Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Deftones Band • Page 161

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Callum Macleod, Mar 16, 2016.

1. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I have a soft spot for S/T bc it’s just my favorite period, but I might be coming around to the notion that Ohms is their best art.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  2. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I like S/T the most, but I think WP is the best.

3. It's the Gore artwork by a mile, just stands out from all of their other artwork imho. Koi No Yokan and Ohms would be runners up for me. I also like the ATF artwork.

Michael Belt likes this.
  4. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

idk I don’t think Gore really captures the energy of the album it is supposed to represent very well for me and that’s like way more important to great art for me than anything else. I think DE, Adrenaline, and Gore are probably my least favorite covers of their albums, for different reasons. I like Gore on its own but just yeah there’s a disconnect in the pairing with the album for me.

stars143 likes this.
  5. Dinkleberg

Go birds Supporter

WP, ST, and KNY are my favorite album covers of theirs. I think WP and ST are iconic covers for them, especially WP, and I think KNY’s is very aesthetically pleasing and captures the tone of the album well

6. I'm sorry, I just always thought the S/T artwork looked like it belonged on a Tapout tee lol but @nohandstoholdonto has explained her love for it and I do understand why it fits that record so well. I don't dislike it like I used too, but I still think it's kinda funny.

Similarly I love Diamond Eyes but I always thought that artwork was kind of cheesy. Gore and Around the Fur are better if we're talking interesting photographs.

angrycandy likes this.
  7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

apparently stef isn’t touring with them in europe? has to be vax related, no?

8. only reason I could of why he wouldn't be there

9. yea he’s been vocal about being anti vax I believe

phaynes12 likes this.
  10. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

Vax requirements and he’s prob afraid of the plane flying over the edge of the Earth—since he apparently thinks the planet being flat is somehow believable

11. LightWithoutHeat

He’s flown quite a bit since divulging his belief in a flat earth.

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yeah but never over the edge of the earth dude

13. atlas

Trusted

Going off the few youtube videos out there this band regrettably seems to be pretty dreadful live but this is some solid new 'tones worship for my money

Cameron and cherrywaves like this.
  14. cherrywaves

Trusted

Yeah that EP is cool. Awful band name though, didn’t check them out at first because I thought it was going to be some Victory Records metalcore garbage

15. atlas

Trusted

Chicago show last night was really special, immaculate vibes. They put Beware back in the set too which was really special

16. Gore is it's own thing but "Rubicon" is such a great closer

Crisp X, LightWithoutHeat and Cameron like this.
  17. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

The last three tracks are such a killer end to that album.

18. JM95

Trusted

19. LightWithoutHeat Jul 17, 2022
    (Last edited: Jul 17, 2022)
    LightWithoutHeat

20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Anyone listen can care to divulge?

21. Dinkleberg

Go birds Supporter

Not many details came out. Apparently Sergio approached the band about wanting to become a full-time/official band member in 2020 during the height of the pandemic just two days after the band was dealing with drama with Stef because Stef was refusing to do any tours, mostly likely due to his refusal to get vaccinated (this was also briefly touched upon).

Shaun just kept repeating himself saying it wasn’t cool for Sergio to approach the band about that while they were figuring stuff out with Stef then kept complaining about Deftones fans and people he personally knew speaking on the situation as if they knew what was going on. Shaun did say that Sergio was making good money in the band prior to asking to become a full member.

Still a weird situation, to say the very least.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. JM95

Trusted

I think it was more than that. He said Stef didn't even want to play a show, let alone a tour, and the impression I got was that it was more than just about the vaccine; he wasn't, for whatever reasons, in the mental space to do it.

I always thought there had to be more than just the way Sergio framed the story. The context, the timing, the way he asked...it can change it. Shaun's partially informed impression is that Sergio saw an opportunity when they were worried about the Stef situation and took advantage. I don't know who's right. I'm not that bothered either; I always thought people slightly overreacted to it. Sergio has Quicksand, a solo writing project and he's spent almost a year doing some weird NFT project. I'm sure the dude's fine.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  23. Dinkleberg

Go birds Supporter

I’m not doubting that Sergio is doing fine financially. I’m just saying it’s a weird situation and, if there’s anything I’ve learned over the years of being a Deftones, I would never give Stef the benefit of the doubt. I don’t think that’s an overreaction in the slightest.

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  24. JM95

Trusted

On that part I wasn't really responding to you. I was just saying I'm not that bothered about the whole thing.

25. -deleted-

-

I feel like this thread was as patient and level headed for info regarding Stef’s situation as an AP thread can get. The most diehard Deftones fans I’ve engaged with personally. The interviews that came out with him from 2020/2021 were the real damning evidence that Stef was a superb conspiracy theorist wrapped up in make believe stories about COVID and flat Earth theories. That’s when we were all like ah, this fookin’ guy sucks.

airik625 likes this.