Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Death Cab for Cutie Performs on Ellen

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Death Cab for Cutie performed “Gold Rush” on Ellen yesterday.

On that note, am I the only one that thinks this is the wrong single to promote from this album? I think this is a solid album, but this song is in the bottom tier.

2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

I think it's one of the most immediately accessible songs on the album. But the "Gold rush" kind of gets old after a while.

3. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

"Gold Rush" is a terrible single. Northern Lights or Your Hurricane would have been much better in my opinion.

AutopilotYears and Ryhaan like this.
  4. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I just hate the chant in the song. Get's old fast.

5. reachingfor

Regular Supporter

I love the new album but the repetition of Gold Rush drives me nuts. I was so annoyed I counted the amount of times they say “Gold Rush”... 51 TIMES

parkerxcore and moosic like this.
  6. Kristopherkshinn

This song just doesn't sound right live... Maybe it's just the tv mixes I've heard, but compared to the record, the live version just sounds a little wacky. Anyone else agree?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  7. NitrateDawn

Regular

It makes sense as a single since it's the most upbeat thing on the album. I enjoy it but yeah it's definitely bottom tier.

somethingliketj likes this.
  8. somethingliketj

And that's why you always leave a note.

I think out of any of the songs, it was the most natural choice. Certainly not one of the best songs on the album, but that's not unusual for them.

9. Collins

Trusted

I agree with y'all that Gold Rush is in the bottom tier of the album, but I think it was the most obvious choice for the lead single. Understandable they wouldn't want to put out a more mid tempo song first. Your Hurricane would be a great second single.

10. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

this song almost made me not check out the album tbh... and the album's pretty good!

11. ineverlose

It's funny...I feel like the general consensus about this song is more negative than positive, and I honestly love it. It's kinda weird, but something about it just works for me. Regardless, I think it's more about the fact that it just doesn't sound as good when performed live (or on TV) as it does on the album...I definitely agree with that. Probably should have gone with Northern Lights or Your Hurricane as the lead single based on the fact that they'd be performing on all of these shows for promotion.

12. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Just watched the performance... holy lol

1) the chants are 10x worse live (I see them next week in Berkeley so I wonder how it’ll sound then..)

2) that live audience is pure cringe

13. AutopilotYears

Regular

yeah this song is by far the worst song on an otherwise great album. i almost wrote off the album based on this song but decided to give it a chance anyway and its far better than this song lets on.

mattylikesfilms likes this.