Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Note (Adam Wingard, 2017) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Viva Sonata, Sep 16, 2016.

1. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

This is officially the next good bad movie

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  2. Dog with a Blog

I need to see this also

3. Dog with a Blog

Asap*

4. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I just watched it. Pretty bad. Waaaay too short to tell the whole story. And if you have to make an anime into a live action movie, you kinda have to drop the more "anime-ish" type stuff or else it's going to be a cringy mess with shitty dialogue. A darker, serious, more mature series could have been pretty sick (the anime already was there), but they only put one foot through the door. Which I get why, you want to give credit where it's due and not disrespect the original medium but that kind of goes out the window to begin with haha.

5. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Lakeith's performance as L is so fascinating to me. It is so strange and forced I'm just shocked it exists.

6. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I didn't realize this was only a movie. That might get me to watch it out of curiosity, ha.

7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

What part of Ls deduction did you think was illogical?

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Pinpointing exactly where he was in the US was the biggest one. There were a lot of smaller things I can't remember that felt super questionable.

9. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I'm still pretty curious to watch this even if it's bad. I hope Adam Wingard gets back on the right track soon though, You're Next and The Guest are great, and his VHS segments pretty good too. Blair Witch was...not and it seems like Death Note continues that slide.

10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

As someone who really loved The Guest, and You're Next I'm kinda looking forward to seeing this with 0 knowledge of the source material. I'm wondering if I'll hate it as much as others. The white washing is unfortunate.

11. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

I have never watched the anime or read the manga but this interested me for some reason. I watched it and really liked it. I don't understand the hate.

Davjs likes this.
  12. zigbigwig Aug 26, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 26, 2017)
    zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Agreed that it should've been a TV series and I also prefer Ryuk as a spectator.

I just finished reading Death Note last week too. I like that they changed the story, but I didn't care for the characters. I did enjoy watching it though.

My dream live-action adaptation would probably be focused on L's cat and mouse with Light where they outsmart each other. Those were the parts of the manga I enjoyed the most.

SpyKi likes this.
  13. zigbigwig

my biggest gripe with it is that I feel it was a missed opportunity. Lots of things could've been fleshed out more. And I am perfectly fine straying that far away from the source material.

GettingSodas likes this.
  14. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I don't think I can hate Lakeith in anything. This was entertaining at least

15. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

That was totally explained.
    (1) he knew it was Seattle because he killed a guy in a conflict broadcasted on local tv. (2) He suspected it was someone in law enforcement because of access to criminal network. (3)He suspected it was Light because he didn't kill his father but killed FBI agents.

16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Watch the Japanese film and anime. They are basically shot for shot the same, outside of tweaking the ending.

17. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I hear the Japanese film is awful

The anime of course though is one of the best shows I know of

18. SpyKi

I really didn't like the Japanese film. Still adore the anime.

19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Maybe its just been a long time, but I remember liking it a bunch. Though that was ten years ago.

SpyKi likes this.
  20. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I've never read the manga or watched the anime, so I didn't think this movie was really bad. 6/10.

21. SpyKi

If people are watching this who haven't watched the anime or read the manga, please try it out. It's really good.

zigbigwig and FreshnessExpired like this.
  22. zigbigwig

Oh cool.

do you think it's still worth watching even if I'd read the manga?

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I mean, nothing touches the manga in my opinion. Its superior to any adaptation. The anime would be the one I'd definitely give a go, if anything.

zigbigwig likes this.
  24. Davjs

Trusted

Oh man is this beautifully directed. So much to cram into 90 mins and it never felt too much. With a bad director this could have easily gone terribly.

Sure if you compare it to the anime it left a ton out, but judging just on the movie itself it was awesome.

Not familiar with the director but after seeing his camera shots and and how well he makes a story flow, I'll be checking out his work.

zigbigwig likes this.
  25. zigbigwig

Oh man, Wingard is really good. This is probably my least fav film of his. Watching Blair Witch 2 in the theatre was really fun.

You're in for a treat. Not sure what chorus' thinks of V/H/S (anthology of horror stories by different directors that iirc Wingard curated and directed one story of) but I'd recommend that too.

Davjs likes this.