Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Note (Adam Wingard, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Viva Sonata, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

Debuts on Netflix in 2017.

Nat Wolff as Light Turner (Light Yagami)
    Willem Dafoe as Ryuk (voice)
    Keith Stanfield as L
    Margaret Quailey as Mia Sutton (Misa)

After years of corporate meddling, we finally have a cast and a director and filming is nearly complete.

Wingard most recently did an interview with Collider where he discussed working on the film with Jason Eisner as second-unit director (Hobo with a Shotgun) and the more adult, gory approached they've shot with this adaptation.

Will be it better for it? Will it be worse? Let's talk about it.

2. Luroda

Consistently Lurking

TIL huh. Loved the anime, haven't watched any of the live actions, might see this someday depending on the how it will be received.

3. Viva Sonata

The Japanese live action films are laughable at best. The opening scene of the first film is quite literally Light Yagami going through the school and like, shooting a hoop and waving hi to everyone, and then a girl shows up and comments on such coolness. With Dani California by RCHP in the background.

They're not worth it.

4. Luroda

Consistently Lurking

Ha! Thank you! Saved me the time. :)

5. Viva Sonata

Regardless of the obvious controversy surrounding the Americanization of the original content, I believe that there's a good movie with a sufficient level of camp that one can expect from a directing team like Eisner and Wingard.

And before you comment on the camp, just remember that this is the show where the main antagonist unironically shouts, "I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!"

6. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I know nothing about Death Note but sounds cool and Wingard gets high marks from me, here for it

7. michael_gatto

Trusted

With Wingard, Eisener and Dafoe involved I can't see this being bad. I haven't disliked anything Wingard has done so far (although I haven't seen the new Blair Witch yet) and Dafoe always brings a great presence to anything.

8. Viva Sonata

The premise is a little campy, but the original anime is very good and worth at least looking into, if not for specific moments of Light killing people with a goddamned notebook.

9. Luroda

Consistently Lurking

Plus Light and L's psychological chess match. I hope they'd be able to translate that well into this adaptation.

10. Viva Sonata

Agreed, I'm glad they're making those two the focus.

11. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Campy is a very good thing haha, might check out a book

12. Viva Sonata

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Yeah, everything I've heard about this sounds awful. There is expected explicit nudity?

14. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I really love the anime and have no interest in this

15. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Love the anime, but worried about this

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Joe likes this.
  17. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Looks bonkers, I'm in

18. Not exactly enthusiastic about this, but definitely curious. I like the talent involved with this.

19. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Really nervous about this.

20. devenstonow

Noobie

the quality of this strongly depends on how good the shinigami look like

21. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I like Wingard (even though I still haven't seen Blair Witch and don't hear great things) so I'll check it out at least. Not particularly excited or anything but I do think he could have an interesting take on the material.

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I was reading Death Note recently and thought to myself, "This shit could use more sexual tension!"

CarpetElf likes this.
  23. So, is this subject to the same white-washing criticism as Ghost in the Shell? They already made a live-action adaptation of Death Note with a Japanese cast. I'm just wondering what general thoughts are.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  24. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

I love Wingard and Death Note, so I really hope this works. The teaser looked pretty sweet.

25. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Not at all familiar with the source material, but I do like Adam Wingard.