Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dead Kennedys Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by George, Mar 18, 2016.

1. George

Trusted Prestigious

Dead Kennedys are an American hardcore punk band formed in San Francisco, California in 1978. The band was one of the first American hardcore bands to make a significant impact in the United Kingdom.

Dead Kennedys released four studio albums and one EP before disbanding in 1986. Since the band's dissolution, vocalist Jello Biafra has continued to collaborate and record with other artists. In 2001, the band reformed without Biafra, who had been in an acrimonious legal dispute with the remaining members over royalties.

Ignore the reformed band, the real band finished in the 80s.

[​IMG]

Essential listening; Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables is easily one of the best albums produced from that 80s American punk scene.

RIYL: Any political punk band that came after them takes a big influence from them, with their sardonic style. They were also a bit more progressive and experimental than often given credit for. The Frankenchrist album is a great example of a "progressive" punk record. Unlike some of their contemporaries, they were absolutely fantastic song-writers.

2. George

Trusted Prestigious

They were hugely influential on me as a kid when I first started getting into politics, their music and views were pretty key during that formative time. However, unlike other political bands that fell away, I still listen to them regularly, because they were fantastic song-writers. They had all the snottiness and brattiness about 80s hardcore that is so appealing and joyous, but with the musical chops to make them stand out amongst their peers. Them, Husker Du and The Replacements were the most talented bands to come out of that era, and I feel they maybe don't get quite the credit they deserve.

3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

When our family got our cat when I was 13 I wanted to name him Jello. My brother had naming rights though.

4. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

omg my faves. I idolized Jello so much as a kid and they are still one of my fave bands. My motto in life was basically "What would Jello do?" and I thought I was so cool and edgy