Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Note (Adam Wingard, 2017) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Viva Sonata, Sep 16, 2016.

1. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

The first V/H/S was awesome. 2nd was pretty good. I thought the 3rd was close to unwatchable lol

2. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Nice to see someone excited. I love Wingard's style so much. And even though Blair Witch was underwhelming, I'm looking forward to watching this. I've never read the manga or seen any adaptation, so I'm hoping a fresh outlook makes this a fun experience.

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

You're Next is one of my fave films.

electro haikus and zigbigwig like this.
  4. stayillogical

Me too. I feel crazy thinking about it, it's a simple home invasion slasher. But it's perfection! The slo-mo, the music, the humor, etc. I'm thrilled every time I watch it.

zigbigwig and Night Channels like this.
  5. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

That reminds me I haven't watch the third one. Seems like I didn't miss out on anything.

Loved the cult story on VHS2 - the one made by the same guy who did The Raid movies.

Also I watched You're Next with my siblings (who are also big fans of horror/slasher films) so that was definitely fun.

6. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I'll check out You're Next then for sure

7. stayillogical

Please tell me you argued about who is the fastest runner.

zigbigwig likes this.
  8. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Haha yes.

after getting over the shock of the first death, we were pretty much in agreement who would've died first - my sister - and who would've betrayed everyone - they chose me, I think it's because I'm the youngest and also I was the one who recommended we watch it.

9. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I liked it. First time with anything Death Note related. The character of L and the guy who played him was amazing.

10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

He is directing Godzilla Vs Kong.

11. Night Channels

Trusted

It's not like Death Note in any way, but have you seen Short Term 12? LaKeith Stanfield is incredible in it.

(He's also great in FX's Atlanta)

12. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I have and I totally agree. I definitely want to see more of him. He stole every scene in this. I keep seeing that headline going around where he said he wants to play the Joker.

13. Davjs

Trusted

Oh man that should be cool. Godzilla was disappointing because he wasn't in his own movie but I liked Kong well enough to see them together.

14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Stanfeild as the Joker would be so good. Dude is probably my favorite young/up and coming actor atm

15. Dog with a Blog

About 40 minutes into this. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen but it's not good. L just got introduced and he's basically a cartoon character.

The Dark Tower was one of the worst adaptations I've ever seen, nothing disappoints me now.

16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Idk guys just finished, and I thought it was pretty entertaining. Definitely nowhere near as good as The Guest, and You're Next. Dafoe killed it.

17. Dog with a Blog Aug 27, 2017
    (Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2017)
    Dog with a Blog

I definitely think some of the hate I've seen it get is pretty hyperbolic. It's just hard not to compare it to the source material though and it's confined to 90 minutes which really makes it hard to care about anybody. Also, I don't like how psycho Mia is so fast and that ending was p bad/underwhelming

Mia's death was laughable tho. That song.

Zac Djamoos and Davjs like this.
  18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah the end was sloppy

19. Davjs

Trusted

You do know this is the internet right? That kind of over reacting is not tolerated here.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  20. Dog with a Blog

I think its biggest crime is that it's incredibly forgettable and adds nothing to the source material. If you're gonna adapt something that is already a well received manga and anime, you need to give us a reason why we should want to watch it. I don't care if they change story elements, but how will those changes improve the story? It gets a little bit of a pass because I watched it on Netflix. If I had to pay for it at a movie theatre I'd be pretty upset.

Robk, Barresi and Davjs like this.
  21. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I hated this so much.

22. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

What in the world was going on when Light first meets Ryuk in school? His freak out felt like it belonged in a comedy.

SpyKi likes this.
  23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I feel like his high-pitch screams were intentional comedy.

Davjs likes this.
  24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Making Light afraid of Ryuk was enough to take me out of the film. It is the complete antithesis of his character in the source material. Light is a cold and calculated character who doesn't think anything of a death-god. Leaving that bit in could have salvaged the character a little bit.

Robk, RyanPm40 and SpyKi like this.
  25. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

What I don't understand is why can't we have other Death Note media with different characters.

The anime should pick back up and do this. Brand new shit. The concept of the Death Note and shinigami is so interesting we could have other great stories to tell. It could even be a reboot/not in the same universe, with different people.

Light and Ryuk in the new film are basically different characters altogether with the same names and Lights dad is chief. Beyond that they're completely different.