Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Dominick, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

2. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

i don't get too sad when i think about dying

i get very sad when i think about my dog dying

Kate, Rick Sihl, coleslawed and 4 others like this.
  3. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Same on the last part. But I also think about myself dying all the time and it terrifies me. Part of why I don't sleep well

4. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

i relate to this very much

ChiliTacos likes this.
  5. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I've had very little exposure to death. I am the youngest of 6 kids so, if nature is allowed it's course unimpeded, I'll have my fair share of funerals to attend when I'm older.

Rick Sihl likes this.
  6. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Viggo the Carpathian had a lot of good ideas when it came to death.

Ken and DontTellMom like this.
  7. I think about dying at least once a day, it is absolutely the most stressful part of my life and I hate it because I know no matter how much thought I give it its gonna happen eventually

The thought of not existing is just so fucking paralyzing

8. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

The thought of dying young is terrifying.

The thought of dying of old age is very interesting to me. Maybe my opinion will change when I get there, but I imagine lying on my death bed and being insanely curious. Death comes for us all, I accept that. So I'd just be curious what, if anything, would be next. If there really is nothing, it's not like I'd ever know anyway, right?

9. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

10. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

11. jorbjorb

7 rings

my cousin just died at age of 40. what a bummer man

12. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Fucking terrified of death - like @trevorshmevor says, it is the 'not existing' part I struggle with, and that's why I hope so much that there is something after, so that I and the great people I have & will meet in my liftetime won't just cease to be. My brain can't wrap itself around the fact it won't be working I guess!

13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I think I'm desensitized to death, and have been told as such by people who mourn pretty hard when someone dies. Not desensitized to the point where I'm insensitive about it, but I've seen and heard about death so many times in my life that it hardly phases me anymore. After college, I worked as a crime/breaking news reporter for 4 years for a fairly large newspaper and had been to murder scenes, fatal crash scenes, fatal fires, etc. Saw a fair share of dead bodies and just got used to seeing it and hearing about it every day. If I didn't see it directly, I would hear about it ALL day every day on a police scanner that we had in the office. I just got used to that darkness, I guess, to the point where you almost tune it out, like 'just another day'.

THAT SAID, I haven't had anyone really, really close to me die in a long time. My cousin died a few years ago, who grew up on my street. I had a high school/college friend overdose a few months ago as well. I don't know, death just doesn't hit me as hard as it hits others.

I know that probably sounds bad.

When I think about my own death, I always just think that it's fate and that I won't be terrified when it happens. I do often think about what afterlife will be like, because I find it hard to believe we're just here for 60-80 years then out of commission for billions of years.

14. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Nah. Some white guy by the name of Eben Alexander.

15. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Dominick likes this.
  16. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

My honest answer is, you stop caring about death once you realize there are things worse that non-existence.

17. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

You know there are things within mathematics which through non-constructive proofs can be shown to exist, yet it can also be proven that no one can provide a constructive example of that thing. Kinda parallels the seemingly paradoxical nature of "the state" of death imo.

18. TedSchmosby

Trusted

im scared

19. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

20. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I am scared of dying because I'm a control freak and I obv can't control it. It was never about the non existing thing until randomly a few days ago I started freaking out about that. Like will it just feel like nothingness? I DON'T GET IT. How do you just..... cease?! idk!!! But tbh an afterlife sounds terrible too cause it sounds long. I'd enjoy if every time I die I live another life but without realizing I ever lived another life. But realistically I'm just like we cease to exist but what does that feel like? I guess it feels like nothing so I repeat that cycle a lot. I worry about it being a vortex of nothing where there's just blackness and you are aware of that but there's nothing to do or even think about except to be helplessly surrounded by darkness.

ChaseTx and Dominick like this.
  21. Kiana

coleslawed, Dominick and Jacob like this.
  22. DesolateEarth

Birb

My anxiety problems are all death related. I am terrified of death, and feeling like I was going to die with my first panic attack really messed me up. I haven't been able to click on any links in here because I know they will just trigger my anxiety :/

23. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

*points to user title*

Also Eben Alexander is aggressively full of shit. Per his own stupid ass words, "all the higher functions of my brain were offline...it was completely unplugged." Which means even if his experience was real, he wouldn't have been able to remember it 'cause, you know, memories happen in the brain.

24. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

25. Kiana

omg my grandpa is obsessed with this dude and I had to pretend to be fascinated while he told me the whole story from his stupid book. He's also become obsessed with Dr. Phil recently lol. My gpa is clearly trying to navigate through some stuff in his life but man hearing about it is like hearing someone drag on about how they've discovered crossfit or paleo or something. Go on whatever spiritual journey u need but leave me out of it!!

Dominick likes this.