Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Deftones - Ohms (September 25, 2020) Album • Page 51

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JM95, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Someone mentioned this earlier and I get really sad thinking about how sick that would've been

Tomozaurus, waking season and Carrow like this.
  2. can you fucking imagine oh my goooood

Mary V and waking season like this.
  3. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

yeah that thought was the only thing in my head when they announced the tracklist. take me to the alternate universe where that's real please

Mary V and Carrow like this.
  4. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Cameron and Carrow like this.
  5. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I think I remember at some point reading there were 2 tracks cut from the final track listing of Ohms, and I am crossing my fingers we get to hear ‘em someday

waking season and Carrow like this.
  6. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Would also like to hear them eventually. One of them might be instrumental. Chino discussed one of them they didn’t end up choosing because he couldn’t figure out how to approach it vocally.

nohandstoholdonto and Carrow like this.
  7. nohandstoholdonto

as much as I love Chino’s vocals, I’d be fine w only getting whatever unreleased material as an instrumental. feel the same way w Eros. after listening to recent interviews/podcasts w Steph (sigh lol) and Abe they both said the album was done aside from the vocals. if he didn’t wanna sing over those tracks and they just released them as instrumentals I would be perfectly content just hearing what they were doing and imagining what might have been, personally.

8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

And then an onslaught of wannabe YouTube vocalists doing karoke over them

skogsraet and Carrow like this.
  9. JM95

Trusted

Who wants to be a YouTube vocalist?

10. JM95

Trusted

This album continues to grow and grow on me. Genesis is really the only song I don't love at this stage (I think it's by far the weakest track here).

I love that there seems to have been a conscious effort to create a more live-sounding record, which is really the opposite of what a lot of heavy bands are doing now. No click track means things move forward or pull back at times in ways that feel natural to the song. The vocals sound more raw and I think the guitar tones and even things like the stick count-ins before a couple of the songs really add to that live feel, without taking away from the electronic element.

Melodically this has sunk into me like every Deftones record does. It's just the balance and contribution of every member this time feels spot-on.

Ceremony's my current favourite, I think.

11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I remember seeing that promo picture and thinking Steph was wearing it ironically... wow.

What a complete (no pun intended) tool. Definitely going have a little bit harder of a time enjoying Ohms knowing how much Steph sucks.

12. JM95

Trusted

That promo pic is from the Koi No Yokan cycle.

13. Hmmmm

14. Philll

Trusted

Honestly struggling to know where to come down on this Stef shit. Like they're one of my favourite bands in the world, I'm not about to bin them just like that, but it does make me wonder how I'd be reacting if this was a band that I was less attached to. It definitely makes me less enthusiastic about showing public support.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  15. This is all fair. At the risk of rehashing a conversation that's been had a thousand times on this site, I don't think anyone is required to react any certain way to one of your favorite artists being problematic. Take some time digest and move forward however you feel comfortable.

The Trump pic being from 2012 is...weird, if true.
    The flat earth stuff is just dumb as hell, don't really care as long as it doesn't run into some anti-semetic shit.
    The anti-vax stuff is not good. I struggle similarly with Killer Mike, who's problematic for more than just that reason, but also seems to do a lot of good for a lot of good causes, so I believe there's some nuance to be considered in his case.
    The COVID stuff is dangerous and dumb as fuck.

Still love my boys, but *Joe Biden voice* come on, man.

16. nohandstoholdonto

fairly confident that those photos didn’t start popping up until 2015, late 2014 at the earliest, I would bet money on it. so, technically during the Koi cycle sure, but they were used p often during the press for Gore.

anyway, if I’m being honest, it hasn’t effected my enjoyment of the music even a little. dude is an idiot tho, for sure, if I had a chance to tell him to his face I would.

beachdude and mattylikesfilms like this.
  17. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Oh I knew it was older - I just never liked Trump and thought it was a joke (until last Friday lol) that he wore it when I saw the pic. Didn’t know it was edited out later either.

18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

*big sigh*

Oh well..

*plays Elite*

19. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

20. nohandstoholdonto

Genesis is clicking in a big way for me rn. the harmonies in the chorus are incredible and I guess I “heard them” but wasn’t really hearing them until now. good as shit. perfect start for the album.

Carrow likes this.
  21. Headless is fucking huge

22. JM95

Trusted

I can't stop listening to Radiant City. Such pure groove and feel; notice the way the tempo pushes forward a little in the chorus, then pulls back for the verses. So good.

23. nohandstoholdonto

it’s the best

Mary V likes this.
  25. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

My first thought is, "Where is Passenger?" but honestly this is an impossible task.