Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Note (Adam Wingard, 2017) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Viva Sonata, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Especially with some of the teases later in the series. Some of those other shinigami designs are fucking awesome. There are so many amazing ways to use the books as philosophical talking points.

I'm wondering if it had more to do with the original creative not being interested in expanding it. The way that the second half of the story got panned, the author may have just wanted to stay away.

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I think this Netflix film would have been much more interesting and would have probably been better received if they had just gone that route and made something completely new, maybe a few mentions to what happened in the original series.

The original creators have gone on to do different things and I don't think they'll go back to it but I think it could absolutely be done and would be more interesting than this.

3. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I won't fault the creators for making the material their own, but it just didn't land for me. Visually, what Wingard does isn't bad but the tone is all over the place and the motivations of the characters never felt earned. Light basically reveals his newfound power to Mia immediately, which kind of sucks but again the movie is 90 minutes with a ton of ground to cover.

Preserved Moose likes this.
  4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Anime is on Netflix

5. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

This felt so rushed. I realise they had a lot to cram in there and I might not have noticed it as much if I hadn't seen the series but still. The personality of Light in the cartoon was way different and believable as a cold hearted killer. The movie guy just seemed like a normal nerd. L was a joke too. The weird crouching and jumping around didn't really translate into human form.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  6. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Never saw the anime, but this was enjoyable. Not great, definitely tried to cram a lot into a strangely short film that should have been at least 2 hours long, and I agree it made the character development very poor.

Hated that they needed to do a typical Hollywood movie teen romance. Hated that they needed to try and make Light someone you can sympathize with. I do think the ending moments of the film may have revealed that he's more of a sociopath than we were originally led to believe, and I think that could lead to a salvageable sequel, not that I would hold my breath.

7. Dog with a Blog

Also....so he just left the room like that without repercussion? Sure.

thedrudo and RyanPm40 like this.
  8. RyanPm40

Yeah, I was like how the hell did nobody hear him screaming and banging on the door?

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  9. RyanPm40

I mean, to be fair, if it were me, my reaction would have been like that times 1000, but I'm not a cold killer

10. Dog with a Blog

If you even remotely enjoyed this, you should check out the anime. It's not perfect, but the first half is seriously amazing.

Preserved Moose, SpyKi and RyanPm40 like this.
  11. RyanPm40

Yeah my girlfriend really loved it in highschool and is down for a rewatch, so Ill definitely be checking it out :P. I do know some of the glaring differences between the film and show because of it.

12. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Wingard teasing another one... or two.

Wish they would have just spent the time on a 10-episode series. Budget reasons maybe?

13. RyanPm40

Currently watching the first episode of the anime on Netflix. Digging it so far!

Everyone who said that Light doesn't scream when Rayuk appears is a liar, it's just not as whiny and poorly acted lol

Cameron likes this.
  14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Hopefully it doesn't use Light going forward.

it will

RyanPm40 likes this.
  15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

lol I was gonna say. He definitely screams

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

I would be so down for a sequel to this. Interested to see how the story branches out from that ending.

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm sure they'll expand on the 'orphanage of detectives' which sounded sooooo dumb in the context of the story. Also, L wasn't that old. How did that building get so decrepit?

SpyKi likes this.
  18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I don't even want to watch anymore but I know if they do come out I'll probably hatewatch them.

Anthony_ and Preserved Moose like this.
  19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

It would seem this didn't generate enough positive buzz or buzz period to warrant sequels

20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

21. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

shoutout to early Ok Go

mercury likes this.
  22. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

hey @Henry is your avatar just a more pale version of @zigbigwig's

it's trippin me out

Joel and Joe4th like this.
  23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Same book. It's called Snotgirl. Written by the guy who wrote Scott Pilgrim and it is wonderful.

electro haikus likes this.
  24. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Finally got around to watching this and woof. That was not good. Although it was cool to see Lakeith Stanfield act like L from the anime, and also the look of Ryuk wasn't terrible given the clear budgetary limitations this seems to have had.

But damn, so many weird and unnecessary script problems that just made no sense. i kind of just don't understand why this got made at all, really.

25. Henry

Moderator Moderator