Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Cab For Cutie - Thank You For Today (August 17, 2018) Album • Page 45

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 1, 2018.

1. Maverick

Trusted

The Blue EP comes out tonight right? Excited to listen, really liked “To The Ground” and the “We Looked Like Giants”/Narrow Stairs vibes that’s my absolute favorite stuff this band has done.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I'm not sure if this is or will be popular opinion, but I like this EP MUCH more than the album

3. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

This is excellent so far

4. Maverick

Trusted

To me the EP balances out pretty well on first listen. Starts out with a very strong song (To The Ground) to a quite good song (Kids In ‘99) then what I felt was the weakest song (Man In Blue, but not bad) of the ep to another standout (Before the Bombs) which I took an instant liking to. Then the last and very strong song (Blue Bloods) which I did quite like but sounded so very different then what I was used to hearing from DCFC.

5. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

The end of Blue Bloods is beautiful

Aaron Mook likes this.
  6. Fantastic EP

7. Syre Dream

Regular

Mary V and Serenity Now like this.
  8. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Yea, this EP is sick. What a great gift for the fall

Aaron Mook, Mary V and waking season like this.
  9. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Excited to listen later!!

10. delvec19

Trusted

Liked this a lot on my morning commute.

11. ImAMetaphor

I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but I feel like their next full-length is going to be the best thing they've done in a long, long time

12. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

this is the best thing since narrow stairs damn this is v v v good

ImAMetaphor and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  13. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Yep it’s excellent. Might fuck around and listen to some DCFC today

14. ImAMetaphor

Never a bad decision

sonder and Mary V like this.
  15. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I haven't spent a whole lot of time with TYFT, but after listening to this EP a few times I kinda feel like the highs on this are little bit higher. I don't love the whole thing, but 3 of these songs are absolutely incredible.

"Blue Bloods" in particular is probably my favorite song from them in 10 years or so.

16. ImAMetaphor

TYFT is good, but tbh the highs from both C&K and Kintsugi are both a bit higher to me.

I kinda want to make a playlist with my favorite tracks from those 3 records, because I bet it'd stack up against at least a few of their older albums.

Brother Beck and Joe4th like this.
  17. I enjoy most of their discography, even Codes & Keys. To be honest, the only reason I can hardly listen to Kintsugi is because I see my relationship with my ex in a lot of those songs and I can’t handle it. Maybe I need more therapy. It’s unhealthy to still be totally debilitated by certain songs. ANYWAY. I don’t really vibe with their first two albums. A bunch of great songs on both, but they’ve never clicked. I understand that the lo-fi production and atmosphere has a certain charm to it, but it’s never done much for me.

Thank You For Today, on the other hand, is a wonderful and clever album, has zero associations with my ex, came along when I’m actually starting to get nostalgic about some people and experiences, and it’s given me a lot of comfort in the last year. I personally really need more mellow, well produced albums where the songs hit even harder live. It gives me that same longing feeling to see the beauty in all things that Coldplay’s Ghost Stories does.

The Blue EP is brilliant and I’ll be listening to it a lot over spring (yay for reversed seasons). I just don’t believe it’s the best thing since Narrow Stairs. I don’t know how they do it, but they always seem to capture a certain mood or style that I’ve been craving in music. To me, Death Cab are one of the most startlingly consistent bands in indie rock.

18. manoverboard365

Trusted

OMG Before the Bombs! The ending to Blue Bloods!

This EP is their strongest release in a long time.

Serenity Now and waking season like this.
  19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Thank You for Today and Ghost Stories are both very underrated albums.

20. They are gold

21. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’m loving how heavy this is by Death Cab standards, the drums especially

22. manoverboard365

Trusted

Backing the TYFT and Ghost Stories love. I thought TYFT was a solid return to form for Death Cab, and Ghost Stories is my 2nd favorite Coldplay album. They both flow so well.

23. ImAMetaphor

I’ll emphasize that I don’t dislike any of their albums, I just fall into the group of people who think Narrow Stairs marked the end of an era of truly great albums. But it’s all super subjective, and I still think their worst record is better than most band’s best.

24. oh shit Blue Bloods damn

All the east coast blue bloods come out west
    And I watch them argue about who loved you the best
    I was conspicuously of my kind
    Overdressed, but woefully under-refined
    Well‚ the story held together like boulders with a piece of twine

offislandghost and dylan like this.
  25. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I loved TYFT and Kintsugi but this all does sound pretty exciting!

Mary V, ImAMetaphor and waking season like this.