drastic changes to HITE. I had to replace that one with the original CD version in my AM library. I also much prefer the instrumental outro to Passenger. Too attached to the original to be down with those changes. But other stuff, like the professor talking at the end of Pink Maggit, the extended Headup outro, and the Lhabia change you mentioned are all cool.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

No! Is it on yt?

8. LightWithoutHeat

No. The YouTube version is the same as the original, even though it claims to be from the collection.

I think I have the whole thing downloaded somewhere. If I can find it I’ll send it your way.

Cameron likes this.
  9. Dinkleberg

Go birds Supporter

I hope whoever they replace Sergio on bass with can also scream. I’m watching their Dia De Los Deftones set from last year and I forgot that they had a sixth touring member last year who would just stand on the side of the stage and only go up to his mic to scream unless he was also playing guitar lol

Crisp X likes this.
  10. LightWithoutHeat

Cameron likes this.
  11. LightWithoutHeat

Mascara might be their best song. Every performance of it from this era is otherworldly.

Cameron and angrycandy like this.
  12. navidson

Regular

Around the Fur
    White Pony
    S/T
    Diamond Eyes
    Koi No Yokan
    Adrenaline
    Ohms
    Saturday Night Wrist
    Gore

13. hollowmines

Regular

The bar is admittedly low but Black Stallion is one of the best remix albums I've heard. I revisit it from time to time.

14. It's one of the only remix albums I actually return to

15. helloiamzach

Regular

As good as 'Black Stallion' is, 'Reanimation' by Linkin Park is a superior remix album in my opinion.

16. Michael Belt

metadata incarnate Supporter

Black Stallion has stronger cuts. Reanimation is more consistent all-around.

17. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

It’s still crazy to me that Koi No Yokan is so low for a lot of people. Some days it might be my favorite (usually it’s White Pony). Swerve City, Poltergeist, ENTOMBED, and Rosemary are all top tier Deftones songs, and the production is huge, I love it. Also feel like the album art matches the vibe of the album so perfectly.

18. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

Agreed! Romantic Dreams is an overlooked song imo

T E A L likes this.
  19. MathiasGeleyn

Regular

Koi No Yokan is my favorite together with Diamond Eyes!

20. I was gonna say, that post but Diamond Eyes

KNY is top five though

SuddenUrgeJoey likes this.
  21. Michael Belt

almost picked it up at the record store a few days ago. my favorite Deftones record post-White Pony pre-Gore (i'm in the minority that enjoyed Gore, and it's surprisingly my partner's favorite Deftones album).

22. Gore whips

23. inwaves

Gore does indeed rule. There's two undeniable runs on that album: Prayers/Triangles through Hearts/Wires, and (L)MIRL through Rubicon. I like Pittura and Xenon, but can understand the criticism they get. But c'mon, everything else is amazing.

SuddenUrgeJoey likes this.
  24. Michael Belt

love me some Phantom Bride

Phantoms and SuddenUrgeJoey like this.
  25. cherrywaves

Trusted

Phantom Bride is awesome, the only track I love on that record

Phantoms and sleon.518 like this.