Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Cab for Cutie Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I agree with this.

Narrow Stairs is my favorite Death Cab album. I think it's super diverse, and it has my favorite Death Cab opener.

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

"Everything's a Ceiling" is my second favourite on Kintsugi, I love that so much.

3. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

FTank approves these messages.

4. Deathco_019

Drummer

I think El Dorado and Ingenue are good cuts, but I agree that the album falls off after the first four tracks.

5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Everything on Kintsugi is good except for "El Dorado." The last two tracks are as good as any of the first four.

jordalsh likes this.
  6. Binary Sea always needs more love

7. SpyKi

I like "El Dorado" more than "Ingénue", "Good Help" or "You've Haunted Me". I think "Good Help" is the weakest song on there. Agree with the "Binary Sea" love though.

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I haven't been a big fan of anything post Narrow Stairs. Every time their newer singles come on the radio I find myself changing the station.

9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Good Help is unlistenable to me. Don't like Haunted or Hold No Guns either, and they really mess with the sequencing right in the middle of the album

10. Craig Manning

The sequencing is also fine.

11. SpyKi

"Hold No Guns" is a great little song.

12. Craig Manning

I love it. People got weird about there being two acoustic ballads in a row. Like, why?

13. they're pretty different too, Hold No Guns is bare bones and Haunted...isn't

14. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Where are these people for the new 1975...?

15. Craig Manning

Hey, I've seen a few people drop the same criticism of that album. Probably not as many because it's at the end of the record instead of in the middle? I guess?

16. cshadows2887

The double ballad is such a cool trick. I loved when Envy on the Coast did it on Lucy Gray. We're actually doing it on the self-titled, too

17. Craig Manning

Maybe it's that I listen to a lot of country/singer-songwriter/folk albums, but it's never bothered me. I think it can work really well if the songs are both good. I will also probably do this on the album I am working on now.

18. cshadows2887

It's all about pairing them together in a way that makes sense and is suite-like

19. Craig Manning

Yeah, definitely. I mean hell, my favorite albums from 2015, 2014, and 2013 are extremely ballad heavy, so clearly I don't view it as a minus.

20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I could forgive the weird sequencing and double ballad thing if they were good songs in the first place, but I just don't really enjoy them. Again, I have no reason to continue that album after Little Wanderer

21. Sophos

Regular

i really only like everything up to and including trans. plans is decent enough, but narrow stairs, codes and keys, and kintsungi are varying degrees of mediocre and bad.

fuck me if those first however many dont completely take me to a different world tho. right around this time of year is when i bust those albums out, really good stuff for both rainy spring days and sunny spring days, very good for the outdoors in general, which is what i love about death cab's music, it has a very airy feel to it.

22. Sophos

Regular

nothing wrong with it if the songs are good enough. if they arent, its easy to see why it might slog the record down for some. in regards to the 1975, that doesn't happen whatsoever and they are two of the best songs there. in terms of death cab, well.....bit of a slog id say

FTank likes this.
  23. Craig Manning

Yeah, I know for most people it's just a matter of not liking the songs. I've just seen complaints for both albums that don't focus on them being poor songs, but just back to back ballads.

24. SpyKi

The best sections on most of their albums are back to back ballads really. They're just usually more piano based.

25. George

Trusted Prestigious

I could forgive any sequencing issues if the songs were good, and unfortunately I don't think this album had enough good songs.

FTank likes this.