Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death • Page 7

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Dominick, Aug 30, 2016.

1. jorbjorb

7 rings

Sorry for your loss.
    [​IMG]

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  2. Dog with a Blog

Thanks man. Honestly it’s been so god damn long since I’ve felt emotional about it that I kinda forget what it’s like. I wish I did. I want to cry about it. But I feel so far removed from the situation at this point even though I miss him so much. I dunno, grieving is weird

jorbjorb likes this.
  3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I can relate to this hard. The confusion of "why isn't this harder for me?" on a day of importance is a very strange one but try not to let it get you down. You got this, D with a B!

jorbjorb and Dog with a Blog like this.
  4. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

:heart:

5. Dog with a Blog

My uncle passed away last week. We weren’t very close but I love this picture of him and my grandma. Pretty crazy to think that it’s been about 70 years since this picture was taken and she’s still around. Like, imagine being able to tell yourself that in 70 years you’ll still be alive but your son will die

90841647-8E6A-4A94-969E-D8796889D24D.jpeg

6. I’ve got a potentially weird one: my mother in law passed away in front of my building in February and my wife and I were out of town at the time. Here we are in July and nearly all the dust from dealing with something like that has settled but the one thing that’s been hard to reconcile is that a neighbor found her and tried to resuscitate her while waiting for the paramedics to arrive. We spoke to him the week after but I feel like he’s probably traumatized in a whole other way than we are. We haven’t spoken since and I just feel like that shouldn’t be how it is. What do you do for someone that tried to save your mother/ mother in law but basically saw her die if she wasn’t dead already? I can’t find anything on google beyond writing a nice letter to them commending them but that seems way too little.

Anyone have any ideas or even experience with anything like this?

Mr. Serotonin and incognitojones like this.
  7. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

my uncle has been battling a brain tumor for about 10 months or so (he has had radiation, and taken a chemo pill for an extended period of time), today he went in for an appointment and was told the tumor has gotten bigger and he only has 6-9 months left to live. Currently I’m still processing it, but I figure closer to the holidays is when I’ll start to feel some type of way about it. I just couldn’t imagine being given a timeline of how much time you have left to live. I guess it does give you time to prepare for life without the person, but also anxious because it could happen sooner/later, you just don’t know.

I’m gonna be there as much as I can for him, but also want to give him space, as it is a lot to go through initially, and everyone copes with something like that differently.

8. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Damn, i'm sorry bud. My uncle actually was just give 6-12 months to live too. Just gotta try to spend as much time with them as possible I suppose.

It's crazy how you get older and your family just starts droppin'. My mom passed away, three grandparents and an uncle just from ages 18-27

9. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

even classmates tbh, I have had numerous classmates pass away in the last few years too. None I’ve been close with that affected me in any way, it’s just crazy to think about that it will start to happen more and more consistently as we age.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  10. Mr. Serotonin

Yeah I can think of like 4 classmates who died from car crashes. Crazy.

11. Dog with a Blog

With the death of my uncle and multiple health scares in my mom’s family, it became very clear this year that we are reaching the point where that part of my family will start to die off. Maybe not tomorrow but definitely in the next 10 - 15 years. I mean, fuck, in 11 years I won’t even be 40 my mom will be 80. That’s fucked up and I hate thinking about it.

also, being one of nine children has been such an amazing thing and the thought of losing my siblings terrifies me. It’s crazy for me to think that one day there will just be one left. That just makes me so lonely when I think about it

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  12. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Aside from my dad passing away 11 years ago I haven’t had any close relatives die, so I’m curious how I will manage emotionally/mentally once it slowly starts to happen.

13. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I have an (irrational?) fear of death....I really don't want to die, at least not anytime soon, and taht combined with my anxiety around my heart has turned me into a bit of a hypochondriac now. Trying to figure out what feelings/pains/etc. I have are real vs. just my anxiety really sucks.

I worry about my mom all the time because she was a 30 year smoker, has worked hard manual labor her whole life, and has some minor health issues she refuses to get checked out. I really hope she's still here to see her new grandson graduate high school but the pessimist in me doesn't think she makes it 18 years from now, which really sucks to think about.

14. Dog with a Blog

Do you mind if I ask why you have anxiety regarding your heart? Cause I am totally the same way and it fucking drives me insane. My dad died of a heart attack and I know my blood pressure isn’t great so I just expect to drop at any moment. I’ll be at work and I’ll get a random pain and I’ll be like, “welp. This is it.” Lol

Mr. Serotonin and GrantCloud like this.
  15. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

we talked about this before I think but that’s how my dad passed away too. Honestly, I haven’t worried about heart problems yet, but I know as I get older I’ll probably get more paranoid about them. My half brother (dads side) has had heart problems and he’s about 40, but he has dealt with alcoholism, so I think a lot of the issue can be attributed to that.

16. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Kind of a long story here so bear with me....

