Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Deadwood TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Deadwood is an American western television series created, produced, and largely written by David Milch[1] and aired on the premium cable network HBO from March 21, 2004, to August 27, 2006, spanning three 12-episode seasons. The show is set in the 1870s in Deadwood, South Dakota, before and after the area's annexation by the Dakota Territory. The series charts Deadwood's growth from camp to town, incorporating themes ranging from the formation of communities to western capitalism. The show features a large ensemble cast, and many historical figures appear as characters—such as Seth Bullock, Al Swearengen, Wild Bill Hickok, Sol Star, Calamity Jane, Wyatt Earp, George Crook, E. B. Farnum, Charlie Utter, Jack McCall, and George Hearst. The plot lines involving these characters include historical truths as well as substantial fictional elements. Milch used actual diaries and newspapers from 1870s Deadwood residents as reference points for characters, events, and the look and feel of the show. Some of the characters are fully fictional, although they may have been based on actual persons.

2. tucah

not champ Prestigious

kyle and LightWithoutHeat like this.
  3. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

God I hope it happens. This might be my favorite show even over deadwood.

4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

huh?

cjuhero likes this.
  5. imthegrimace

Meant even over the wire. I'm dumb.

6. Morrissey

Trusted

Ian McShane Thought He Had Seen It All, Then Along Came ‘American Gods’

7. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Just started watching this with my grandparents. Four episodes in and I recognize basically everyone including one line characters from something else. What a cast.

8. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

With your grandparents? That’s gonna get awkward haha.

Kellan likes this.
  9. tucah

not champ Prestigious

airik625 likes this.
  10. imthegrimace

Whaaaaaaat????

11. Morrissey

Trusted

I came here just to post that.

Hopefully more people will try the original show as a result. It has largely been forgotten.

12. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

This show was so great. Shame it didn't get a longer run, because it sure deserved it. Hope the movie is amazing.

13. kupe

Regular

I have been meaning to check this out. Seems like a good time to now

14. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i gotta rewatch now. i miss this show so much.

15. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

This is so wild.

16. Morrissey

Trusted

kyle likes this.
  17. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Time to finally watch this I think.

18. Morrissey

Trusted

Back in August the guy who played Dan Dority said that everyone alive (actor and character) is coming back except Silas Adams. His interactions with Dan were so fun, so that will be missed.

Deadwood is possibly the greatest show of all time, and Milch has consistently done great work, so it should an important work, but the way they frame it as a "reunion" in the show sounds iffy.

20. Looks good to me.

21. Morrissey

Trusted

The lack of Silas and Tolliver is going to be a letdown, but Milch always delivers.

22. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

yesss

23. EASheartsVinyl and airik625 like this.
  24. Morrissey

Trusted

I didn't know that Milch had Alzheimer's before I read that review. One of the greatest creators of television. John from Cincinnati was criminally overlooked.

phaynes12 likes this.