Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Deadwood TV Show • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Just started this series last week and now I’m on episode 4 of season 2. So I’m gonna assume Al’s gonna spend this whole season sick in his room? The end of the last episode with Doc digging for the stones. Made me squirm and cringe so goddamn hard!

Overall this show is exciting to watch and I can’t believe it’s taken this long for me to see it.

2. Full Effect Ed

So I just watched the film, and even as a very fresh fan of the series I found myself in tears for the final 5 minutes.

To all of you OG fans of the series, you guys deserved this film.

kyle likes this.
  3. eagles1139

Regular

Finished the series last night and thought, well I know this isn't the end but I'll be damned if "Wants me to tell him something pretty" isn't the greatest final line of all time.

And then

"Let him fucking stay there"

I've had chills for ten minutes. What an incredible work of art.

4. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I've been thinking about this line constantly since I saw the movie. might be the greatest final line to any show

5. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

seen this a few times now and only gets better with repeated viewings. enjoy these characters so so much

Rowan5215 likes this.
  6. Rowan5215

I can't believe this thread only has 3 pages, one of the greatest shows of all time

7. eagles1139

Regular

Cant think of any show that comes close. Both Season 3’s final line, and the movie’s final line, are so perfect on so many levels — for Al’s character, for the overall story, and for what the story says about human nature at large.

Also, as someone who thought Bullock wasn’t the most interesting character in the series, Timothy Olyphant KILLED it in the movie. There was definitely a fair bit of Raylan Givens in this version of Bullock, but it still felt like a perfect evolution of that character. His delivery of “We ask respite, for a good man’s soul” has choked me up the 5 times I’ve watched that scene.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  8. Rowan5215

his final scene with Fields talking about Charlie as a witness of God was breathtaking, too. I haven't seen Justified but I think there was a massive improvement with Olyphant from the show to the film

9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Just started this show. I’ve only heard it’s like the best thing ever. I’m not really into Westerns to be honest but wanted to try it out. The first episode definitely has me interested though. Hoping there’s more female representation as the episodes go on.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  10. Rowan5215

it's more of an anti-Western, or a revisionist Western I think some reviewers call it. definitely not your standard genre fare either way

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

There is and it’s great.

OotyPa likes this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

Dakota isn't considered the West, and the show isn't really about that anyway. The show barely even leaves the camp at all. It is a political drama; don't let the site of hats and horses dissuade you.

13. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Not to quibble, but South Dakota (especially the western half) is absolutely the “west”. Deadwood basically sits on the Wyoming border. It’s only considered Midwest for government census purposes and the like.

I would describe it as a show about how communities form and evolve over time. There’s a preacher character who gives a speech in season 1 that pretty much lays out the entire thesis for the show.

14. eagles1139

Regular

If you're interested in this sort of thing, the writer Matt Zoller Seitz is raising money for his Deadwood book to be published next year. It's a fully illustrated book designed to resemble an old bible. Fingers crossed it gets funded.

A Lie Agreed Upon: The Deadwood Chronicles

15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I definitely didn't get the vibe it was a traditional Western, speaking only in terms of genre.

My first impressions are that Al's a dick, Bill Hickock is a badass, and I hope Trixie gets redemption somehow. Dialogue is great, but more "cocksuckers" than I think I was ready for. I won't be staying in the thread long to avoid spoilers, but I'm excited to share my thoughts with y'all as I go along.

16. Full Effect Ed

Yeah I watched the series for my first time a few weeks ago. “Cocksucker” is standard for this show, in fact I clapped as soon as I heard the first “cocksucker” once I got to the movie lol. Enjoy it, it’s one hell of a ride with the perfect final few moments. I’ve watched the movie three times now and it’s impossible to not cry at that ending.

17. Morrissey

Trusted

These definitions get very complicated. It is defined as Midwest, but you can always make the cultural or historical argument. We deal with it all the time in Florida and the stigma of being a part of "the South" even though you only see that in the northern and less inhabited part of the state.

18. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Movie was very enjoyable. We were robbed of at least 2 excellent seasons of television.

19. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I'm watching for the first time and what a damn treat this has been. I'm on season 2. The storyline with Al having kidney stones has had me in stitches. I love how emotional Dan is about Al being sick, and not being able to communicate with Mr. Wu. Any time Al screams out in pain, I am laughing like some kind of sadist. This shot of all of them on the bed is perfection.

[​IMG]

20. Rowan5215

Doc is probably my favourite character in the entire show. Brad mf Dourif

Victor Eremita likes this.
  21. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This is probably my favorite show.

22. Morrissey

Trusted

I am in the middle of rewatching it. It is probably the best show at adding different layers to its cast. Everyone is acting within their own interests rather than serving as plot devices.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  23. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i need to rewatch. its been a minute.

24. Morrissey

Trusted

Swearengen and Bullock get all the attention, but Farnum is by far the best character. A pure weasel, but an understandable one.

25. Gonna rewatch soon, as well.