So between the ages of 13 and 20, I would have episodes roughly 1-3 times a year where my heart would get stuck in overdrive, for lack of a better term. It would be when I was doing something athletic, my heart would jump to a rate north of 180, probably 200+, and it wouldn't slow down. Then a few minutes later, instead of gradually slowing down, it would suddenly slow back down to a normal, active rate. The last time it happened at age 20, it scared the shit out of me, and the next time I played football with friends, I gave myself what I now realize is a panic attack thinking it was about to happen. I basically stopped doing anythnig athletic that day that required me to give 100% effort because I was scared of whatever it was. And keep in mind I had told my doctor about this and he never really had an answer for me. Sent me to a cardiologist once and I had some stress tests done and wore a monitor and nothing ever showed up.

Flash forward to 4 years ago, I was participating in a dodgeball tourney at the school I was working at, and it happened again. First time in almost 8 years. that was a Friday. I tried going into work the next Monday and I had a panic attack. I called my cardiologist and he bumped my appointment up. He told me it sounded like I had something called Supra-Ventricular Tachycardia. Said my sudden loss in quality of life due to the extreme panic/anxiety I was having meant he was suggesting we try catheter ablation surgery. Another doctor in his practice had to go in with catheters and basically raise my heart rate to see if the electronics in my heart were funky anywhere. After the surgery he said it was hard to trigger anything, but that one part of my heart where SVT symptoms commonly come from did KIND of spark up a little, so he ablated it (basically used the catheters to burn that electrode or whatever in my heart to keep it from firing), and that my problem should be solved.

The recovery time for that surgery is about 10 days, but I ended up out of work for liek 2 months because I developed SEVERE anxiety that I had never had. I was having panic attacks any time my heart rate went up even a little bit. It was awful. Took a couple months of intensive 2 day a week therapy and me going to the school I was working at just to expose myself to that environment again for me to get working again (I was a substitute teacher at the time).

But...ever since then, my worry over every little thing wrong with my body has skyrocketed. Lately I've felt, or at least least I THINK, like my left hand has been weak and uncoordinated lately, the vision in my left has has gone slightly blurry seemingly overnight, and I get a numb feeling in the tip of two of my toes on my right foot once in a while. My hypochondriac mind has been going like immediately to worst case scenarios like diabetes or worse nervous system shit (like ALS), and it's crazy because I don't even know if my left hand really is like that or if I'm just tricking myself. I want to believe it's stress/anxiety related because it's the start of the school year and I'm settling in still but...yeah.

17. TheTrove

The Trove

Apparently the idea of death gets less scary the older you get. To me, right now, it's pretty scary. But to my elders, it's just a fact of life. I wish you all godspeed in finding eternal happiness and bliss.

incognitojones likes this.
  18. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

My Mom received a diagnosis of Parkinson's disease yesterday. Today she broke down crying over the phone and only expressed that she doesn't want to be a burden on other people, and that I was the only one she felt she could be honest with about her fears. She's in her 70s. This is on top of my Dad having a stroke a few weeks back. My emotional state has become numb and I've begun thinking about death a lot more frequently. My first Mom died of cancer when I was 5 so in a way I'm prepared and at ease about the future to come. I feel powerless to help and that is the only emotion I have right now.

19. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

My uncle is slowly starting to decline from his battle with his brain tumor, He’s having problems with words and his movement is starting to get more shaky. He’s told my mom he has maybe 5 to 6 months left, but I guess recently has been saying 2 to 3 months. I’ll try to keep my emotions in check at our family festivities during the holidays but it’s gonna be tough.

20. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

My grandpa died late last night. About 11 months after my grandma (his wife) died. I don’t know if I believe in heaven / an afterlife but part of me likes to think they’re together again riding on his motorcycle like they always used to do.

I don’t mean to sound cruel, but I wish Wisconsin (every state / country?) had the option to terminate things if the person wants to once they get to a certain age. He was 93 when he passed and he was basically counting down the days for the last decade. But especially the last 11 months since his wife passed. Like, what kind of life is sitting around in pain on an oxygen machine in a nursing home surrounded by strangers after being removed from your home of 40+ years and selling all your belongings and watching your life savings get sucked away to live in a tiny generic room that barely more than a hospital room? What fun or logic is that?

he and my grandma accomplished everything they wanted to do (family, careers, vacations, etc.) and then they had to be bored and suffer for a decade at least, but especially the last 5 years. Just doesn’t make any sense to me.

21. Dog with a Blog

dude I know this is the latest reply ever but I just noticed this. That’s awful man, sorry to hear that. How have you been doing lately

GrantCloud and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  22. Dog with a Blog

I’m drunk and I miss my dad so much

23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

24. Mr. Serotonin

:twohearts::twohearts::twohearts:

That's how I feel the majority of December/January. December 7th this year was the 10 year anniversary of my mother's passing.

25. Dog with a Blog

:heart:

It’s tough man. I’m sorry. I was looking at pictures of him last night was just like fuckkkkk I wish I could talk to him right now. On the bright side, it’s the first time I’ve really felt emotional about my dad at all in some time so it’s nice to feel again