Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

DC Cinematic Universe Movie • Page 43

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

quietwords and Davjs like this.
  3. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Lol I love jokes like this.

CW Supergirl is really really bad.

smowashere likes this.
  4. Tim

Why haven't I blocked your awful opinions yet? lol, but really.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  5. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I would like to point out that I didn't state the actress is a bad Supergirl because she isn't. It's just by far the worst out of the CW shows.

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

drewinseries and Whalejaw like this.
  7. Why’s that do it?

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Ruby has consistently lacked emotion in every role I've ever seen her in. She really pulled down Orange to the point where I couldn't watch it anymore, though it was admittedly getting bad.

I'm all about Batwoman being played by a gay woman, but this was just not the right choice. Give me Ellen Page or ANYONE else.

9. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I don't really mind the casting, I mind it's the CW and part if the Arrowverse. They are so hit and miss it drives me batty.

Hey, as long as Batgirl isn't being used and there's no way to ruin her character then I'm fine because she's on of my facfavor DC heroes.

10. I liked her in Pitch Perfect 3. She seems as capable as Stephen Amell at the very least. Not like TV shows are lighting it up with acting talent here. (Meh, OITNB was bad way before she joined the cast and Ellen Page is too big an actor.)

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I feel like it's a good fit for a network like the CW that wants someone people know but isn't going to get a bigger name

12. I'm in on her.

coleslawed and Nathan like this.
  14. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

i'm looking forward to seeing her as Batwoman

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Ruby Rose Leaves Twitter In Wake Of ‘Batwoman’ Backlash

I may have feelings about the casting, but there is never any reason to go after the actors. This is a trend that really needs to go away. Going forward, I hope she does continue in the role and turns heads. I want to love this show.

16. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

What an awful time we live in. I also don't understand who has been criticising her... the LGBTQ community?

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Most people have been critical of her acting. I've only seen good things said about her ties with the community.

18. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Oh, I hadn't followed the story so was confused by this bit of the article:
    Read it a few times through to try and understand but got thoroughly confused as to who was criticising who.

19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

You are right. I was mostly going off what I had seen. Admittedly, I only took a quick look at the article before posting.

It is a pretty confusing thing. I can't really tell where the sentiment is coming from.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  20. Davjs

Trusted

People had the same complaint with Gal Gadot right? And that turned out great. Why can't people wait for the product to come out before judging.....or are we asking too much.

21. drewinseries

Drew

I'm not really a fan of her casting currently, but I felt similarly about Gal Gadot, and I love her as Diana. But, even though I don't like Rose's casting currently, I just don't understand why people feel they have the right to harass because of something they don't like. The entitlement of this media is so awful.

Davjs likes this.
  22. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

The criticisms I’ve seen are:

1) She is the obvious “lesbian” choice. And the CW should have given another lesbian actor the chance to breakout.

2) Rose is somehow not sufficiently lesbian enough because she rose to prominence for her gender fluidity and not her lesbian identity. Or something along those lines. It’s a bit hard to nail down this specific criticism.

3) Lastly, people are mad they cast a non-Jew to play a Jewish character.

23. Tim

I've seen criticism online based on Ruby having outed Demi Lovato, which is a fair criticism. I don't know the specifics of that situation, so if that was a one time misstep and not a pattern of behavior, I don't think it's a big deal, especially since they seem to be good friends? But, it's a fair red flag.

I haven't read as much Batwoman stuff as I'd like. I read Elegy years ago and own but haven't read the first few volumes of the New 52 run. Is her Jewish identity a big part of the character? If so, I'd say she should've been cast with a Jewish actress. (Much like how, when the F4 get rebooted, the Thing HAS to be Jewish. And, as much as I love Ellen Page, Kitty Pryde also needs to be Jewish.) If it's not really part of the character outside of background trivia, though, I don't really care that much.

Having a problem with her gender fluidity sounds dumb, though if someone has a more nuanced and educated take on that, I'll listen. I wouldn't want a trans man playing Batwoman because trans men are men, but I don't think fluidity erases womanhood? Unless the individual is, say, anti female pronouns, etc., which I don't think Ruby is? I don't claim to be an expert here, though.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  24. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I hadn’t seen the criticism surrounding Demi. That seems valid.

As for the Jewish identity, I’ll say that it’s been clearly established that she is Jewish. But I bet there hasn’t been more than a passing reference to that fact in the last five years or so.

When Rucka and co. originally launched her in 2007, they tended to pepper their stories with more details.

That said, I don’t mean to trivialize it. I’m sure there are many out there who view her Jewishness as a source of pride. But as of late, writers have tended to make her sexuality and her military history the crucial part of her identity. But those things do tend to fluctuate with whoever is writing. I’m sure if she got a Jewish writer, you’d see more of that part of her.

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Sigh