Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Defeater - Defeater (May 10, 2019) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Leftandleaving, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

upload_2019-3-5_10-3-41.jpeg

1. The Worst Of Fates
    2. List & Heel
    3. Atheists In Foxholes
    4. Mothers' Sons
    5. Desperate
    6. All Roads
    7. Stale Smoke
    8. Dealer / Debtor
    9. No Guilt
    10. Hourglass
    11. No Man Born Evil

2. I’ll give the album a shot, I always do, but not sure if it’ll stick. The past 2 or 3 have been forgettable IMO.

3. strangeterrain

Regular

New song sounds good to me. I like the production/mix. (Will Yip has to be the busiest dude ever.) Excited to hear the rest of the album.

solxace and Nate_Johnson like this.
  4. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Here for it. The last two only had highlights that stuck with me, but I'm still hopeful for one that is good front to back.

5. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

FINALLY

coleslawed and sean_rugy like this.
  6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

tbh abandoned is easily their best album and one of my favorite albums ever

Drew Beringer and johnnyferris like this.
  7. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Finally! So stoked for this. Ordered one of the screen printed covers

Any idea who's perspective this one is from?

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  8. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Need lyrics so we can find out. Feel like everyone’s expecting the mother but who knows, I wasn’t expecting abandoned to be about the priest

9. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

I’m about to throw lots of money at them.

Letters Home and Abandoned are some of my favorite albums. A fresh perspective with Will Yip behind everything will be nice.

coleslawed and Nate_Johnson like this.
  10. johnnyferris

Listening to Mothers' Sons more closely I believe this might be perspective of the father's brother. The brother that dies in war in Rabbit Foot/Bled Out off Letters Home. It's a wartime song and it mentions drinking, which I can't recall the mother doing in place of her drug use.

coleslawed and Nate_Johnson like this.
  11. DesolateEarth

Birb

Abandoned was great and I am looking forward to this.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  12. Will Yip produced this

13. johnnyferris

Wasn't aware there were any screen printed covers when I ordered. Looks like they're all gone now :-/

14. InExile

Regular

Band is good. New song is good. Letsss gooo

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  15. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

is this the first one without any Jay involvement?

sophos34 likes this.
  16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

yep

17. andrewcloer

Lurking AP since 2005. Lurking Chorus since 2016.

Abandoned never really did it for me. The first three releases were phenomenal and Letters Home is great, but I've been listening back and the whole thing starts to get a little tired in abandoned. This new song makes me feel like they're running out of solid ideas in the story. The brother's stories are so compelling and I've never felt like I felt any kind of emotional connection to any other characters afterwards. The prophet's story is pretty great too presented like a side story. The preacher's story does nothing for me at all and never really felt necessary as far as the main story goes. The music and lyric quality took a drop on this Abandoned IMO as well. Having said that, defeater has been one of my favorite bands and I really hope I love this record.

coleslawed likes this.
  18. Bdrinkwater

Honestly I’m pretty impressed with it, after waiting so long for new music I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but to me it sounds like classic Defeater with just enough new things to keep it fresh. Unlike a bunch of you, I’m actually a big fan of Will’s production on it since it gives a lot more attention to the instrumental parts but I can still hear Derek pretty well. Also this is the first single, so I’m expecting it’s one of the more “safe” songs on the record, I’m very curious to hear what the rest will sound like, but for now I’m pretty optimistic. Also I think this song will be great in a live setting.

To be fair, I also thought Abandoned was very underappreciated.

azzy01, solxace and johnnyferris like this.
  19. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Not sure what took me so long to finally listen to the new track. I love this band and I love this song.

20. Mason

Regular

New song, "Stale Smoke" out now. Really liking the actual music and vibe, but fuck, the vocals are so damn buried that you can't make out anything he is saying. I really don't understand their decision with the production.

21. Stale Smoke is great, they're finally changing it up a little bit with those bouncy drums and the chord progressions. A shame about the vocals though.

22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Stale smoke is fucking incredible holy shit.

azzy01 and coleslawed like this.
  23. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Lyric vid!

johnnyferris likes this.
  24. Bdrinkwater

This one is nutty, can’t wait to see how it is live next month

johnnyferris likes this.
  25. azzy01

Regular

Was going to hold out on these, but I couldn't. Derek sounds amazing on these, he sounds even more guttural and nasty on these tracks. They also sound revitalised compared to their last effort.

johnnyferris and coleslawed like this.