Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Cab For Cutie - Thank You For Today (August 17, 2018) Album • Page 13

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 1, 2018.

1. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Really wished I liked this new song more... was really curious based on the track name, but was underwhelmed my first listen.

2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I haven't listened to these guys in any real way in over a decade. I remember going crazy for Plans when it came out but then falling off around the time of Narrow Stairs. I've loved both of these songs released so far immediately. Really good stuff. Can't wait to hear the rest of it.

The effects on his vocals are a little bit odd for someone with a great singing voice but to me they arent that big of a deal. I can still hear the guy perfectly clearly. The new Jim James album Uniform Distortion has some good examples of effects on the vocals killing the song, particularly the song Throwback. Sounds like my man is singing from across the room into a crappy mic with a wet blanket thrown over it.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I told Ben to do the vocal effects and they are going to rerecord all their albums with it

seriously though I'm digging the 80s (Psychedelic Furs maybe?) vibes

4. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah I like this more on second listen, it's got a groove to it

5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I’m surprised some people don’t like the new song- I think it’s stellar. Definitely a lot better than Gold Rush.

With that said, I’m positive Gold Rush will sound better when listening to the full record as a whole.

6. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I love both of these songs. Fully in on new Death Cab.

Mary V and Nate_Johnson like this.
  7. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

I got a Talking Heads vibe from it myself

8. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

this is their best stuff since narrow stairs. can’t wait.

9. new song is nice, not the knockout that No Room In Frame was but I like it. I think this album is going in a great direction personally

i am now of the opinion that gold rush kinda kicks ass, i love the way it builds up these layers. i think it's a very cool song

Larry David likes this.
  10. "I Dreamt We Spoke" is much, much better than "Gold Rush." Finally a song where I feel like his new vocal style actually works

also the song sounds like my band lol

11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I like this new song. It does remind me of Foster The People though.

I also think it’s a weird opener, but hopefully it fits better when we can hear the entire album.

12. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

Jason killed it on this one.

Also this in to Gold Rush is really good, kind of wish it was that way on the track list.

I’m also now firmly sure that Gold Rush is brilliant.

MatthewDuke and teebs41 like this.
  13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I like the song overall but really could do without the vocal effects

14. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Listened to Death Cab all day today. Codes and Keys has some excellent drumming-- something I've never really noticed before.

Also listening to all of Transatlanticism while driving in the rain is an experience everyone must have before dying.

15. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

The new song is way better than the first one. I’m back in on this!

16. I still go to bat for Codes and Keys being a really interesting record, better than the rest of their post-Plans output. "Unobstructed Views" is a career highlight

17. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I think Narrow Stairs is their best since Plans but Codes and Keys is a really interesting record. Agreed on Unobstructed Views.

primavera likes this.
  18. Gooddayz

always and forever

I love the drumming on Home Is A Fire.

19. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

20. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

It’s their most varied and most interesting record musically in my opinion. Walla knocked it out of the park.

ChaseTx, Gooddayz and OotyPa like this.
  21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Narrow Stairs is definitely my favorite post-Plans record too

22. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Hell, depending on my mood I prefer it to Plans sometimes.

23. Narrow Stairs has some great songs, but it's still never clicked with me the way it seems to with other people ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Narrow Stairs is their best, period.

Gooddayz, ChiliTacos and teebs41 like this.
  25. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Narrowstairs is my favorite post plans as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