Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Grips Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Jul 24, 2017.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Death Grips is an experimental hip hop group from Sacramento, California, formed in 2010. The group consists of rapper/vocalist MC Ride (Stefan Burnett), drummer/producer/songwriter Zach Hill, and recording engineer Andy Morin.[1][2] The band has featured guitarist Nick Reinhart of Tera Melos on their albums Fashion Week, Jenny Death and Bottomless Pit. Their musical style draws on hip hop, punk, electronic, noise, and industrial.

Figured we should have a thread just dedicated to the band. I was listening to a lot of DG (and The Weeknd) last week for whatever reason and remembered why I loved them so much. Bottomless Pit still slaps and The Money Store remains my favorite album of theirs but I found a new appreciation for The Powers That B and No Love Deep Web. Government Plates is probably my least favorite but it still has some good tracks. The new song/Ep whatever is also really good and super wild I hope the new album follows suit.

I think after my run through Hacker is my favorite DG track

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Started hearing about DG for the first time last year when Bottomless Pit was coming out, had never even known about them before that. I listened to it and was, honestly, so confused at first. But as it went on it really clicked and I wound up enjoying it a lot. There's definitely nothing else that sounds like them out there.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

the appeal to me has always been MC Ride and his lyrics. I love Rides view on the world/life and I love that his way of telling people NOT to be awful murderous psychos is by portraying the worst kind of awful murderous psycho and taking the stereotypes generally attributed to hip hop/punk and blowing them up to these massive, hyperbolic depictions. I dont know if I necessarily consider myself a nihilist but i do certainly identify with some of those beliefs and that also helps my appeal.

Not to mention the band is just batshit crazy when it comes to production and sound.

4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

haven't listened to them in years but seeing them live/following them intensely during the nldw era was wild

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  5. Horrorca

Trusted

when the Björk sample hits on Up My Sleeves and the song explodes I feel like punching life in the face

6. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

cool band

7. PauLo

43% Burnt

Been listening to these guys for the first time in years recently. Ride's vocals can be a little grating at times, but the beats always hit hard.

8. I still really like their last album, but I haven't listened to it or any others in a while.

9. PauLo

43% Burnt

Been having a bit of a Death Grips sesh these past couple of weeks. Need to give their last two a listen as they never clicked before.

10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

@Zac Hills are you trying to hide your true identity?