Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Deadwood TV Show • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Kal El

The sidewalks are watching me think about you.

The movie is so good and if this is the last thing Milch will write -- I'm fine with it. It took more than 13 years but it's spectacular.

2. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I can’t wait to see the movie. I hope it reminds people how the original series is one of the greatest ever made.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  3. Morrissey

Trusted

I assume the writer forgot about Silas Afams, because previous reports were that he wasn't going to be in this.

4. Kal El

Silas is not in the movie not because Milch forgot about him, I think Titus Welliver had scheduling issues.

5. Kal El

Make no mistakes -- this is for fans of the show only. I've seen the movie and it kinda works as a standalone piece, but prior knowledge of the show is needed and rewarded.

6. Morrissey

Trusted

I know. I was referring to the writer of the review who said everyone was back with the exception of dead actors.

7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

My heart breaks every time I think of what Milch is going through, but it’s so amazing and satisfying that this is finally happening. The early reviews have me even more excited. Can’t wait to cry my eyes out in a few weeks.

8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

man i can’t wait

9. You saw the movie already? What are your thoughts?

10. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

what the fuck someone has sseen the movie already?

11. Kal El

I am a huge fan of the show, it's one of the best thing TV has ever given us.

The movie takes it's time. If you've just binged the show or have been watching some of the episodes preparing for the movie -- it takes a little while of getting used to it. It's filmed in a wider aspect ratio and I think it is using different cameras because it's a little bit off. Well, not off -- just different than the show.

I enjoyed it very much, the air was dusty a couple of times and I cried happy tears when the first "cocksucker" was uttered (3 minutes in). I won't spoil the story but it's... differently paced than the show because it's not an episode. It's everything I hoped it would be but it's also a little bittersweet.

kyle and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  12. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

cannot wait. will cry.

13. jbaseball44 May 22, 2019
    (Last edited: May 22, 2019)
    jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

jkauf, Shakriel, airik625 and 2 others like this.
  14. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i love him

15. jbaseball44

reviews have been pretty glowing so far

16. tucah

not champ Prestigious

well the movie was just about everything i could have wanted. we're so very lucky to have gotten to spend another couple hours in deadwood.

17. Watching now; so excited!

18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  19. That was great! Wonderful ending to the series. I can’t wait to watch the entire series over again.

20. jbaseball44 Jun 1, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 1, 2019)
    jbaseball44

film is lovely stuff, need to watch it again over the course of the next week but it's a great ending to the story arc. Olyphant is terrific

21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Mistimed this watchthrough so I’ll be a little late getting to the movie. Definitely wanted it fresh in my mind though, so I think it will be worth the wait. I’m so thrilled that all the reviews have been so positive.

22. jbaseball44

last lines in the film are perfect I feel like

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

There is a lot wrong with the plot. As impulsive as Trixie is, it is hard to believe she would go out there and put her life, her baby's life, and everyone that initially defended her on the line, especially since she mourned the death of Jen to save her a decade prior. At least when she shot Hearst in the third season she was emotionally distraught and had a plan to throw the guards off of her. A lot of the plot feels like a repeat of season three: Hearst needs one more piece of land, a respected camp elder won't give it to him, so he murders them and the town reacts. Some of the character development is reset; Jane had shown real growth in season three, but seems back to her old ways here, and Joanie was adamant about not running a brothel after she saw the ways women, including herself, were abused and ultimately murdered. The flashbacks are cringe-inducing; if you didn't remember moments as pivotal as Wild Bill's death or Trixie shooting Hearst, you probably should not be watching the movie. Alma feels absent a lot, a result of the actress having only the weekends to shoot her scenes. Sometimes it feels like they were shoehorning characters in that didn't fit; as great as Con Stapleton is, would his character ever actually become some sort of preacher?

With those things being said, Deadwood was at its strongest by making us feel a sense of community, and it feels great to go to this lived-in world with fully formed characters that have spent so much time battling their weaknesses. The scenes between Bullock and Alma are particularly great, showing the ways in which people can move on completely but be reduced to their most basic emotional states when old feelings return. It is handled in such a delicate way, with Martha acknowledging her husband's heart never truly being in their relationship but also knowing that Bullock made that choice years ago, while Alma knows that all of her professional success and stewardship of Sofia has never filled the void left from the death of two husbands and the inability to be with Bullock. It is a lot of appreciation of the small moments that allow us to fill in the blanks; how different is the relationship between Wu and Swearengen now that they have an interpreter? At what point did Sol Star learn to actually be convincing while holding a gun? How many times has Charlie's rambling forced Bullock to ask him to get to the point?

It would have been better as a final season, being allowed to breathe and spend more time with the characters with limited screen time. That would have allowed them to add more characters to make the town feel like it is truly passing on to the new generation. Even with that, it is quite beautiful in several parts, and it is easy to see Milch's struggle in retaining his thoughts as he struggles with Alzheimer's and Swearengen finding himself slowly succumbing to his liver disease. We say goodbye to Swearengen, but we are really saying goodbye to David Milch and to Deadwood the town, in a way that seemed like it would never happen after it was canceled. It was already one of the greatest shows ever before the film, but people let that lack of conclusion keep it from full consideration. Now that the show has that, it can properly be assessed as one of the Great Works of American Television. It is fitting that the show takes place in South Dakota, as Deadwood belongs on a proverbial television Mount Rushmore, along with contemporaries like The Sopranos and The Wire.

24. jbaseball44

25. BackyardHero11

Trusted

while it obviously would have been amazing to spend more time with these characters, this was such a satisfying reunion, showcase of as many great moments as they could, and to then say goodbye. wasn't a huge fan of the flashbacks because the show never really used that style so it was jarring, but it was fine.

kyle likes this.