Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Cab For Cutie - Thank You For Today (August 17, 2018) Album • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 1, 2018.

1. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Currently watching that stream and fuck they sound awesome. I love how McGerr goes off a lot more live than on record.

2. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

God they were so good. Amazing to see them in such a small venue. The new songs sounded really good, and songs like Cath and A Moviescript Ending were so good.

I also didn't expect them to play Title and Registration and was actually amazed when they did and grabbed my friend shouting "OH FUCK" aha.

3. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Also Ben is the sweatiest man ever.

4. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I really dig everything about Gold Rush except the effect on the lead vocal. It would be effective in the bridge when the instruments die down but throughout the entire song doesn’t do it for me.

5. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Holy fuck watching it back online is so fun! I can see myself.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Contender likes this.
  7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

That song sounded very good live the other day. The whole song has grown on me. Even the repetitive use of the phrase Gold Rush is now something I really enjoy

8. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I didn't even notice the "Gold Rushhh" chanting in the song until seeing that live video

It kinda bugs me that the whole song, Ben looks like he's about to do something interesting on the guitar and he never does. There's space and the song could use it.

9. Patrick

All three of the new songs sounded really good at Meltdown Festival on Monday. I think I Dreamt We Spoke Again is my favourite, although Gold Rush is very catchy, and I am fully on board with the chanting.

10. I have gold rush stuck in my head all the time

11. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

I think I’ll like Gold Rush even more when I’ve learnt the lyrics

12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I heard the single at a coffee shop today and cringed

13. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

man that track is a huge swing and a miss. they’re really close to something solid, the jangle of that slide guitar, the first half of the chord progression in the verse, it’s not like there’s not some good moments. But the backup vox are atrocious, the verse pattern doesn’t resolve too pleasantly, and the hook is hardly there. uninspired, middle of the road AC and i hope walla leaving doesn’t prove to be this band’s death knell.

Still gonna be fair to the record but yeah

14. Aaron Mook Jun 25, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 25, 2018)
    Live version of "Gold Rush" kind of cements the reasons I don't like it, but I've come around to weirder songs (see: Weezer's past few lead singles), so who knows. Gotta check out those other live songs.

edit: these other songs sound so much better wtf

teebs41 and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  15. Paddy

// _ _ _ _ _ _ _ //

I think Gold Rush is really good now

jordalsh likes this.
  16. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I heard an acoustic version on Facebook and it sounded a lot nicer like that. Still don't like the regular version.

17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Looking forward to this. Last album had a handful of stuff I really liked. Still haven't "loved" a Death Cab album since Narrow Stairs though.

Gooddayz likes this.
  18. I love Kintsugi. i really needed that record when it came out

19. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I need to get around to Kintsugi. Maybe tomorrow

20. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Kintsugi is excellent and it came out at the perfect time for me. I have fond memories of it soundtracking my last few months of college.

ChaseTx likes this.
  21. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, Kintsugi is horrendously under rated, and I'd argue Codes and Keys is also unfairly maligned.

Personally I don't think this band have put out a bad record.

22. zmtr

Trusted

Haven't listened to a full album since Plans tbh but I love the new single. I have some catching up to do.

23. Narrow Stairs Narrow Stairs Narrow Stairssssss

24. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Gold Rush is the single worst Death Cab song, no hyperbole.

25. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Listened to Kintsugi this morning. I was pretty into it at first but it tapered a bit to the end, but then it's often that way the first time I hear an album. I'll give it another listen this afternoon