Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Deepwater Horizon (Peter Berg - 9/30/2016) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

I saw a pre-screening of this tonight, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just incredible watching how it all went down, and amazon how deep it stick's a fork into BP's eye. The CGI was really top-notch, the acting was great, and it truly gives you an idea of the amazing forces at play on rigs that hunt for oil in our oceans. I highly recommend you all see this film

2. It seems like this is a movie that is basically portraying the explosion of the rig itself. Does it even touch on what happened to the gulf in the months that followed?

3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Not really; they really take their time in going through in the few days before the explosion what happened, and then showing the explosion itself and the rescue process. Film finishes with text explaining the aftermath and then honors those who died

4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Like the camerawork and CGI is so well done, that it really felt like you were there, and it was actually horrifying to watch it all play out, initially knowing what it all was building up to, and then the insanity of the explosion itself

5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

6. Morrissey

Trusted

There was a trailer for this tonight at Sully. It looks like the worst type of event film, trying to make a spectacle out of a tremendous disaster. Given the directors previous credits, that is probably what to expect.

jkauf and popdisaster00 like this.
  7. Right. It's a popcorn disaster flick based on a real event. I think it's fair to tell the story of those who were on the rig when it exploded, but there's a different story about the aftermath and it's effect on the gulf that is just as important here.

Probably better for a doc anyway.

8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Deepwater Horizon review – Mark Wahlberg v BP in angry disaster movie

"On paper, Berg is a poor choice for the material. His last film at sea was Battleship, a soulless, swaggering Transformers knock-off based on a board game, and his last with star Mark Wahlberg was the viscerally effective but heavy-handed Navy Seals drama Lone Survivor. He also tried and failed to make something resembling an issues movie with the forgettable Saudi-set actioner The Kingdom. But for the most part in this effective disaster thriller, he keeps the flag-waving jingoism to a minimum, to focus on the devastating tragedy at hand."

9. Morrissey

Trusted

The entire trailer was just stock "I gotta see my wife and kid again", which is kind of hard to care about when you consider the major environmental and economic travesty caused by these people "just doing their jobs". It is using it as a setting rather than exploring the political angles.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Well the film actually does lay the blame with BP, pretty explicitly. And Mark's character, along with the guys he was working with, this wasn't their fault either. They were just doing their jobs; it was higher up's at BP that made the stupid decisions.

Maybe the trailer doesn't do the story justice, but this isn't just some stock disaster film. I got pretty emotional at times myself throughout

11. Old Fuck

Regular

I work on a drilling rig. 'I gotta see my wife and kid again' is kind of a big deal.

stayillogical, coleslawed and Brent like this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

As it is in every job. It does not make for provocative cinema, though.

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

overall I enjoyed this
    the accents were definitely a bit distracting at times though

and yeah it didn't really touch upon the environmental impact but I also don't know how they can do that in a cinematic way

14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

15. brentkid

Regular

This looked incredibly unnecessary and missing the bigger picture considering that it seemed to ignore the disaster caused as a result of the explosion but it's nice to hear it's not super exploitative.

16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Did you see it yourself? If not I think you should