Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Note (Adam Wingard, 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Viva Sonata, Sep 16, 2016.

1. transrebel59

Regular

This is one of the only times I see myself being okay with the Americanization of an anime series. This will be the 5th Death Note movie and since the rest have been "watchable", at best, they should probably try to switch things up and make something new. I would have been more offended if they hired an American crew to try and do a Japanese version.

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I think it is and lots of people on Twitter think so

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm not sure I understand. We don't give shit to other things that are adapted for American audiences. The Office, The Returned, The Strangers, etc. Why is adapting Asian material exclusively a problem?

This is a serious inquiry.

4. The arguments I heard for Ghost in the Shell was that, at its core, it told a story in the context of Japanese culture, and removing that aspect did a disservice to the story. Unless I'm confusing that with another white-washing issue I read about. I haven't watched the original movie in a long time.

I think a lot of the frustration is that Asian protagonists are very rare in mainstream American movies.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Ghost in the Shell I 1000% understand. Most instances of it make perfect sense and I support them (DBZ, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist). It just seems weird to go after Death Note of all things.

Davjs and CarpetElf like this.
  6. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

7. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Willem Dafoe sounds so great.

8. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Ughhhh.

9. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I still don't know how I feel about this

10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I think somethings should have been changed. Not sure I like the way the have L being portrayed. It looks like they are trying to keep his mannerisms close to the source material, but it just doesn't feell like it works for me.

11. If America adapts something from Europe, there's no westernization going on--a white face is still a white face. White people stealing roles from Asian narratives strips us of our visibility and power in the media.

12. I don't think I finished the anime. I kind of wish I didn't finish the manga. I don't even remember if I watched more than the first movie. Light vs L in the manga is iconic, but I think I've seen it adapted (butchered) enough times.

The second half of the manga is actually not very good at all, but that's a different story.

CarpetElf likes this.
  13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I'm genuinely curious if films like the Departed are met with the same response.

14. I didn't notice it at the time, but I'm sure it was there. The internet was just a different place back then. Also, I didn't know a lot of these things (or rather, I was aware on some level but didn't know how to articulate it) until I took Asian American Studies classes in college, so I was a different person as well.

15. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Same goes for the second half of the anime. I didn't hate it but the first half was so much better

Joe4th likes this.
  16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

this just doesn't work for me

17. Ya, not feeling it.

18. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Eek.

19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

this series is one of the only I've ever liked

hope the movie is worth at least a little bit

20. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

I'm just pissed that Dafoe's Ryuk is such an instigator in this adaptation. I get that it's probably the easiest way to set events in to motion with < 2 hours to get as much in as they can, but Ryuk's passive spectator relationship to the story was the best.

Your Milkshake and Joe4th like this.
  21. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Dafoe sounds literally exactly like Ryuk

electro haikus likes this.
  22. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

yeah his just wanting to be surprised or entertained after a lifetime of being bored or unstimulated is pretty genius and definitely has something to say about the human condition

electro haikus likes this.
  23. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Honestly when I read the manga, I read Ryuk as... not dumb, but aloof. Not particularly evil sounding. It's probably because he loved food so much.

24. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I'm wrapping up the series. Not big on the back half of this so far.

25. Dog with a Blog

Pretty much. The first half is really strong and then it really tanks.

Also, @ that clip, I can't get over the way L is sitting in that chair lol. Shit like that works in anime but looks so goofy in live action.