Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Cab for Cutie Share Recording of Their First Show

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Death Cab for Cutie have shared a recording of their first show 20 years ago today. You can stream that below.

This is a recording of the first ever Death Cab for Cutie show. It was made by our friend Trevor Adams on his dictaphone at The Pacer House in Bellingham, Washington on November 22, 1997. Sprawled across couches and sitting crosslegged on the floor were 25 of our closest friends and fellow musicians. Everyone played acoustic or semi-acoustic with no PA. Trevor made and passed bowl after bowl of microwave popcorn because he was (and I assume still is) a great host.

Chris Walla and I had just finished the You Can Play These Songs with Chords cassette and we thought it would be fun to play a few shows around Bellingham to celebrate the release. We recruited Nick Harmer to play bass and Walla’s childhood friend Nathan Good to play drums. None of us thought we were starting a band nor did our ambitions for DCfC extend very far past this particular evening. We simply thought it would be fun to play these songs for our friends before moving on to other things.

I remain forever grateful to Trevor for inviting us to play in his living room 20 years ago today. It was one of the greatest nights of my life at the time and its significance has only grown since.

Benjamin Gibbard
    Death Cab for Cutie
    November 22, 2017

2. shawnhyphenray

Regular

I thought this was gonna be a video, but still interesting to hear

3. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

They sound really good? Hard to believe this is a recording from the first show..

palebluedot likes this.
  4. The Format

Regular

Sounds good.

5. This is so rad. I'll never get over how raw those first two Death Cab records sound. All-timers for sure.